Second Active Directory then transfer it to be FMSO. How?

Hi all, want to add a second DC to my Windows 2K network, and make the
new DC the FMSO?

The process as I see it is:
1. Add the new server to the network - Done
2. DCPRomo to get it replicating
3. Once replicated check and confirm.
4. DCPromo older DC to demote it, leaving the New AD as the FMSO

Will this work OK?

Thanks John

Thanks Paul, I probably will leave the second one on, but its on an
exchange server so I want the new DC to be the Primary/FMSO role and
the original to be a secondary back up. I can use the advice below and
hopefully all will be well. A couple more questions if you dont mind.

The second DC has to have DNS on it to operate doesnt it?

Also have DHCP on that server which I would also like to move to the
new DC is that possible?

Thanks John

Thanks Paul, I probably will leave the second one on, but its on an
exchange server so I want the new DC to be the Primary/FMSO role and
the original to be a secondary back up. I can use the advice below and
hopefully all will be well. A couple more questions if you dont mind.

The second DC has to have DNS on it to operate doesnt it?

Also have DHCP on that server which I would also like to move to the
new DC is that possible?

Thanks John

Make sure you have DNS services and the new DC is a Global Catalog, but if
you only have 1 dc and this is the second then it would be a good idea to
leave both on the LAN for any disaster scenarios that could occur in case
there are any hardware failures, etc... Also are you running a WINS server
on the old DC?

Also if the new dc is going to be the new DNS all your clients will need to
point to the new DNS server

See the link below on how to manually move FSMO and set up a Global Catalog
server.

FSMO:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;255690&Product=win2000
GC: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313994

<johnd@arm.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi all, want to add a second DC to my Windows 2K network, and make the
> new DC the FMSO?
>
> The process as I see it is:
> 1. Add the new server to the network - Done
> 2. DCPRomo to get it replicating
> 3. Once replicated check and confirm.
> 4. DCPromo older DC to demote it, leaving the New AD as the FMSO
>
> Will this work OK?
>
> Thanks John

The second dc doesn't need DNS on it unless you want to move it there, just
point the second dc at your dns server. It might be easiest to make it AD
integrated. Before you promote the second dc install dns and make it a
secondary of the first DC, so after the promotion the dns service should
come up on the second DC.

You can move the dhcp server, I have done it and there are a couple of
gotcha's but it isn't to tough.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=130642

> Thanks Paul, I probably will leave the second one on, but its on an
> exchange server so I want the new DC to be the Primary/FMSO role and
> the original to be a secondary back up. I can use the advice below and
> hopefully all will be well. A couple more questions if you dont mind.
>
> The second DC has to have DNS on it to operate doesnt it?
>
> Also have DHCP on that server which I would also like to move to the
> new DC is that possible?
>
> Thanks John

Thanks guys you have been all very helpful. Rgrds John

enkidu

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2002

johnd@arm.co.uk wrote:

> Thanks Paul, I probably will leave the second one on, but its on an
> exchange server so I want the new DC to be the Primary/FMSO role and
> the original to be a secondary back up. I can use the advice below and
> hopefully all will be well. A couple more questions if you dont mind.
>
> The second DC has to have DNS on it to operate doesnt it?

No DC has to have DNS on it, but it's usually easier if you
have at least two DCs with integrated DNS.

DNS is NOT part of Active Directory. AD *uses* DNS and DNS
can be integrated into Active Directory for ease of operation.

> Also have DHCP on that server which I would also like to
> move to the new DC is that possible?

There is a tool called dhcpexim (DHCP Export/Import). It's
pretty easy to use.

Cheers,

Cliff