AD Snap In Query

Hi All,

Just a quick query.

Everytime i launch the AD snap in from my workstation. It takes a very long
time to open. When it does, its connected to a different DC when is on a
remote subnet located in a different state which explains the delay.

How can I get the AD snap in connect to a local DC on my subnet all the time?

I'm running Windows XP SP2 and my DCs are all W2K3. In each local subnet,
there is a GC server available.

Regards,
Sung

If memory servers me right (I couldn't find a KB article) the snapin should
connect to the DC you authenticated to. To find this out at a commend
prompt type in "set logonserver", (Without the quotes) this should show
you the server you have authenticated to. If this is the same remote server
I would suspect you haven't set up site definitions within your AD
infrastructure.

"" wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Just a quick query.
>
> Everytime i launch the AD snap in from my workstation. It
> takes a very long
> time to open. When it does, its connected to a different DC
> when is on a
> remote subnet located in a different state which explains the
> delay.
>
> How can I get the AD snap in connect to a local DC on my
> subnet all the time?
>
> I'm running Windows XP SP2 and my DCs are all W2K3. In each
> local subnet,
> there is a GC server available.
>

> Regards,
> Sung

Do you have a local DC? If you do there might be something wrong with
your sites and subnets configuration of you do not have a subnet
definition for the network subnet you work from

you can use the AD MMC as mentioned in:

Starting Active Directory MMC consoles from the command-line
Active Directory MMC consoles, including Active Directory Users and
Computers (dsa.msc), Active Directory Domains and Trusts (domain.msc)
and Active Directory Sites and Services (dssite.msc), provide
command-line options that allow you to start a console focused on a
particular domain or domain controller. The command-line options
support both fully qualified domain names and NetBIOS names.

The command-line options are:

• /domain=FullyQualifiedDomainName

• /domain=NetBIOSDomainName

• /server=FullyQualifiedDomainControllerName

• /server=NetBIOSDomainControllerName

You can use these command-line options to run the Active Directory MMC
consoles directly from the command line, or you can create a shortcut
to start a console and add the appropriate command-line options to the
shortcut. You can also use the command-line options with any custom
consoles that you create. For more information about creating and
saving console files, see Windows interface administrative tool
reference A-Z: Microsoft Management Console.

Command-line examples:

• To start Active Directory Users and Computers focused on domain1,
type:

dsa.msc /domain=domain1

• To start Active Directory Users and Computers focused on server1,
type:

dsa.msc /server=server1.domain1

• To start Active Directory Sites and Services focused on server1,
type:

dssite.msc /server=server1.domain1

• To start Active Directory Domains and Trusts focused on server1,
type:

domain.msc /server=server1.domain1

Notes

• Do not use both a /domain and /server command-line option at the
same time.

• The /domain options can only be used with Active Directory Users
and Computers.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Active-Directory-AD-Snap-Query-ftopict405917.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1346406

"" wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Just a quick query.
>
> Everytime i launch the AD snap in from my workstation. It
> takes a very long
> time to open. When it does, its connected to a different DC
> when is on a
> remote subnet located in a different state which explains the
> delay.
>
> How can I get the AD snap in connect to a local DC on my
> subnet all the time?
>
> I'm running Windows XP SP2 and my DCs are all W2K3. In each
> local subnet,
> there is a GC server available.
>

> Regards,
> Sung

Hi

open command prompt and type "net share"
and it will show you that sysvol and netlogon shares are not shared on
the DC on which you are sitting now

and fix this issue and everything will be fine

and do not share sysvol and netlogon shares manually because they are
shared by system

else you call microsoft to help you in sharing sysvol and netlogon
shares

---
Nitin

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Active-Directory-AD-Snap-Query-ftopict405917.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1347360

Thanks everyone!

There must be something wrong with my site and subnet definitions. The DC
which is authenticating me, is the default DC that i'm connected when
launching the AD MMC Snap Ins.

I will check my site & subnet definitions.

Regards,
Sung

"" wrote:
> Thanks everyone!
>
> There must be something wrong with my site and subnet
> definitions. The DC
> which is authenticating me, is the default DC that i'm
> connected when
> launching the AD MMC Snap Ins.
>
> I will check my site & subnet definitions.
>
> Regards,
> Sung
>

> "nitin" wrote:
>
> > "" wrote:
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > Just a quick query.
> > >
> > > Everytime i launch the AD snap in from my workstation. It
> > > takes a very long
> > > time to open. When it does, its connected to a different
> DC
> > > when is on a
> > > remote subnet located in a different state which
> explains the
> > > delay.
> > >
> > > How can I get the AD snap in connect to a local DC on my
> > > subnet all the time?
> > >
> > > I'm running Windows XP SP2 and my DCs are all W2K3. In
> each
> > > local subnet,
> > > there is a GC server available.
> > >

> > > Regards,
> > > Sung
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > open command prompt and type "net share"
> > and it will show you that sysvol and netlogon shares are not
> shared on
> > the DC on which you are sitting now
> >
> > and fix this issue and everything will be fine
> >
> > and do not share sysvol and netlogon shares manually because
> they are
> > shared by system
> >
> > else you call microsoft to help you in sharing sysvol and
> netlogon
> > shares
> >
> > ---
> > Nitin
> >
> > --
> > Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's request
> standards
> > Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Active-Directory-AD-Snap-Query-ftopict405917.html
> > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1347360

Hi sir

i am sure that your default shares are missing that’s why you are
facing this problem

make sure that you have your default shares on the server

---
Nitin