Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Main memory gradually reduces

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
December 13, 2004 3:07:20 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

The main memory on my hx4700 gradually reduces over time even though I
regularly stop tasks running when I am no longer using them.

Is this due to applications not releasing memory after they have quit? If
it is, how do I perusade them to release it automatically?

If not, what else could it be?

The only way I can get the memory back is to do a soft reset now and
then...

TIA

--
F

Beware spamtrap - remove the negative
Anonymous
a b } Memory
December 13, 2004 3:07:21 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

F wrote:
> The main memory on my hx4700 gradually reduces over time even though I
> regularly stop tasks running when I am no longer using them.
>
> Is this due to applications not releasing memory after they have quit? If
> it is, how do I perusade them to release it automatically?
>
> If not, what else could it be?
>
> The only way I can get the memory back is to do a soft reset now and
> then...
>
> TIA
>

I've encountered similar issues. I would suggest trying WisBar Advance
2 or Spb Pocket Plus, both of which let you actually close (and not just
minimize/hide) programs:

http://www.lakeridgesoftware.com/wisbar/
http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/products/pocketplus/

Good luck!

- Adam
December 13, 2004 1:02:12 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Adam Herscher <ahersche@umich.edu> wrote in
news:41BCF386.3030907@umich.edu:

> I've encountered similar issues. I would suggest trying WisBar
> Advance 2 or Spb Pocket Plus,

I'll give them a try. Thanks.

--
F

Beware spamtrap - remove the negative
Related resources
December 13, 2004 1:09:36 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Is memory still missing after a soft reset ?
If so then it's a problem with file storage, if not
then it's memory not being released when it should
be or simply memory fragmentation.

"F" <frank@spinningweb.notnet> wrote in message
news:Xns95BE13AE739EFJLFN@127.0.0.1...
> The main memory on my hx4700 gradually reduces over time even though I
> regularly stop tasks running when I am no longer using them.
>
> Is this due to applications not releasing memory after they have quit? If
> it is, how do I perusade them to release it automatically?
>
> If not, what else could it be?
>
> The only way I can get the memory back is to do a soft reset now and
> then...
>
> TIA
>
> --
> F
>
> Beware spamtrap - remove the negative
December 13, 2004 1:36:16 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"dave" <dave@parystec.demon.co.uk> wrote in
news:cpjq4f$6ae$1$830fa7a5@news.demon.co.uk:

> Is memory still missing after a soft reset ?
> If so then it's a problem with file storage, if not
> then it's memory not being released when it should
> be or simply memory fragmentation.

A soft reset returns all of the memory. Looks like a memory release problem
or temporary files/cache filling it up.

--
F

Beware spamtrap - remove the negative
Anonymous
a b } Memory
December 13, 2004 1:57:59 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Hey,

This appears to be a problem with a large number of 4700's I know of at least 6 other people who have the same problem. I have heard that HP have acknowledged it as such but I can not find any evidence to back this up. Personally I am just hoping that it is fixed in a ROM upgrade, along with the other couple of bugs that are known about.

It's odd as there does seem to be t least two different models of the 4700 out there although there appears to be no way to tell them apart a prime example is the .net problem, where only certain units seem to be affected.

Best regards - Dave

nntp://news.plus.net/microsoft.public.pocketpc/<cpjq4f$6ae$1$830fa7a5@news.demon.co.uk>

Is memory still missing after a soft reset ?
If so then it's a problem with file storage, if not
then it's memory not being released when it should
be or simply memory fragmentation.

"F" <frank@spinningweb.notnet> wrote in message
news:Xns95BE13AE739EFJLFN@127.0.0.1...
> The main memory on my hx4700 gradually reduces over time even though I
> regularly stop tasks running when I am no longer using them.
>
> Is this due to applications not releasing memory after they have quit? If
> it is, how do I perusade them to release it automatically?
>
> If not, what else could it be?
>
> The only way I can get the memory back is to do a soft reset now and
> then...
>
> TIA
>
> --
> F
>
> Beware spamtrap - remove the negative



[microsoft.public.pocketpc]
Anonymous
a b } Memory
December 13, 2004 6:06:54 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Are you browsing the Internet with Pocket Internet Explorer?

Try tapping Tools and then tap the [DELETE FILES] button to clear the cache.

--
Mauricio Freitas
MS MVP Mobile Devices
Bluetooth Guides: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=449
Performance Center: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?ContentId=2028

"F" <frank@spinningweb.notnet> wrote in message
news:Xns95BE13AE739EFJLFN@127.0.0.1...
> The main memory on my hx4700 gradually reduces over time even though I
> regularly stop tasks running when I am no longer using them.
>
> Is this due to applications not releasing memory after they have quit? If
> it is, how do I perusade them to release it automatically?
>
> If not, what else could it be?
>
> The only way I can get the memory back is to do a soft reset now and
> then...
>
> TIA
>
> --
> F
>
> Beware spamtrap - remove the negative
December 13, 2004 6:06:55 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

<!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en">
<html>
 
<p>"Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" wrote:
<blockquote TYPE=CITE>Are you browsing the Internet with Pocket Internet
Explorer?
<p>Try tapping Tools and then tap the [DELETE FILES] button to clear the
cache.
<p>--
<br>Mauricio Freitas
<br>MS MVP Mobile Devices
<br>Bluetooth Guides: <a href="http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=449">http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=449&lt;/a>
<br>Performance Center: <a href="http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?ContentId=2028">http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?ContentId=2028&lt;/a>
<p>"F" <frank@spinningweb.notnet> wrote in message
<br><a href="news:Xns95BE13AE739EFJLFN@127.0.0.1">news:Xns95BE13AE739EFJLFN@127.0.0.1</a>...
<br>> The main memory on my hx4700 gradually reduces over time even though
I
<br>> regularly stop tasks running when I am no longer using them.
<br>>
<br>> Is this due to applications not releasing memory after they have
quit? If
<br>> it is, how do I perusade them to release it automatically?
<br>>
<br>> If not, what else could it be?
<br>>
<br>> The only way I can get the memory back is to do a soft reset now
and
<br>> then...
<br>>
<br>> TIA
<br>>
<br>> --
<br>> F
<br>>
<br>> Beware spamtrap - remove the negative</blockquote>
I agree.  Clearing IE's cache and temp files dramatically restores
the amount of
<br>available memory on my iPaq 4155.
<p>Scott</html>
December 13, 2004 6:06:55 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote in
news:cpitg1$21a6$1@si05.rsvl.unisys.com:

> Are you browsing the Internet with Pocket Internet Explorer?

Rarely.

> Try tapping Tools and then tap the [DELETE FILES] button to clear the
> cache.

But that's worth looking at. Thanks.

--
F

Beware spamtrap - remove the negative
December 13, 2004 6:06:56 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Scott <golden@uslink.net> wrote in news:41BD314E.C447C305@uslink.net:

> I agree.  Clearing IE's cache and temp files dramatically
> restores the amount of
> <br>available memory on my iPaq 4155.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Without wanting to sound ungrateful, I found your reply almost impossible
to read as it was in html and, like most, my newsgroup reader is set to
display in text only.

--
F

Beware spamtrap - remove the negative
Anonymous
a b } Memory
December 13, 2004 7:26:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"F" <frank@spinningweb.notnet> wrote in message
news:Xns95BE66141DE02FJLFN@127.0.0.1...
> Scott <golden@uslink.net> wrote in news:41BD314E.C447C305@uslink.net:
.............>
> Without wanting to sound ungrateful, I found your reply almost impossible
> to read as it was in html and, like most, my newsgroup reader is set to
> display in text only.
>
> --
> F
>

Most have text only? I'd doubt this- Outlook Express is the biggest user
base and it can handle html by default, as can most programs. You are in the
minority, not 'like most'. Most people don't change default settings.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
December 13, 2004 7:58:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote in
news:cpkg8b$77t$3@news6.svr.pol.co.uk:

>
> "F" <frank@spinningweb.notnet> wrote in message
> news:Xns95BE66141DE02FJLFN@127.0.0.1...
>> Scott <golden@uslink.net> wrote in news:41BD314E.C447C305@uslink.net:
> ............>
>> Without wanting to sound ungrateful, I found your reply almost
>> impossible to read as it was in html and, like most, my newsgroup
>> reader is set to display in text only.
>>
>> --
>> F
>>
>
> Most have text only? I'd doubt this- Outlook Express is the biggest
> user base and it can handle html by default, as can most programs. You
> are in the minority, not 'like most'. Most people don't change default
> settings.
>
>

Many have text only, as many text-only nntp clients handle many things
better than OE. Text-only is the conventionally accepted method of usenet
correspondence.

Probably "most people" would be much better shielded from malware and the
like if they disabled http in newsreaders

Scott
December 14, 2004 1:33:33 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote in
news:cpkg8b$77t$3@news6.svr.pol.co.uk:

> Most have text only? I'd doubt this- Outlook Express is the biggest
> user base and it can handle html by default, as can most programs. You
> are in the minority, not 'like most'. Most people don't change default
> settings.

Check through the newsgroup postings you have received. I think you'll find
that 'most' are text only. It follows, then, that most people post text
only. It's accepted as the preferred method with far fewer security risks
than html. It's also more compact and has fewer bandwidth overheads.

It would seem that most people rise above your expectations.

--
F

Beware spamtrap - remove the negative
Anonymous
a b } Memory
December 14, 2004 9:01:00 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"Scott Seidman" <namdiesttocs@mindspring.com> wrote in message
news:Xns95BE79D0EEDECscottseidmanmindspri@130.133.1.4...
> "AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote in
> news:cpkg8b$77t$3@news6.svr.pol.co.uk:
>
> >
> > "F" <frank@spinningweb.notnet> wrote in message
> > news:Xns95BE66141DE02FJLFN@127.0.0.1...
> >> Scott <golden@uslink.net> wrote in news:41BD314E.C447C305@uslink.net:
> > ............>
> >> Without wanting to sound ungrateful, I found your reply almost
> >> impossible to read as it was in html and, like most, my newsgroup
> >> reader is set to display in text only.
> >>
> >> --
> >> F
> >>
> >
> > Most have text only? I'd doubt this- Outlook Express is the biggest
> > user base and it can handle html by default, as can most programs. You
> > are in the minority, not 'like most'. Most people don't change default
> > settings.
> >
> >
>
> Many have text only, as many text-only nntp clients handle many things
> better than OE. Text-only is the conventionally accepted method of usenet
> correspondence.
>
> Probably "most people" would be much better shielded from malware and the
> like if they disabled http in newsreaders
>
> Scott

Best is different to most. Perhaps most people would be better off with
something else, perhaps they are happy with what they are using so won't
change.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
December 14, 2004 9:03:26 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"F" <frank@spinningweb.notnet> wrote in message
news:Xns95BEE52568389FJLFN@127.0.0.1...
> "AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote in
> news:cpkg8b$77t$3@news6.svr.pol.co.uk:
>
> > Most have text only? I'd doubt this- Outlook Express is the biggest
> > user base and it can handle html by default, as can most programs. You
> > are in the minority, not 'like most'. Most people don't change default
> > settings.
>
> Check through the newsgroup postings you have received. I think you'll
find
> that 'most' are text only. It follows, then, that most people post text
> only. It's accepted as the preferred method with far fewer security risks
> than html. It's also more compact and has fewer bandwidth overheads.
>
> It would seem that most people rise above your expectations.
>
> --
> F
>

They are text because you can set OE to default to text. The standard is
rich text. Those that have changed will be because they have been bullied
into changing, or have decided to change. None of which changes the point.
Most users have Outlook Express, it defaults to rich text.
December 14, 2004 12:58:23 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote in
news:cplvnv$d88$1@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk:

>
> "F" <frank@spinningweb.notnet> wrote in message
> news:Xns95BEE52568389FJLFN@127.0.0.1...
>> "AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote in
>> news:cpkg8b$77t$3@news6.svr.pol.co.uk:
>>
>> > Most people don't change
>> > default settings.

>> Check through the newsgroup postings you have received. I think
>> you'll find that 'most' are text only.

> They are text because you can set OE to default to text.

So most people do change default settings - they have set OE to text only
from the default of rich text.

> Those that have changed will be because they have been
> bullied into changing

'bullied'? An odd choice of word.

> Most users have Outlook Express, it defaults to
> rich text.

And so to post in html they must have changed it from the default. My
polite request was for posting in text rather than html as I found the html
almost impossible to read as text only.

--
F

Beware spamtrap - remove the negative
Anonymous
a b } Memory
December 14, 2004 4:43:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote in news:cplvjf$d7e$1
@news6.svr.pol.co.uk:

>
> Best is different to most. Perhaps most people would be better off with
> something else, perhaps they are happy with what they are using so won't
> change.
>
>

Perhaps its best to play with the rules for the field you're playing on.
Usenet is, by convention, text only. Thus, if you expect your message to
be read correctly by everyone using this medium, you post in text. If you
don't care, post how you want, but it conveys something about the poster.

Scott
Anonymous
a b } Memory
December 14, 2004 5:28:35 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"F" <frank@spinningweb.notnet> wrote in message
news:Xns95BF6548EA8AAFJLFN@127.0.0.1...
> "AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote in
> news:cplvnv$d88$1@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk:
>
> >
> > "F" <frank@spinningweb.notnet> wrote in message
> > news:Xns95BEE52568389FJLFN@127.0.0.1...
> >> "AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote in
> >> news:cpkg8b$77t$3@news6.svr.pol.co.uk:
> >>
> >> > Most people don't change
> >> > default settings.
>
> >> Check through the newsgroup postings you have received. I think
> >> you'll find that 'most' are text only.
>
> > They are text because you can set OE to default to text.
>
> So most people do change default settings - they have set OE to text only
> from the default of rich text.
>
> > Those that have changed will be because they have been
> > bullied into changing
>
> 'bullied'? An odd choice of word.
>
> > Most users have Outlook Express, it defaults to
> > rich text.
>
> And so to post in html they must have changed it from the default. My
> polite request was for posting in text rather than html as I found the
html
> almost impossible to read as text only.
>
> --
> F
>

Yes, but there are no usenet police. People can choose to reply however they
wish.
You can also choose whether to read those posts or not. That is your choice.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
December 14, 2004 7:11:17 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote in news:cpmtio$3v6$3
@news6.svr.pol.co.uk:

> Yes, but there are no usenet police

Usenet is a community, like any other. There are guidelines of decorum,
and you look silly if you don't follow them. There's no law against
flatulation in a crowded elevator, yet you don't do it for some reason.

Scott
Anonymous
a b } Memory
December 14, 2004 7:11:18 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

R-O-F-L!

Genius analogy...


--
Clinton Fitch
Senior Editor
Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!
http://www.clintonfitch.com

A Pocket PC Magazine "Best Site" for Pocket PC Reviews!


"Scott Seidman" <namdiesttocs@mindspring.com> wrote in message
news:Xns95BF71D0139B5scottseidmanmindspri@130.133.1.4...
> "AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote in news:cpmtio$3v6$3
> @news6.svr.pol.co.uk:
>
>> Yes, but there are no usenet police
>
> Usenet is a community, like any other. There are guidelines of decorum,
> and you look silly if you don't follow them. There's no law against
> flatulation in a crowded elevator, yet you don't do it for some reason.
>
> Scott
December 15, 2004 2:59:52 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote in
news:cpmtio$3v6$3@news6.svr.pol.co.uk:

>> > Those that have changed will be because they have been
>> > bullied into changing

> Yes, but there are no usenet police. People can choose to reply
> however they wish.

I posted a *polite request* yet you use terms such as 'bullied' and 'usenet
police'.

You are imagining problems where there are none. A difference in
perspective, yes, but for goodness sake...

Read Scott's contribution later in the thread and reflect.

--
F

Beware spamtrap - remove the negative
Anonymous
a b } Memory
December 15, 2004 1:15:54 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Reply to message from "AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> (Mon, 13 Dec
2004 22:26:30) about "Re: Main memory gradually reduces":

>> Without wanting to sound ungrateful, I found your reply almost
>> impossible to read as it was in html and, like most, my newsgroup
>> reader is set to display in text only.

A> Most have text only? I'd doubt this- Outlook Express is the biggest
A> user base and it can handle html by default, as can most programs. You
A> are in the minority, not 'like most'. Most people don't change default
A> settings.

first, outlook express used text only for news as default. html used only
for email. second, even if you post article in html format outlook express
will append section in plain text so your message will be readable with
text only readers.



Bye
Rick Murray

=== Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.1
December 15, 2004 6:00:50 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

F wrote:
>
> Scott <golden@uslink.net> wrote in news:41BD314E.C447C305@uslink.net:
>
> > I agree.  Clearing IE's cache and temp files dramatically
> > restores the amount of
> > <br>available memory on my iPaq 4155.
>
> Thanks for the confirmation.
>
> Without wanting to sound ungrateful, I found your reply almost impossible
> to read as it was in html and, like most, my newsgroup reader is set to
> display in text only.
>
> --
> F
>
> Beware spamtrap - remove the negative

F,

Hey, thanks for the heads-up! I reset my newsgroup reader to text only.

Scott
December 15, 2004 6:04:57 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

>
> Many have text only, as many text-only nntp clients handle many things
> better than OE. Text-only is the conventionally accepted method of usenet
> correspondence.
>
> Probably "most people" would be much better shielded from malware and the
> like if they disabled http in newsreaders
>
> Scott

Scott

Makes sense to me. I don't see any purpose in trying to use html in a
newsgroup at all. By the way, my newsgroup reader is Netscape 4.8
(my browser of choice), and, to me, it all looks like text.

Scott
December 15, 2004 6:08:14 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

>
> Yes, but there are no usenet police. People can choose to reply however they
> wish.
> You can also choose whether to read those posts or not. That is your choice.

Alan,

I basically agree with you. No single person owns usenet. However, you
wouldn't believe the flak I've gotten on the alt.hmtl newsgroup about "top
posting". It seems there are some purists who want to control the rest of
us with "their rules".

Scott
December 25, 2004 9:26:16 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

F <frank@spinningweb.notnet> wrote in
news:Xns95BE13AE739EFJLFN@127.0.0.1:

> The main memory on my hx4700 gradually reduces over time even though I
> regularly stop tasks running when I am no longer using them.

[snip]

> The only way I can get the memory back is to do a soft reset now and
> then...

An update: HP Support have denied that there is a generic problem, despite
postings to the contrary here. They suggest that I need to close
applications through Settings -> Running Programs: I've tod them twice that
I do that. They then suggest that prior to switching the 4700 off each
time, I do a soft reset! Finally they have suggested sending it for
'service'.

This, after almost two weeks of emails. I'm not impressed and can't see
there's any point in returning it to them! Unless anyone thinks otherwise?

--
F

Beware spamtrap - remove the negative
Anonymous
a b } Memory
December 25, 2004 11:22:41 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

On 25 Dec 2004 18:26:16 GMT, F wrote:

> An update: HP Support have denied that there is a generic problem, despite
> postings to the contrary here. They suggest that I need to close
> applications through Settings -> Running Programs: I've tod them twice that
> I do that. They then suggest that prior to switching the 4700 off each
> time, I do a soft reset! Finally they have suggested sending it for
> 'service'.

Oh there is definitely an issue here, he memory declines on my machine from
30mb to around 22 during the course of the working day.

Even if not used at all it can lose 2mb...
--
Tekguru (Daron Brewood)
MS-MVP/Mobile Devices

Webmaster: UKs largest Pocket PC Site
http://www.tekguru.co.uk
Anonymous
a b } Memory
December 27, 2004 7:05:29 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"Tekguru (Daron Brewood)" <tekguru@tekguru.co.uk> wrote in
news:1venivp2tlpg.dlg@tekguru.co.uk:

> On 25 Dec 2004 18:26:16 GMT, F wrote:
>
>> An update: HP Support have denied that there is a generic problem,
>> despite postings to the contrary here. They suggest that I need to
>> close applications through Settings -> Running Programs: I've tod
>> them twice that I do that. They then suggest that prior to switching
>> the 4700 off each time, I do a soft reset! Finally they have
>> suggested sending it for 'service'.
>
> Oh there is definitely an issue here, he memory declines on my machine
> from 30mb to around 22 during the course of the working day.
>
> Even if not used at all it can lose 2mb...

I would think this is only an issue if it doesn't free up memory when
something else needs it.

Scott
December 27, 2004 9:51:00 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Scott Seidman <namdiesttocs@mindspring.com> wrote in
news:Xns95CC70D38CA37scottseidmanmindspri@130.133.1.4:

> I would think this is only an issue if it doesn't free up memory when
> something else needs it.

It doesn't: to the extent that, eventually, the only way to remove a window
complaining that memory is short is through a soft reset...

--
F

Beware spamtrap - remove the negative
!