Query - Duplicate SMTP addresses

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.exchange2000.active.directory.integration,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

Hey all

We all know that duplicate proxy (SMTP) addresses are a bad thing (cause
NDRs etc)

However, is there any problem if the duplicate SMTP addresses are all
contacts ?

i.e. I have a contact called jbloggs, email joe.bloggs@foo.com and a contact
called Joe Bloggs, email joe.bloggs@foo.com

Just wondering if there are any problems with this....?

Cheers All

Colin

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.exchange2000.active.directory.integration,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

Yes, it can still cause confusion in the Exchange environment. There should be
no duplicate SMTP addresses.

joe

www.joeware.net

"Joe Richards [MVP]" <humorexpress@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Yes, it can still cause confusion in the Exchange environment. There
should be
> no duplicate SMTP addresses.
>
> joe

Aha. Care to provide explanation/cite ? I can understand why dup smtp on
mailboxes can cause an issue, but surely a contact is just a pointer to an
external address?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.exchange2000.active.directory.integration,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

Any duplicate values in the proxyAddresses attribute in the whole forest
(GC) will cause NDRs. When Exchange is figuring out how to route an email,
it queries proxyAddresses based on the address value and if two or more
matches are found, the NDR is generated.

It doesn't matter what type of objects have the proxyAddresses values. It
only matters that there is a duplicate.

You really really don't want them in any circumstances.

Joe K.