2min or more delay longing on to domain with XP Pro SP2

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
August 9, 2005 4:16:04 PM

For some reason I have 2 users who are running XP Pro SP2 and are
experiencing a 2 min or longer delay when logging into the domain. I have
verified the DNS and NIC settings, Link speed etc. I have ensured that the
Web Client is at the bottom of the network providers list. I have tried
uninstalling and reinstalling and updating the NIC drivers and TCP/IP
settings. I have also disabled the Web Client service. Tried adding a host
entry for my domain controller but have been unsucesfull in finding a
resolution or the root cause. This seems to have happened suddenly to both
users with no changes to GP, SUS updates or any local installs.
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 6:49:04 PM

If they have roaming profiles check to see if they have LARGE amounts off
data to download to their desktop.

"geodas" <geodas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> For some reason I have 2 users who are running XP Pro SP2 and are
> experiencing a 2 min or longer delay when logging into the domain. I have
> verified the DNS and NIC settings, Link speed etc. I have ensured that the
> Web Client is at the bottom of the network providers list. I have tried
> uninstalling and reinstalling and updating the NIC drivers and TCP/IP
> settings. I have also disabled the Web Client service. Tried adding a host
> entry for my domain controller but have been unsucesfull in finding a
> resolution or the root cause. This seems to have happened suddenly to both
> users with no changes to GP, SUS updates or any local installs.
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 6:49:05 PM

Profiles are local not roaming, I have tried troubleshooting based on Article
ID : 832161

Now looking at Article ID : 326152 and Article ID : 239924

"Paul Bergson" wrote:

> If they have roaming profiles check to see if they have LARGE amounts off
> data to download to their desktop.
>
> --
>

> Paul Bergson MCT, MCSE, MCSA, CNE, CNA, CCA

> "geodas" <geodas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > For some reason I have 2 users who are running XP Pro SP2 and are
> > experiencing a 2 min or longer delay when logging into the domain. I have
> > verified the DNS and NIC settings, Link speed etc. I have ensured that the
> > Web Client is at the bottom of the network providers list. I have tried
> > uninstalling and reinstalling and updating the NIC drivers and TCP/IP
> > settings. I have also disabled the Web Client service. Tried adding a host
> > entry for my domain controller but have been unsucesfull in finding a
> > resolution or the root cause. This seems to have happened suddenly to both
> > users with no changes to GP, SUS updates or any local installs.

August 9, 2005 7:25:05 PM

Another thing to look at is if they have any persistent connections that are
not connecting. You could see these in their "My Network Places".

> Profiles are local not roaming, I have tried troubleshooting based on
> Article
> ID : 832161
>
> Now looking at Article ID : 326152 and Article ID : 239924
>
> "Paul Bergson" wrote:
>
>> If they have roaming profiles check to see if they have LARGE amounts off
>> data to download to their desktop.
>>
>> --
>>

>> Paul Bergson MCT, MCSE, MCSA, CNE, CNA, CCA

>> rights.
>>

>> "geodas" <geodas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > For some reason I have 2 users who are running XP Pro SP2 and are
>> > experiencing a 2 min or longer delay when logging into the domain. I
>> > have
>> > verified the DNS and NIC settings, Link speed etc. I have ensured that
>> > the
>> > Web Client is at the bottom of the network providers list. I have tried
>> > uninstalling and reinstalling and updating the NIC drivers and TCP/IP
>> > settings. I have also disabled the Web Client service. Tried adding a
>> > host
>> > entry for my domain controller but have been unsucesfull in finding a
>> > resolution or the root cause. This seems to have happened suddenly to
>> > both
>> > users with no changes to GP, SUS updates or any local installs.

Anonymous
August 9, 2005 7:25:06 PM

No persistent connections either, this one really has me stumped.

"Paul Bergson" wrote:

> Another thing to look at is if they have any persistent connections that are
> not connecting. You could see these in their "My Network Places".
>
> --
>

> Paul Bergson MCT, MCSE, MCSA, CNE, CNA, CCA

> "geodas" <geodas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Profiles are local not roaming, I have tried troubleshooting based on
> > Article
> > ID : 832161
> >
> > Now looking at Article ID : 326152 and Article ID : 239924
> >
> > "Paul Bergson" wrote:
> >
> >> If they have roaming profiles check to see if they have LARGE amounts off
> >> data to download to their desktop.
> >>
> >> --
> >>

> >> Paul Bergson MCT, MCSE, MCSA, CNE, CNA, CCA

> >> rights.
> >>

> >> "geodas" <geodas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
August 9, 2005 10:11:25 PM

At which login message does it hang up?

Slow login is usually a DNS problem.

With XP systems, especially with gigabit adapters you usually will need to disable
fast logon optimization in group policy.

f you're sure that isn't it, I'd try removing and rejoining the computer account. (You can fool with
nltest and such but it is easier to just re-create the machine account in most cases.)

Also check if you are logging anything at the time of the login.

Steve Duff, MCSE, MVP
Ergodic Systems, Inc.

"geodas" <geodas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C065D67B-B4B2-4C9B-A103-5926F6C4320E@microsoft.com...
> For some reason I have 2 users who are running XP Pro SP2 and are
> experiencing a 2 min or longer delay when logging into the domain. I have
> verified the DNS and NIC settings, Link speed etc. I have ensured that the
> Web Client is at the bottom of the network providers list. I have tried
> uninstalling and reinstalling and updating the NIC drivers and TCP/IP
> settings. I have also disabled the Web Client service. Tried adding a host
> entry for my domain controller but have been unsucesfull in finding a
> resolution or the root cause. This seems to have happened suddenly to both
> users with no changes to GP, SUS updates or any local installs.
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 11:40:31 AM

If you logon to one of these machines is the slow response the same or is it
not occurring? If not occurring, save any user files and delete the profile
and rebuild for the user.

> No persistent connections either, this one really has me stumped.
>
> "Paul Bergson" wrote:
>
>> Another thing to look at is if they have any persistent connections that
>> are
>> not connecting. You could see these in their "My Network Places".
>>
>> --
>>

>> Paul Bergson MCT, MCSE, MCSA, CNE, CNA, CCA

>> rights.
>>

>> "geodas" <geodas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Profiles are local not roaming, I have tried troubleshooting based on
>> > Article
>> > ID : 832161
>> >
>> > Now looking at Article ID : 326152 and Article ID : 239924

Anonymous
August 10, 2005 6:07:03 PM

I enter the password, click "OK" and the login prompt sits there grayed out
for over 2 min.

I have tried disabling the fast login option using the Local GP. When I did
that and shutdown and rebooted twice it took over two minutes to even get the
otpion to logon. It simply sat there initiating the network and computer
policies etc.

I have tried removing and re-adding the PC account with no success either.

As for logging, do you simply mean EVENT Viewer logging or apps in general.
I have verified that no other app is logging any info.

DNS seems to be working since I am able to access anything I need on the
network including the Sysvol.

My suffix search order list shows the domain my PC account is a member of
first and then the root for our enterprise. I have a total of 6 entries in my
DNS suffix search order for various domains.

"Steve Duff [MVP]" wrote:

> At which login message does it hang up?
>
> Slow login is usually a DNS problem.
>
> With XP systems, especially with gigabit adapters you usually will need to disable
> fast logon optimization in group policy.
>
> f you're sure that isn't it, I'd try removing and rejoining the computer account. (You can fool with
> nltest and such but it is easier to just re-create the machine account in most cases.)
>
> Also check if you are logging anything at the time of the login.
>
> Steve Duff, MCSE, MVP
> Ergodic Systems, Inc.
>
> "geodas" <geodas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C065D67B-B4B2-4C9B-A103-5926F6C4320E@microsoft.com...
> > For some reason I have 2 users who are running XP Pro SP2 and are
> > experiencing a 2 min or longer delay when logging into the domain. I have
> > verified the DNS and NIC settings, Link speed etc. I have ensured that the
> > Web Client is at the bottom of the network providers list. I have tried
> > uninstalling and reinstalling and updating the NIC drivers and TCP/IP
> > settings. I have also disabled the Web Client service. Tried adding a host
> > entry for my domain controller but have been unsucesfull in finding a
> > resolution or the root cause. This seems to have happened suddenly to both
> > users with no changes to GP, SUS updates or any local installs.

August 11, 2005 11:09:26 PM

geodas wrote:

> I enter the password, click "OK" and the login prompt sits
> there grayed out for over 2 min.
>
> I have tried disabling the fast login option using the Local
> GP. When I did that and shutdown and rebooted twice it took
> over two minutes to even get the otpion to logon. It simply
> sat there initiating the network and computer policies etc.
>
> I have tried removing and re-adding the PC account with no
> success either.
>
> As for logging, do you simply mean EVENT Viewer logging or
> apps in general. I have verified that no other app is logging
> any info.
>
> DNS seems to be working since I am able to access anything
> I need on the network including the Sysvol.
>
> My suffix search order list shows the domain my PC account
> is a member of first and then the root for our enterprise.
> I have a total of 6 entries in my DNS suffix search order
> for various domains.

In the NICs what is the DNS information? Do you supply the
DNS server information by DHCP?

Cheers,

Cliff

August 11, 2005 11:09:27 PM

When you say that things changed with the fast logon optimization disabled,
and that it just greys out the logon dialog, I have to say this feels more like a
basic network issue than any AD configuration problem. Certainly not DNS,
certainly not Kerberos, time sync, machine account, etc. All of these exhibit
different symptoms that what you're reporting.

First eliminate the usual suspects: what comes to mind immediately in
no particular order are: malware infections, parallel Netware client, 3rd-party
firewall, VPN client software, corrupt WINS or bad WINS IP, nonsense in
HOSTS/LMHOSTS. You may be able to grind out a few more. I'd also
do a "netsh winsock reset" just to be safe.

Next, you can try backing out the recent critical updates or hardware
driver updates. If you have a restore point before this started happening that
might be the easiest way.

After ruling out any of that I'd probably next try simply installing a different
model/mfr NIC (which gets you a different driver), tie the workstation to a
different switch port and see what happens.

If that doesn't lead to a solution, try installing a clean XP SP2 to a
different folder, join that to the domain and if it works OK, build
it up to the existing config. with updates, s/w and configuration. At some point
you'll find the cause of the problem.

The alternative is to put in a sniffer or capture traffic and deconstruct what
is going on. This is too painful to really contemplate at this point.

Steve Duff, MCSE, MVP
Ergodic Systems, Inc.

!