Sign in with
Your question

help, I need the QVL for the Asus p5B

Last response: in Overclocking
July 22, 2006 7:40:16 AM

So I'm looking at the Asus P5B (non-deluxe) because it's the least expensive board I've found that has what I am looking for but the asus website says to look at it's QVL and cpu support but I can't seem to find it for this model. I can get it for a lot of their other models though.

looking at:
Asus P5B
Intel Core 2 Duo E 6600
Corsair XMS 2GB dual channel kit 2x 1GB DDR2 800

I don't wanna end up having to replace the RAM or buy a cheap socket 775 cpu just to update the bios.

much appriciated for any help

More about : qvl asus p5b

July 22, 2006 9:45:15 PM

Thanks for the recommendation. Does that mean you believe the p5b will not support it? I would rather stick with Asus but if that means having to buy a extra chip just to update bios, I guess I'll have to think on it. Or can I order a newer rom somewhere just to insert on the mobo directly?

thanks again
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
July 22, 2006 10:39:47 PM

Gigabyte boards are just as good as Asus boards in terms of reliability and stability. The P5B will support Conroe, but I am 70% sure the P5B will require a BIOS update. It is quite possible that i'm wrong though.
July 25, 2006 5:51:44 AM

Quote:
Gigabyte boards are just as good as Asus boards in terms of reliability and stability. The P5B will support Conroe, but I am 70% sure the P5B will require a BIOS update. It is quite possible that i'm wrong though.

Does P5B or P5B Deluxe have quad core support?
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
July 25, 2006 6:27:03 AM

It hasn't been confirmed by Asus, however there's no reason to think that a simple BIOS update wouldn't provide Kentsfield support.
July 25, 2006 5:31:55 PM

Ok, Kentsfield will have 1333FSB? will the bios update let P5B Deluxe go to 1333FSB? Probably not, since it would have had to have the 1333 FSB build onto the board.

<Just out of curiosity, I am geting this p5b deluxe board and the x6800. There will be no reason for me to even upgrade to the 3.2mhz version of the x6800, let alone a kentsfield. However, if I do in need the quadcore in the future, I would like to know if this board will fully support it. If you can, please let me know what my concerns should be>

If not, then no worries. I'll just go ahead and get whatever premium comes out then + quad.
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
July 25, 2006 6:54:15 PM

I believe all of the Conroe supporting boards are physically built to support Kentsfield, but as I said, a BIOS update may be required to enable that support.

There is no 3.2Ghz version of the X6800, and I don't think there is one planned. The 3.2 you're thinking of is probably earlier speculation about the stock frequencies of the Conroe chips from a few months ago. The X6800 which comes stock at 2.93 can be easily overclocked to 3.2, and uses a 1066Mhz fsb.
!