How long a DC can be down?

I have a site that is down for a week now. How long a domain controller can
be down before it's remove from Active Directory? This DC is in a branch
office and the first DC is in the HQ. Both are Windows 2003 server.
Thanks,

"Hien Doan" <HienDoan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a site that is down for a week now. How long a domain controller
can
> be down

By default: 60 days.

> ..before it's remove from Active Directory?

Never. You must always remove DCs manually if it is not done
through DCPromo (which is also a manual choice.)

> This DC is in a branch
> office and the first DC is in the HQ. Both are Windows 2003 server.

Also watch out for DNS issues. (Some people turn on scavenging and
cause more problems there with out of contact DCs than with the DC
directly.)

--
Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
Accelerated MCSE

To add to Herb's response, 180 days is tolerable (though certainly not a
recommendation) if the forest was built using Windows 2003 SP1.

--
Dean Wells [MVP / Directory Services]
MSEtechnology

"Dean Wells [MVP]" <dwells@mask.msetechnology.com> wrote in message
> To add to Herb's response, 180 days is tolerable (though certainly not a
> recommendation) if the forest was built using Windows 2003 SP1.

I actually considered saying "30 days" (instead of 60) since that is
really "too long" to do without a needed DC. <grin>

--
Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
Accelerated MCSE

> --
> Dean Wells [MVP / Directory Services]
> MSEtechnology
> [[ Please respond to the Newsgroup only regarding posts ]]
> R e m o v e t h e m a s k t o s e n d e m a i l
>
> Herb Martin wrote:
> > "Hien Doan" <HienDoan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> I have a site that is down for a week now. How long a domain
> >> controller can be down
> >
> > By default: 60 days.
> >
> >> ..before it's remove from Active Directory?
> >
> > Never. You must always remove DCs manually if it is not done
> > through DCPromo (which is also a manual choice.)
> >
> >> This DC is in a branch
> >> office and the first DC is in the HQ. Both are Windows 2003 server.
> >
> > Also watch out for DNS issues. (Some people turn on scavenging and
> > cause more problems there with out of contact DCs than with the DC
> > directly.)

Hello Hien,

The DC would never be removed from the Active directory. There is a
tombstone life time for windows 2003 DCS which is 60 days. So make sure that
the DC is up before 60 days. One week or two should not pose a problem.

Thanks

Balakrishnan Nair

"Hien Doan" wrote:

> I have a site that is down for a week now. How long a domain controller can
> be down before it's remove from Active Directory? This DC is in a branch
> office and the first DC is in the HQ. Both are Windows 2003 server.
> Thanks,

Best put as:

"Thirty days - no pain ..."

-ds