Your question

Read and give me your advise

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
July 22, 2006 8:25:24 AM

I am going soon to build my PC from scratch and I don’t have problem in cash. Can you please tell me which system is better from the two systems, in term of performance, home-theater solution, Advance gaming, stability and quality. Also I will be happy if there were any suggestions or recommendations. I would like to have my latest up to date PC.

System one

1- Graphic card: XFX GeForce 7950 GX2 M570 1GB DDR3 XXX

2- Motherboard: Intel Desktop Board D975XBX

http://www.intel.com/products/motherboard/d975xbx/index...

3: processor : Intel® Pentium® Processor Extreme Edition 965

http://www.intel.com/performance/index.htm

4: power supply : Turbo-Cool 1KW

http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone2_build.html#certi...

5: sound card : Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro

System two

1- Graphic card: XFX GeForce 7950 GX2 M570 1GB DDR3 XXX

2- Motherboard: M2N32-WS Professional ----- NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI ---- asus vendor

http://www.asus.com.tw/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=101&l3=300...

3: processor : AMD Athlon™ 64 FX-62 Dual Core Processor

4: power supply : Turbo-Cool 1KW

5: sound card : Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro

Note: any other staff like ram and harddisk and .....etc will be in hight configuration like 2g of ram for example.

Please tell me if there is some thing newer than what i am going to choose.

Regard's
Uaeabudhabi

More about : read give advise

July 22, 2006 10:02:16 AM

Scrap both of those.... here's what I would go for...

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (If money is REALLY no object, get the Core 2 duo X6800 chip....)

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6

RAM: OCZ Gold 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2-800

Video: eVGA Geforce 7950GX2

Power Supply: Antec TruePower 550W <--- a 1KW supply is TOTALLY UNNECESSARY. In fact.... 550W might even be overkill....

Sound Card: Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Elite

This system will mop the floor with either of those 2 you had picked out.

Note: SLI is totally pointless unless you are going to be gaming at resolutions higher than 1600 x 1200.
July 22, 2006 11:05:04 AM

Hi,

Thanx for your fast replay. You sayed SLI is totally pointless unless i am going to be gaming at resolutions higher than 1600 x 1200. Then i need to know do i need more than this resolution if i am going to use a TV as my monitor and while running the world of war craft game. I choosed the sli tecknology just to be sure that anything i wana go in advanced in future my hardware will be cabable but if the motherboard you sugested which is without an sli tecknology is more than enough to my requirement then it is fine with me but first i would like to know if my setuation is not needed an sli then when it is needed or when people use more than 1600 x 1200 just to know ?

and thanx so much in advance

Your's
uaeabudhabi
Related resources
July 22, 2006 11:09:33 AM

let me give you a piece of advice my friend ...if you have no problemas with the money...go for

x6800..for a processor ..forget about the antic extreme edition 965 or whatever ...... fx 62 sucks ...x6800 will blow a fx66
July 22, 2006 11:12:52 AM

and for the video sistem..man do i have to remind ...you ..ati all the way....

x1900xtx...(crossfire)..think about it ...forget about that no good s**t 7950 or whatever :D 
July 22, 2006 11:48:09 AM

fainis.... you should try not being biased. Of current CPU's the FX-62 is better than anything Intel currently sells. In a few more days, that will change and the Core 2 Duo series will hold the performance crown. The 7950 is actually a pretty damn fast card, but the 1900XTX's are good as well. Most TV monitors even @ 40-50Inches don't go above alot of 20inch desktop lcd's. At least that is from what I have seen. If you are going to be playing on your TV either the 7950 or the X1900XTX would be fine for WOW maxed out. You don't need x-fire or SLI. If you did need one of the two I would not go with X-Fire, as it seems to take a performance hit over SLI. But, it's really a non issue, you won't see a benefit from it. And in all reality, the 6800 would be a waste of money, I would go a model or two down from that, you could over clock it just a little and have the same performance, or just leave it at stock, and unless you are encoding stuff, you probably won't notice the difference between the two cpu's(6800 or 1-2 models lower). That is just my opinion though, and how I would approach it.

wes
July 22, 2006 11:51:58 AM

the man said there is no problem with the money ...and beside he wants the best...so qed....x6800+atix1900xtx.......
July 22, 2006 12:09:17 PM

Do you understand what I am saying though? What is the point of buyin a stock car if you are going to be driving down I-10? I understand he has no issues with money, but that doesn't mean he needs to be wasting it. By the time he would probably actually be able to use the Conroe CPU to it's potential, he will probably be upgrading it or doing a new build. In my opinion, I would get a mid range Core 2 Duo, and the upgrade to a quad core if the benchmarks pan out with the shared FSB. But, from what I have seen the 7950 performs better than the X1900XTX, link me if I am wrong. I know what you are saying, and you are trying to steer him to spend alot more money(I know he says it's no factor).... but I just feel he would be wasting it, for what he will be using it for. And for quite a bit less cash, he would have a system maybe 5% slower.... see what I am saying?

wes
July 22, 2006 12:20:53 PM

no man ..i`m not trying to be unpolite ..but ......give it up...
conroe all the way...

believe me you are not trying to convince me ....just express ..your opinion and go on....
July 22, 2006 12:24:50 PM

I am in complete agreement on Conroe all the way, I don't think I was saying otherwise, I just can't recommend the 6800 or other "extreme" variants, when a model or two lower would give almost the same performance, and probably so close you wouldn't notice the difference. At this point in time, I would not build a new PC off of anything but a Conroe machine..... I agree....
July 22, 2006 12:45:36 PM

I'm in agreement with Weskurtz with both the processor decision and the video card. Also in agreement about fainis' lopsided suggestions :p . If you really want SLI then i think you should give the market a month to embrace Conroe.
July 22, 2006 1:07:25 PM

He's right that gigabit mb is the shit,that's what you need
July 22, 2006 6:30:44 PM

Actually weskurtz, the X6800 chip according to most benchmarks out right now won't be like earlier versions of Intel's extreme edition chips. This time there actually will be a worthy performance increase. I say if the OP can afford it... then definitly go that route. But you are right about fainis's biased suggestions. The 7950 I believe will actually beat the X1900XTX, however the XTX card beats the 7950 in terms of image quality, the main reasopn being that ATI allows their cards to enable both HDR and AA at the same time. Nvidia only allows one or the other.

To the OP: If you want better quality over performance, go for a Sapphire Radeon X1900XT. This is the same card as the XTX, but it uses MUCH less power, and performs about the same. If you want better performance for longer, go for an eVGA Geforce 7950GX2
July 23, 2006 5:21:45 AM

Hi everybody,

Thanx for all your replays, by the way money its not a factor to me for fullfelling my requirement but ofcurse i dont want to through my money for some thing, just because it is new and i will not benefet from it or use it.

Thanx weskurtz81,Fursecul, fainis and The_Prophecy. It was really nice to descuss this with you. But i checked some reviews comparing the x6800 and the amd athalon and i found generally this:

AMD has better CPUs for multimedia and 3D applications, while the new Core family achieved a better performance in office-style applications and gaming like WinZip, antivirus, Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat and web browsing.

I am confused, when i mention that i want some thing up to date i meant something can include highy latest up-to-date in multimedia,networking,stability and quality. spicially in this area: Advance gaming, hight quality multimedia solution and peer to peer application usage with internet browsing. In addition i maye plug a latest satallite card in the market on that box to have this full multi solution in this PC. My idea is to have that super PC connected to my big TV and i should be able to browse the net, play online games in hight quality without lacks, using per to peer application for downloading huge files, listen to music in hight quality and the ability to convert and make video editing. Consider this PC to be very loded and thats why i want to make it capeble for all this things.

By the way i , remeber once a proffesor was said its better alwayse to buy the latest bus speed motherboard for future application combitibility and just to clerefy can you tell me if i am right or wrong is amd bus speed reach to 2g and what about the x6800 what is the bus speed for it .

Also i would like to know is eVGA Geforce 7950GX2 the same as XFX GeForce 7950 GX2 M570 1GB DDR3 XXX or there are some differnets. At lease i am sure the last one is sli technology but my quesion is are they the same product or no and incase of no is the the Evga one less in quality than the one i mention or the same.

Also i would like to ask politly to weskurtz81 if you can provide me with the lower models of the x6800 which i can over clock later, and thanx man for the help and also thanx to everybody and sorry if i am bothering.

The_Prophecy : thanx for everything but i didnt get the idea , when you said go for Sapphire Radeon X1900XT but If you want better performance for longer, go for an eVGA Geforce 7950GX2. what did you mean by longer. do you mean that the first one is not a product which i can depend on if i am going to use it for along time. just explain to me more please and thanx for eveything.

Guyse any recommendation from you will be so helpfull to me please share with me your knowledge and thanx.

Regard's
Uaeabudhabi
July 23, 2006 6:21:35 AM

Actually Core 2 beat AMD in almost all categories even surpassing them in gaming which was AMD's forte.

If anything the eVGA card is better quality. They make good graphics cards. If it says 7950 then it is a 7950 its just which company put it together that makes a difference.

I would suggest either an AMD AM2 X2 4600+, roughly 280, or a E6600 Core 2 Duo roughly 350. Both of these cards are in the current "sweet spot" in terms of Price/Performance. They will both overclock and last you awhile. The Core 2 is better, but it's also more expensive.

Just giving you another opinion.
July 23, 2006 7:01:49 AM

Quote:
Actually Core 2 beat AMD in almost all categories even surpassing them in gaming which was AMD's forte.

If anything the eVGA card is better quality. They make good graphics cards. If it says 7950 then it is a 7950 its just which company put it together that makes a difference.

I would suggest either an AMD AM2 X2 4600+, roughly 280, or a E6600 Core 2 Duo roughly 350. Both of these cards are in the current "sweet spot" in terms of Price/Performance. They will both overclock and last you awhile. The Core 2 is better, but it's also more expensive.

Just giving you another opinion.

I don't completely disagree with your suggestion of an E6600, but if the OP is going to be doing all of the things he indicated he would be using this new computer for, I believe an X6800 would be the best choice, given the fact that money is not a limiting factor here. If you look at the series of benchmarks done by Tom's Hardware, they show the X6800 yielding a noteworthy performance increase over the E6600, especially when overclocked up to 3.46Ghz. If you don't want to spend $1000+ on a CPU, an E6600 would definitly be a worthy replacement, and would also mop the floor with any AMD based system one could come up with as of today.
July 23, 2006 7:32:02 AM

There is one part of your inital question that no one has bothered or forgotten to answer and that is the question of stability. Now I have no direct experience with the newest AMD or Intel chips of the last few years and the supporting chipsets that go with them. But I would think and I may very well be wrong that at this moment today that you would get better stability with a top of the line AMD than you would with a top of the line Conroe chip. I say this only for the reason that the current gen AMD chips have been out longer therefore more time for bugs and such to be worked out. Now mind you I am going to be building a new system as well in the next 3 or 4 months budget willing, I already have a thread to that extenet no recomendations please and yes I am going with Conroe, but as long as you don't NEED this new system right now I would recomend waiting 3, 4 or 5 months and get a a Conroe system.

First because in most every benchmark I have seen they beat or flat out smoke most all AMD chips, and second buying a new Conroe and mobo right now you don't know what kind of bugs and/or glitches might pop up and cause crashes. But if you wait a while alot but not all of the bugs will have a chance to get found and fixed therefore more often than not lead to a more stable system. I can't really give you any advise concerning other parts of your set up since I can only go on reviews the same as you. And now for a pseudo-AMD fan boy moment, the last cpu I bought was a AMD 1Ghz Thunderbird that was 6ish years ago and still going strong. Well hope my advice is usefull.
July 23, 2006 7:38:35 AM

Price to performance should still be worse though, and also, I still don't think he would notice the difference.

Just my opinion though....

wes
July 23, 2006 9:20:23 AM

Hi everybody, Not all my quesions has been answered and i hope if you can read my previos post before this one to see my quisions or things i am not sure about, but anyway all your partecepating was helpfull to me . Now can i ask everybody hear if they dont mind to list to me the components he recommends from his point of view and i will choose which suite me. Please each one list me your option to fullfill my requirement. and thanx in advanced i am sure it will help me in taking my decission

Note: mention the motherboard name and model + VGA card name and model + Chipset

Also it will be nice to put a link of the componet going to the official site, where i fount some defeculties in looking for x6800. and many thanx

Regard's
uaeabudhabi
July 23, 2006 11:54:15 AM

AMD has 3DNow and that helps in gaming,intel is more of a buisness class CPU or multi tasking,AMD is better at singal aplications
July 23, 2006 6:07:43 PM

Quote:
Price to performance should still be worse though, and also, I still don't think he would notice the difference.

Just my opinion though....

wes

Now that i've thought about it more..... I actually agree.... the X6800 will make a big difference in some apps, but I don't really think the price tag justifies getting one yet.....

@ Fursecul, that was true 3 years ago when the Ghz race was still (sort of) going on. Not true now.... both brands are powerful enough that they will perform equally well in single threaded and mutil threaded applications (there may still be some differences though).
July 23, 2006 7:04:58 PM

I'd go with (components and explanation):

CPU
Core2 Duo E6600 + Suitable motherboard

There is no point in going for a top-line CPU like the X6800. The price premium you pay compared to the chip-or-two below it is pointless. Saved $$$ here

Its also a fact that this CPU blasts everything from AMD even in games. Yes, its true.

RAM
Go for OCZ Gold or Platinum EL (Enhanced Latency) modules in 2x1Ghz configuration
May as well get modules with decent timings if you're building a power system. Expect to pay more for the Platinum though. Don't bother with the titanium, they're twice the price of Gold and the timings won't make enough of a performance difference to warrant this.

Graphics
XFX Geforce 7950GX2
Overclocked from stock, and with the fastest GPU configuration around, this is probably the fastest single-GPU configuration out of the box, on the planet. I have an X1900XT (great card) but there's no disputing the benchmarks - if you can afford it, the 7950GX2 is king... and the XFX OC'd version is even faster.

PSU
Antec NeoHE 550w
Yup, a 1KW PSU is definitely overkill. With the current rate of GPU advancement, I don't personally see the need for SLI given the noise and heat it generates. The NeoHE 550w will handle everything a single-GPU setup (even oc'd) can throw at it, and will do it quieter and with higher efficiency than the TruePower version.

Sound Card
Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum
I'll be honest with you, unless you need the external breakout box (for audio recording applications) then the Elite Pro is a complete waste of money that could be better spent elsewhere in the system. The Platinum will do you fine.

Hard Diskp
Western Digital 150GB Raptor
Pricey, but the current performance king. Also, strongly consider a RAID configuration, but if you choose the performance route for RAID it has its risks.

Now, you have saved some $$$ above and you've still got plenty of cash.. what next?

Well, if you want to enjoy high resolution gaming then you'd best have a decent HDTV-ready TV.

Alternatively, plough some of that cash into a large low-latency LCD monitor such as a high-end ViewSonic.

You'll also want some extras.

Maybe a surround-sound setup (eg Logitech Z-5500)?

Decent peripherals... nice keyboard and a Logitech G7 wireless laser mouse?

Anyway, I wish I had the same lack of limitations as you have when building a PC.

Good luck :) 
July 23, 2006 8:34:43 PM

ua, thanks for explaining in more detail what you want to achieve with your build. With your varied goals, I think you have set your sights too narrowly on one PC -- I think you need at least 2! If you think about cars, does anyone buy just one "ultimate" car for both family shopping trips and autocross?

Start by thinking about what subsystems the different apps use:
1) P2P - moderate-to-heavy network, moderate-to-heavy disk
2) video/mm - moderate-to-heavy disk, moderate-to-heavy CPU, moderate GPU for viewing
3) gaming - heavy GPU, heavy CPU, moderate network

P2P and video encoding/ripping audio/etc are usually tasks you start up and then don't look at until they are done, while video/audio playback and gaming you obviously are paying attention to.

KVM switches for only a few computers are cheap and high-quality, and gigabit-speed NAS w/500-1000GB of storage are getting quite reasonable and easy-to-use (something like Buffalo's Linkstations - avoid NetGear stuff like the plague!).

My suggestion would be to hook up your broadband internet router (with or without WiFi builtin) to a 5-port gigabit ethernet switch. Connect up a gigabit NAS server with a couple of 500GB drives to the switch. Set up 2 PCs:
#1) Processing/P2P cruncher ("SUV"): dual-core, one notch below top-end CPU for heat/stability, modern stable MB w/at least 6 SATA channels, high-quality hardware RAID:0,1,5 etc, good gigabit ethernet, support for up to 8GB RAM. Start w/4 SATA drives (RAID 5; 4x300GB/7200rpm should run $500-600). Don't worry about gaming video for this, so a midrange ($200) graphics board with good movie video support. Definitely get a top-quality full-tower case for this ($200 range), as you'll have lots of drives and want good cooling. 1kW PS is still overkill for this, but I'd get a top quality 700W PS. Install 2GB DDR2-800 RAM as 2x1GB, leaving the other 2 slots free for when you move up to a 64-bit OS. A high-quality sound card if built-in audio isn't good. A couple of DVD-R/W dual-layer drives for burning, and two DVD-read-only drives for source material/playback of CDs/DVDs.
#2) Gaming rig ("Sports car"): same CPU as above, MB emphasis on gaming, so SLI or equiv support (even though it often turns out to be better just to get the next-generation single-card GPU), stable components (support for some overclocking wouldn't hurt), gigabit ethernet, 2x1GB RAM, single SATA hard drive (300-400GB), single DVD-R/W drive, sound card depending on built-in audio.

This way, you can do all your crunching on the big box without interfering with your more interactive rig. With the KVM switch, you can easily switch the keyboard/mouse/display back and forth. With the gigabit ethernet and storage station, you can easily transfer P2P files, movies, audio, whatever to reasonably fast storage that is online even when one or the other computer is off. You can play back movies/audio/etc from either computer while using the other one for something else. You can set up and run a batch of P2P xfers O/N and turn the other computer/monitor/etc off.
Anyway, the group here has made a lot of good suggestions for the gaming rig, and will probably have good specifics for the "SUV" too, if you decide to go that route.
Have fun!
July 24, 2006 3:57:36 AM

hi every body,

thanx Mondoman for your post and explainasion and your setup was my next phase to have a central file saving in a nas storage and connecting to it by gigabit speed to be for the clients as a local disk. but my concern from the begining was to finilize the PC biulding with the latest compitable hight quality components. and then i implementing this.

DaveUK, thanx man for your post two it was really helpfull to me and it make me confident of what i am going to choose.

thanx everybody for everything , i think i have a full idea of what i am going to choose and i will post it soon . just and as a last quision. I am still not sure of the motherboard. I want a latest motherboard wich accept the x6600 and in the same time i can use it for at least 10 years without needing another one .

also can you guyse tell me your openion about thies two motherboard and which is better in your point of view and why

Intel® Desktop Board D975XBX and Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6

is there any other motherboard which is more better than ties two and thanx in advance

Your's
uaeabudhabi
July 24, 2006 4:23:05 AM

Quote:
I want a latest motherboard wich accept the x6600 and in the same time i can use it for at least 10 years without needing another one
also can you guyse tell me your openion about thies two motherboard and which is better in your point of view and why
Intel® Desktop Board D975XBX and Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6

1. Building a computer (especially if it's for gaming) that's going to last you 10 years is impossible.

2. I vote for the Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6, because it specifies Kentsfield support. This would be the smarter choice since you seem to be looking for the most future-proof board available right now.
July 24, 2006 5:04:33 AM

Quote:
AMD has 3DNow and that helps in gaming,intel is more of a buisness class CPU or multi tasking,AMD is better at singal aplications

intel cpus have 3dnow too my friend....
July 24, 2006 5:10:33 AM

Quote:
the fastest GPU configuration around, this is probably the fastest single-GPU configuration out of the box, on the planet.

single card ..... ha.......talking about 7950....in desperation nvidia through 2x7900 so it can gain a little performance over the undisputed king of pixels ...talking about ati.....
imagine what would have happened if ati had combined 2 x1900 in one card
July 24, 2006 8:28:27 AM

Quote:
imagine what would have happened if ati had combined 2 x1900 in one card

you would be able to cook breakfast, and heat your house up at the same time.
July 24, 2006 11:44:47 AM

hyhyhy...you`re funny dude
!