Andy

Can you force a DC to only replicate with certain other DC's, perhaps at a
site level?

I have an issue where a vpn tunnel is not open from site A to site B, and
would like to have a server on site C to replicate with only a server on
site A, so site B will still replicate information, just not through site A.

Is this possible?

You should be able to do this with replmon, a free tool with the support
tools.

Install disk

Support tools
d:\support\tools\setup.exe

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/TechRef/6857188e-db4c-46f4-b417-35de4aeaa7d7.mspx

"Andy" <andrewDOTstoryATjameswalkerDOTbiz> wrote in message
> Can you force a DC to only replicate with certain other DC's, perhaps at a
> site level?
>
> I have an issue where a vpn tunnel is not open from site A to site B, and
> would like to have a server on site C to replicate with only a server on
> site A, so site B will still replicate information, just not through site
> A.
>
> Is this possible?

Andy

Thanks Paul,

I've had a look but it dosen't appear to provide me with an option of not
trying to replicate with a DC on another site.

I may not have explained very well, sorry,, but i'll try again.

We have many sites, say A, B, C, D, E, and F. We also have vpn tunnels
between **some** sites. The DC on Site A is constantly logging event ID
1311 &1566 KCC errors. The errors advise that Site A's DC cannot
replicate/connect with site B's DC.
There is no direct VPN tunnel between site A and site B, site A cannot ping
site B but istry to connect to site B's DC, even though not configured in
ADS&S.

Any more help much appreciated.

In ADS&S, the DC's replication partners are setup, but from

"Paul Bergson" <pbergson@allete_nospam.com> wrote in message
> You should be able to do this with replmon, a free tool with the support
> tools.
>
> Install disk
>
> Support tools
> d:\support\tools\setup.exe

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/TechRef/6857188e-db4c-46f4-b417-35de4aeaa7d7.mspx

> --
>

> Paul Bergson MCT, MCSE, MCSA, CNE, CNA, CCA

rights.

> "Andy" <andrewDOTstoryATjameswalkerDOTbiz> wrote in message
> > Can you force a DC to only replicate with certain other DC's, perhaps at
> > site level?
> >
> > I have an issue where a vpn tunnel is not open from site A to site B,
and
> > would like to have a server on site C to replicate with only a server on
> > site A, so site B will still replicate information, just not through
site
> > A.
> >
> > Is this possible?

This appears to be a bridging issue.

Have you gone through the KB article below?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307593

"" wrote:
> Can you force a DC to only replicate with certain other DC's,
> perhaps at a
> site level?
>
> I have an issue where a vpn tunnel is not open from site A to
> site B, and
> would like to have a server on site C to replicate with only a
> server on
> site A, so site B will still replicate information, just not
> through site A.
>
> Is this possible?

that depends on your replication topology...

remove the site link between site A and B and add a site like for site
B and C and a site link for C and A

what is the site structure and what is the structure of the underlying
network? Which location communicates with which location, etc.
maybe then I can give you a better answer

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Active-Directory-Forcing-replication-sites-ftopict406581.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1348459

Andy

Thanks for the article, I have just had a good read through it and it seems
to be that the events are being caused due to the fact we don't physical
connectivity between 2 sites....we do however have all sites defined in site
links to sites with physical connectivity.

It mentions turning off site link bridging to resolve the issue, but also
says it's best practice to leave it on : )

I may just ask our network analyst to create a VPN tunnel between the 2
sites, rather than diable site link bridging.

Thanks for your help though, appreciated greatly.