Migrating to AD but have non-windows DNS...problems?

The company is still running and NT enviornment and wants to migrate to AD.
Currently they run DHCP and DNS services via several linux boxes.

Does AD require a Windows based DNS on the network for resolution or will
any DNS do?

TIA
4 answers Last reply
More about migrating windows problems

    Any DNS that supports SRV records, underscores, and dynamic updates. I ran a
    Fortune 5 company off of Solaris machines running QIP DNS and DHCP.

    joe

    www.joeware.net

    ts wrote:
    > The company is still running and NT enviornment and wants to migrate to AD.
    > Currently they run DHCP and DNS services via several linux boxes.
    >
    > Does AD require a Windows based DNS on the network for resolution or will
    > any DNS do?
    >
    > TIA

    Joe can much better answer this question ( and already has ) but I believe
    that BIND version 8.1.2 (???? - or close to that ) and above supports SRV
    records. Making the assumption ( probably going to catch 'he' double 'l'
    for it ) that if you are using Linux that you have BIND.....

    --
    Cary W. Shultz
    Roanoke, VA 24012

    http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
    http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com

    "ts" <[REMOVETHIS]todds@netmore.net> wrote in message
    > The company is still running and NT enviornment and wants to migrate to
    > AD. Currently they run DHCP and DNS services via several linux boxes.
    >
    > Does AD require a Windows based DNS on the network for resolution or will
    > any DNS do?
    >
    > TIA

    Carey and Joe have given you the answer you sought. But I am curious as to
    why a company would choose to use BIND instead of the native windows.

    Note I said " instead of" not "with". For convenience, I would heavily
    reccomend using your new DCS as DNS servers and using the linux boxes as
    secondaries or as a split DNS system used to handle external queries.

    I don't buy into the whole "BIND is more secure than MS DNS". I have seen no
    evidence of this. If any one has a credible reason that could actually
    happen I would be more than happy to switch my view.

    --
    Manny Borges
    MCSE NT4-2003 (+ Security)

    The pen is mightier than the sword, and considerably easier to write with.
    -- Marty Feldman
    "ts" <[REMOVETHIS]todds@netmore.net> wrote in message
    > The company is still running and NT enviornment and wants to migrate to
    > AD. Currently they run DHCP and DNS services via several linux boxes.
    >
    > Does AD require a Windows based DNS on the network for resolution or will
    > any DNS do?
    >
    > TIA

    It absolutely isn't more secure because Windows allows for the secure updates.
    However, some companies with large deployed DNS architecture already may not
    want to switch over in whole or in part to Windows DNS. You will find this in
    many very large companies that have very decentralized management of AD. Done
    properly, this will work fine. I implemented a very large AD in a Fortune 5
    company that runs great and the AD Admins have no access to modify DNS other
    than through nsupdate.

    www.joeware.net

    Manny Borges wrote:
    > Carey and Joe have given you the answer you sought. But I am curious as to
    > why a company would choose to use BIND instead of the native windows.
    >
    > Note I said " instead of" not "with". For convenience, I would heavily
    > reccomend using your new DCS as DNS servers and using the linux boxes as
    > secondaries or as a split DNS system used to handle external queries.
    >
    > I don't buy into the whole "BIND is more secure than MS DNS". I have seen no
    > evidence of this. If any one has a credible reason that could actually
    > happen I would be more than happy to switch my view.

Microsoft DNS Active Directory Windows