schema change

I am trying to add a custom attribute to the AD - When I click OK I get a
popup box:

Error:
The role owner attribute could not be read

This is a Windows 2000 SP 4 DC - it is the only DC I have ever had on this
domain.

I have added attributes before with no problems.

Ideas?

Blake
4 answers Last reply
More about schema change

    Are you a member of the Schema Admins group? If not add your self and
    logoff and log back on.

    Paul Bergson wrote:

    > Are you a member of the Schema Admins group? If not add your self and
    > logoff and log back on.

    In theory, if he isn't already a member of that group, it shouldn't even let him
    start the process of adding an attribute as the option to create a new one would
    be greyed out. That's how it has been in my experience with win2k3.

    > --
    >
    > Paul Bergson MCT, MCSE, MCSA, CNE, CNA, CCA

    > "Blake" <blake_duffey@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >I am trying to add a custom attribute to the AD - When I click OK I get a
    > >popup box:
    > >
    > > Error:
    > > The role owner attribute could not be read
    > >
    > > This is a Windows 2000 SP 4 DC - it is the only DC I have ever had on this
    > > domain.
    > >
    > > I have added attributes before with no problems.
    > >
    > > Ideas?
    > >
    > > Blake

    I am logged on as the domain admin

    Blake

    "Paul Bergson" <pbergson@allete_nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Are you a member of the Schema Admins group? If not add your self and
    > logoff and log back on.
    >
    > --
    >

    > Paul Bergson MCT, MCSE, MCSA, CNE, CNA, CCA

    > rights.
    >

    > "Blake" <blake_duffey@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>I am trying to add a custom attribute to the AD - When I click OK I get a
    >>popup box:
    >>
    >> Error:
    >> The role owner attribute could not be read
    >>
    >> This is a Windows 2000 SP 4 DC - it is the only DC I have ever had on
    >> this domain.
    >>
    >> I have added attributes before with no problems.
    >>
    >> Ideas?
    >>
    >> Blake

    Agreed

    As I said, I have done this process a couple times before with no problem.

    I can't find much on the web on this error

    :(

    Blake

    "Brandon McCombs" <bmccombs@ma.rr.com> wrote in message

    > Paul Bergson wrote:
    >
    >> Are you a member of the Schema Admins group? If not add your self and
    >> logoff and log back on.
    >>

    > In theory, if he isn't already a member of that group, it shouldn't even
    > let him
    > start the process of adding an attribute as the option to create a new one
    > would
    > be greyed out. That's how it has been in my experience with win2k3.
    >

    >> --
    >>
    >> Paul Bergson MCT, MCSE, MCSA, CNE, CNA, CCA

    >> rights.
    >>
    >> "Blake" <blake_duffey@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> >I am trying to add a custom attribute to the AD - When I click OK I get
    >> >popup box:
    >> >
    >> > Error:
    >> > The role owner attribute could not be read
    >> >
    >> > This is a Windows 2000 SP 4 DC - it is the only DC I have ever had on
    >> > this
    >> > domain.
    >> >
    >> > I have added attributes before with no problems.
    >> >
    >> > Ideas?
    >> >
    >> > Blake

Microsoft Active Directory Windows