InCD

I got rid of InCD and that cured all my shutdown and CD problems.

--
Darrell

My email: darrell@darrellbassett.com
My web site: www.darrellbassett.com
10 answers Last reply
More about incd

    What problems? Did you post regarding a problem with shutdown? I don't
    have a clue what you're talking about.

    "Darrell" <darrellb58@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I got rid of InCD and that cured all my shutdown and CD problems.
    >
    > --
    > Darrell
    >
    > My email: darrell@darrellbassett.com
    > My web site: www.darrellbassett.com

    I'm glad you got it all sorted, now, what are you talking about? I have InCD
    and it works just fine, if you know what InCD is!

    JAX

    "Darrell" <darrellb58@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >I got rid of InCD and that cured all my shutdown and CD problems.
    >
    > --
    > Darrell
    >
    > My email: darrell@darrellbassett.com
    > My web site: www.darrellbassett.com

    It appears that reading isn't your strong point. He's talking about
    shutdown and CD problems when InCd is installed, why is that difficult to
    understand?

    InCd is or at least use to be a very 'buggy' program for many and may be
    still for all I know as I gave up on it several years ago. The whole raison
    d'etre for the program is flawed as it writes unreliable media (CD problems:
    this is well documented and is not a matter for debate) and it often causes
    start up problems in many systems, including mine due to the way it is
    integrated into the OS. I am sure there are many who are satisfied with
    InCd, I use to be but now have a little more experience of the potential
    problems it causes once installed. When you have lost irreplaceable data
    from a CDRW recorded using InCd or any of its sister programs, you may also
    not be so enamoured with fixed length packet writing and the UDF format.
    There is little advantage gained by using erasable CDs as large floppies but
    there sure is much to be lost.

    "Kevin" <kevincf@excite.com> wrote in message
    > What problems? Did you post regarding a problem with shutdown? I don't
    > have a clue what you're talking about.
    >
    > "Darrell" <darrellb58@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> I got rid of InCD and that cured all my shutdown and CD problems.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Darrell
    >>
    >> My email: darrell@darrellbassett.com
    >> My web site: www.darrellbassett.com

    I use InCD with no problems, since I unchecked it from the startup list.

    --
    Peter.
    Toronto, Canada.
    "Edward W. Thompson" <thomeduk1@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
    > It appears that reading isn't your strong point. He's talking about
    > shutdown and CD problems when InCd is installed, why is that difficult to
    > understand?
    >
    > InCd is or at least use to be a very 'buggy' program for many and may be
    > still for all I know as I gave up on it several years ago. The whole
    > raison d'etre for the program is flawed as it writes unreliable media (CD
    > problems: this is well documented and is not a matter for debate) and it
    > often causes start up problems in many systems, including mine due to the
    > way it is integrated into the OS. I am sure there are many who are
    > satisfied with InCd, I use to be but now have a little more experience of
    > the potential problems it causes once installed. When you have lost
    > irreplaceable data from a CDRW recorded using InCd or any of its sister
    > programs, you may also not be so enamoured with fixed length packet
    > writing and the UDF format. There is little advantage gained by using
    > erasable CDs as large floppies but there sure is much to be lost.
    >

    > "Kevin" <kevincf@excite.com> wrote in message
    >> What problems? Did you post regarding a problem with shutdown? I don't
    >> have a clue what you're talking about.
    >>
    >> "Darrell" <darrellb58@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>> I got rid of InCD and that cured all my shutdown and CD problems.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Darrell
    >>>
    >>> My email: darrell@darrellbassett.com
    >>> My web site: www.darrellbassett.com

    I can read just fine. His post was a statement as opposed to an
    interrogative. I figured the poster had written a new post instead of a
    reply. My version of InCD works perfectly. I have no shutdown problems at
    all. I have no problems with either of my CD drives. All my disks are
    readable and usable even through a system format and clean install of XP.
    InCD works exactly as it is supposed to.

    "Edward W. Thompson" <thomeduk1@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
    > It appears that reading isn't your strong point. He's talking about
    > shutdown and CD problems when InCd is installed, why is that difficult to
    > understand?
    >
    > InCd is or at least use to be a very 'buggy' program for many and may be
    > still for all I know as I gave up on it several years ago. The whole
    raison
    > d'etre for the program is flawed as it writes unreliable media (CD
    problems:
    > this is well documented and is not a matter for debate) and it often
    causes
    > start up problems in many systems, including mine due to the way it is
    > integrated into the OS. I am sure there are many who are satisfied with
    > InCd, I use to be but now have a little more experience of the potential
    > problems it causes once installed. When you have lost irreplaceable data
    > from a CDRW recorded using InCd or any of its sister programs, you may
    also
    > not be so enamoured with fixed length packet writing and the UDF format.
    > There is little advantage gained by using erasable CDs as large floppies
    but
    > there sure is much to be lost.
    >

    > "Kevin" <kevincf@excite.com> wrote in message
    > > What problems? Did you post regarding a problem with shutdown? I don't
    > > have a clue what you're talking about.
    > >
    > > "Darrell" <darrellb58@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > >> I got rid of InCD and that cured all my shutdown and CD problems.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Darrell
    > >>
    > >> My email: darrell@darrellbassett.com
    > >> My web site: www.darrellbassett.com

    InCD works quite well.. I use it to transfer data from one computer to
    another.. I recently upgraded to Version 6 of Nero and InCD.. the computer
    closed down when a cd was inserted into the drive, and I hated the new Nero
    interface with a passion.. no problem though.. I reinstated version 5.. all
    is well once again..

    "Edward W. Thompson" <thomeduk1@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
    > It appears that reading isn't your strong point. He's talking about
    > shutdown and CD problems when InCd is installed, why is that difficult to
    > understand?
    >
    > InCd is or at least use to be a very 'buggy' program for many and may be
    > still for all I know as I gave up on it several years ago. The whole
    > raison d'etre for the program is flawed as it writes unreliable media (CD
    > problems: this is well documented and is not a matter for debate) and it
    > often causes start up problems in many systems, including mine due to the
    > way it is integrated into the OS. I am sure there are many who are
    > satisfied with InCd, I use to be but now have a little more experience of
    > the potential problems it causes once installed. When you have lost
    > irreplaceable data from a CDRW recorded using InCd or any of its sister
    > programs, you may also not be so enamoured with fixed length packet
    > writing and the UDF format. There is little advantage gained by using
    > erasable CDs as large floppies but there sure is much to be lost.
    >

    > "Kevin" <kevincf@excite.com> wrote in message
    >> What problems? Did you post regarding a problem with shutdown? I don't
    >> have a clue what you're talking about.
    >>
    >> "Darrell" <darrellb58@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>> I got rid of InCD and that cured all my shutdown and CD problems.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Darrell
    >>>
    >>> My email: darrell@darrellbassett.com
    >>> My web site: www.darrellbassett.com

    It is a famously known problem if used in conjuction with Microsoft Virtual
    PC 2004 and Virtual Server 2005. It prevents the allocation of ram to the
    guest computers.

    "Edward W. Thompson" <thomeduk1@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
    > It appears that reading isn't your strong point. He's talking about
    > shutdown and CD problems when InCd is installed, why is that difficult to
    > understand?
    >
    > InCd is or at least use to be a very 'buggy' program for many and may be
    > still for all I know as I gave up on it several years ago. The whole
    > raison d'etre for the program is flawed as it writes unreliable media (CD
    > problems: this is well documented and is not a matter for debate) and it
    > often causes start up problems in many systems, including mine due to the
    > way it is integrated into the OS. I am sure there are many who are
    > satisfied with InCd, I use to be but now have a little more experience of
    > the potential problems it causes once installed. When you have lost
    > irreplaceable data from a CDRW recorded using InCd or any of its sister
    > programs, you may also not be so enamoured with fixed length packet
    > writing and the UDF format. There is little advantage gained by using
    > erasable CDs as large floppies but there sure is much to be lost.
    >

    > "Kevin" <kevincf@excite.com> wrote in message
    >> What problems? Did you post regarding a problem with shutdown? I don't
    >> have a clue what you're talking about.
    >>
    >> "Darrell" <darrellb58@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>> I got rid of InCD and that cured all my shutdown and CD problems.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Darrell
    >>>
    >>> My email: darrell@darrellbassett.com
    >>> My web site: www.darrellbassett.com

    It is unfortunate that packet writing is so flaky. I recall the first time I
    lost data on a Direct CD formatted disk what a PITA. I've also found that
    packet writing software used to cause system instability at times so I don't
    use it either.

    The 2 main reasons for problems with packet formatted discs are
    1) over using rewriteable media. While CD-R/W are purported to be writeable
    1000 times one must understand what happens with packet writing. Each time a
    file is written to, modified and rewritten or deleted from a packet
    formatted disc the TOC (Table of Contents) changes and must be rewritten.
    The TOC is located in one area of a CD-R/W. Even a slight change to the disc
    causes one small area of the CD-R/W to be rewritten to again and again. It
    really doesn't take long before that area has been written to hundreds of
    times even though it might seem that it has hardly been used.

    2) improper ejection of discs or bad shutdown. As mentioned above the TOC is
    changed each time a packet formatted disc is worked with. Packet writing
    software like InCD stores some information in a virtual cache and only
    writes that data to the disc when it is ejected. If you use Packet Writing
    software you can see this yourself. Just press the eject button or use the
    software eject option and you'll see the CD Writer burning indicator light
    flash a couple of times before the disc is ejected. If this data is not
    written to the disc the system finds an unreadable TOC. No Table of Contents
    and there is no way for windows to find any data on the disc. Always eject
    packet formatted discs before shutting down and one should use the software
    eject option rather than the drive eject button. Sometimes a system lockup
    occurs and you are forced to do a hard reboot. This can result in the vcache
    data not being written and cause an unreadable disc

    I learned that if one must use packet formatting then you should only use a
    CD-R/W for a limited time before copying the data to CD-R. You should also
    invest in recovery software that can read raw data from the disc. ISOBuster
    can do this as can CD-R Diagnostics.

    .--

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "Edward W. Thompson" <thomeduk1@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
    | It appears that reading isn't your strong point. He's talking about
    | shutdown and CD problems when InCd is installed, why is that difficult to
    | understand?
    |
    | InCd is or at least use to be a very 'buggy' program for many and may be
    | still for all I know as I gave up on it several years ago. The whole
    raison
    | d'etre for the program is flawed as it writes unreliable media (CD
    problems:
    | this is well documented and is not a matter for debate) and it often
    causes
    | start up problems in many systems, including mine due to the way it is
    | integrated into the OS. I am sure there are many who are satisfied with
    | InCd, I use to be but now have a little more experience of the potential
    | problems it causes once installed. When you have lost irreplaceable data
    | from a CDRW recorded using InCd or any of its sister programs, you may
    also
    | not be so enamoured with fixed length packet writing and the UDF format.
    | There is little advantage gained by using erasable CDs as large floppies
    but
    | there sure is much to be lost.
    |

    | "Kevin" <kevincf@excite.com> wrote in message
    | > What problems? Did you post regarding a problem with shutdown? I don't
    | > have a clue what you're talking about.
    | >
    | > "Darrell" <darrellb58@comcast.net> wrote in message
    | >> I got rid of InCD and that cured all my shutdown and CD problems.
    | >>
    | >> --
    | >> Darrell
    | >>
    | >> My email: darrell@darrellbassett.com
    | >> My web site: www.darrellbassett.com

    I still don't use InCD but I too reinstalled Nero 5 instead of 6

    Darrell

    "Mike Hall" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > InCD works quite well.. I use it to transfer data from one computer to
    > another.. I recently upgraded to Version 6 of Nero and InCD.. the computer
    > closed down when a cd was inserted into the drive, and I hated the new
    > Nero interface with a passion.. no problem though.. I reinstated version
    > 5.. all is well once again..
    >

    > "Edward W. Thompson" <thomeduk1@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
    >> It appears that reading isn't your strong point. He's talking about
    >> shutdown and CD problems when InCd is installed, why is that difficult to
    >> understand?
    >>
    >> InCd is or at least use to be a very 'buggy' program for many and may be
    >> still for all I know as I gave up on it several years ago. The whole
    >> raison d'etre for the program is flawed as it writes unreliable media (CD
    >> problems: this is well documented and is not a matter for debate) and it
    >> often causes start up problems in many systems, including mine due to the
    >> way it is integrated into the OS. I am sure there are many who are
    >> satisfied with InCd, I use to be but now have a little more experience of
    >> the potential problems it causes once installed. When you have lost
    >> irreplaceable data from a CDRW recorded using InCd or any of its sister
    >> programs, you may also not be so enamoured with fixed length packet
    >> writing and the UDF format. There is little advantage gained by using
    >> erasable CDs as large floppies but there sure is much to be lost.
    >>

    >> "Kevin" <kevincf@excite.com> wrote in message
    >>> What problems? Did you post regarding a problem with shutdown? I don't
    >>> have a clue what you're talking about.
    >>>
    >>> "Darrell" <darrellb58@comcast.net> wrote in message

    I posted this in windowsxp.basics because I am new to XP and am learning the
    basics. Your right, I did not know what InCD was until I went from W98 to
    XP. I was having troubles with my CD drives and shutdowns and everything
    pointed to InCD. I removed it and have no other known issues on my pc.

    Darrell

    "JAX" <slipslide@pop.not> wrote in message
    > I'm glad you got it all sorted, now, what are you talking about? I have
    > InCD and it works just fine, if you know what InCD is!
    >
    > JAX
    >
    > "Darrell" <darrellb58@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>I got rid of InCD and that cured all my shutdown and CD problems.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Darrell
    >>
    >> My email: darrell@darrellbassett.com
    >> My web site: www.darrellbassett.com