Active Directory 2003 - Restore - The system could not log..

I have restored the AD 2003 without any error. The server booted up and
prompted for the user id, password with domain option. When I give the user
id (admin account), it through the following error:
"The system could not log you on".

Any help is much appreciated
4 answers Last reply
More about active directory 2003 restore system

    "Selva" <Selva@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have restored the AD 2003 without any error. The server booted up and
    > prompted for the user id, password with domain option. When I give the
    user
    > id (admin account), it through the following error:
    > "The system could not log you on".
    >
    > Any help is much appreciated

    The following is obvious and likely occurred to you but I will ask
    just in case it helps:

    Did the password get changed between the time the backup was made
    and time the restore was performed?

    Have you tried both of those? (If true...)

    --
    Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
    Accelerated MCSE

    "" wrote:
    > I have restored the AD 2003 without any error. The server
    > booted up and
    > prompted for the user id, password with domain option. When I
    > give the user
    > id (admin account), it through the following error:
    > "The system could not log you on".
    >
    > Any help is much appreciated

    what account are you using? Adminitrator account or another account?
    Did the account exist at the moment the backup was created?

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Active-Directory-2003-Restore-system-log-ftopict404911.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1342132

    "" wrote:
    > I have restored the AD 2003 without any error. The server
    > booted up and
    > prompted for the user id, password with domain option. When I
    > give the user
    > id (admin account), it through the following error:
    > "The system could not log you on".
    >
    > Any help is much appreciated

    Hi Selva

    first i would say that your error message is not complete
    it must be either saying that "local policy do not allow you to logon
    to the system interactively"
    or
    "you are not authorised to logon to this system"

    i would say that you logon to the system as administrator check the
    group policies that whether that user has the right to logon to the
    system or not
    and if not then give appropriate rights to the user who is not able to
    logon to the machine

    and if anyone is not able to logon to the machine then try installing
    the adminpack on any XP client machine and edit the domain policies
    from that machine

    ---
    Nitin

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Active-Directory-2003-Restore-system-log-ftopict404911.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1342832

    Hi all-

    Thanks for your response.

    1. The user account and password is same as that of production system. I
    didn't change the password before or after taking the backup.

    2. The user account is named Administrator Account part of Administrator Group

    3. Using the same named administrator account, I can login to the production
    Active directory setup without any issue.

    4. The error is sam what I have mentioed. I am logging to the AD server
    locally with named administrator after restoring the system state.

    5. I have noticed that in restore mode, I can able to logon to the system
    using DS restore password and checked the nelogon and syslog share is
    missing. I have recreated the shared and rebooted. But, the system is not
    accepting the user id and password.

    6. The test server where I restore the production system state is identical
    hardware. Both are HP ML350 G3 server with same hardware configuration using
    the same image.

    "nitin" wrote:

    > "" wrote:
    > > I have restored the AD 2003 without any error. The server
    > > booted up and
    > > prompted for the user id, password with domain option. When I
    > > give the user
    > > id (admin account), it through the following error:
    > > "The system could not log you on".
    > >
    > > Any help is much appreciated
    >
    > Hi Selva
    >

    > first i would say that your error message is not complete
    > it must be either saying that "local policy do not allow you to logon
    > to the system interactively"
    > or
    > "you are not authorised to logon to this system"
    >
    > i would say that you logon to the system as administrator check the
    > group policies that whether that user has the right to logon to the
    > system or not
    > and if not then give appropriate rights to the user who is not able to
    > logon to the machine
    >
    > and if anyone is not able to logon to the machine then try installing
    > the adminpack on any XP client machine and edit the domain policies
    > from that machine
    >
    > ---
    > Nitin

    > Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Active-Directory-2003-Restore-system-log-ftopict404911.html