First boot up confusion for noob build

wakkoguy

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2003
This is my first rig I've built. So I followe the rules and plugged everything in and I got nothing when I tried to boot up. So I unplugged everything but the essentials (video card, 1 stick of ddr ram) Now I get one long beep when the video card is not plugged into the power supply and one short beep when it is. When the molex connector from the psu to the vid card is not in, my cpu fan and video card fan spin up. however, when the video card is plugged in, nothing spins up. The ram is brand new corsair from new egg, mobo is new.

Any help would be great!

Nitro350Z

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
give us a full parts list - it always helps

Also it looks like you ps is not powerfull enough because when the vid card is plugged in none of the fans spin.

it might be a defective ps or its just not powerfull enough.

could also be a bad vid card, try testing it in another computer.

give us a full parts list - it always helps

Also it looks like you ps is not powerfull enough because when the vid card is plugged in none of the fans spin.

it might be a defective ps or its just not powerfull enough.

could also be a bad vid card, try testing it in another computer.

We can't really tell him to do anything until we know his parts list.....

FeareX

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Well thats strange that the system starts beeping if the GPU isnt getting its power :lol:

The extra power connector always has to be plugged in for stability.

For the rest, get that parts list

wakkoguy

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2003
Thanks for your help!
here's my parts list

Mobo
1gig of new corsair xms 3200 ddr ram
WD 250gb 7200rpm caviar edition Hard drive (not connected)
Benq dvd burner (not connected)
EVGA Geforce 6800
Antec smartpower 400
Sb live digital (not connected)
P4 2.8 800mhz fsb
arctic cooler super silent 4 ultra tc cpu cooler
1x120mm fan
2x80mm fan
X-cruiser case

FeareX

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
your HD needs to be plugged in to boot up properly. Check for forgotten cables, for an example plug an ide cable in the dvd drive(/HD) AND in the mobo. a friend of my forgot that once :lol:

BTW, that case you chose is xtremely nice

wakkoguy

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2003
your HD needs to be plugged in to boot up properly. Check for forgotten cables, for an example plug an ide cable in the dvd drive(/HD) AND in the mobo. a friend of my forgot that once :lol:

BTW, that case you chose is xtremely nice

I know the HD needs to be plugged in for a proper boot up but will the system beep like that if the hard drive is not plugged in? Shouldn't I not get error beeps before it is plugged in?

I just got that case and it is so sexy! I moved the back fan to the front and put a 120mm blue led fan in the back and the airflow is awesome!

FeareX

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
The beep has to indicate something. Check the manual of you mobo there should be something in the manual that explains what is malfunctioning.

wakkoguy

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2003
made a mistake and buying an oem board! So, there is no manual and intel's site does not have this model mobo. I scoured the web and the beep indicates ram, I have tons of ram that I know works and I reseated them and checked to make sure they were plugged in. So I know it is not my ram, plus the corsair ram is brand new.

FeareX

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Although its new there is a chance that its faulty, is i 1 stick or dual channel (2 sticks). If it are 2 sticks you should try each one.

The link shows that your mobo has to support the 1gig. Although a friend of mine has 1gig that works at home in his pc. He took it here once to try it in my pc and it wouldnt boot correctly. So maybe you can try some other ram from a friend of yours?

juiceman

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2006
At this stage of booting, the HDD doesnt need to be plugged in. Not until its time to boot or install a HDD bound O/S. You can still run Live-on-CD O/S without HDDs installed at all.

wakkoguy

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2003
Although its new there is a chance that its faulty, is i 1 stick or dual channel (2 sticks). If it are 2 sticks you should try each one.

The link shows that your mobo has to support the 1gig. Although a friend of mine has 1gig that works at home in his pc. He took it here once to try it in my pc and it wouldnt boot correctly. So maybe you can try some other ram from a friend of yours?

It is 2 sticks of 512mb. I tried one in and I tried both sticks in, same thing.
Maybe I'll run to circuit city and get a test gpu and power supply to see if that is the problem.