Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Radeon X1800 GTO v Geforce 7600 GT

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 22, 2006 5:59:50 PM

I was looking at both of these cards b/c they seem to both be fairly good cards in my price range. I was leaning toward the Geforce 7600 GT because I can use it straight away out of the box and dont have to worry about overclocking it.

The more I look though I really think that the Radeon X1800 GTO is the better card w/ 256 memory bus as opposed to the 128 of the GeForce. If I could o/c it and somehow open up the 4 ports to make it a 16 pipeline card.

My question is this. I am not experianced w/ o/cing. Is this difficult to do? Is there any kind of walkthrough for it? Lastly is anyone familiar with opening the extra 4 pipelines?

Thanks in advance.
July 22, 2006 9:18:25 PM

Quote:
I was looking at both of these cards b/c they seem to both be fairly good cards in my price range. I was leaning toward the Geforce 7600 GT because I can use it straight away out of the box and dont have to worry about overclocking it.

The more I look though I really think that the Radeon X1800 GTO is the better card w/ 256 memory bus as opposed to the 128 of the GeForce. If I could o/c it and somehow open up the 4 ports to make it a 16 pipeline card.

My question is this. I am not experianced w/ o/cing. Is this difficult to do? Is there any kind of walkthrough for it? Lastly is anyone familiar with opening the extra 4 pipelines?

Thanks in advance.


I've just been doing some google searchs on the 7600 GT and the x1800 GTO. It appears the GTO will give you better preformace in most games (FEAR and Doom 3 being the exceptions). There about the same the price as well which means the GOT is better bang for buck.

If I was to buy one I would the GTO and replace the standard HSF with an Artic Accelero Rev2 ATI as I'm a bit of noise freak (it also gives better cooling).

For me though these cards offer an inexpenisve stop gap bettween buying a new card for my new Core 2 setup and the release for Direcx 10 graphics cards. When the DX 10 come out I plan to really go to town.
July 22, 2006 10:13:23 PM

Quote:
I was looking at both of these cards b/c they seem to both be fairly good cards in my price range. I was leaning toward the Geforce 7600 GT because I can use it straight away out of the box and dont have to worry about overclocking it.

The more I look though I really think that the Radeon X1800 GTO is the better card w/ 256 memory bus as opposed to the 128 of the GeForce. If I could o/c it and somehow open up the 4 ports to make it a 16 pipeline card.

My question is this. I am not experianced w/ o/cing. Is this difficult to do? Is there any kind of walkthrough for it? Lastly is anyone familiar with opening the extra 4 pipelines?

Thanks in advance.


Overclocking is really simple, most drivers now have inbuilt overclocking tools into them. If not a quick google search will reveal you many different guides on how to.

And about opening the other 4 pipelines, i believe it can be done in the program "Rivatuner". It's how i unlocked some pipes on my 6800 le (8 pipes - 16 pipes!). If you get the GTO just give me a PM and i'll walk you through the process of enabling the unopened pipes!
Related resources
July 22, 2006 10:16:46 PM

The 7600GT wins more benchmarks then it loses. They're close enough though that I would simply recommend that you pick your favorite color.
July 22, 2006 10:44:24 PM

Quote:
The 7600GT wins more benchmarks then it loses. They're close enough though that I would simply recommend that you pick your favorite color.


Funny, I've looked at 3 or 4 sites and most them show the GTO winning more test then it losses. :? I guees it depends on what tests your running and what the setup system is.

I didn't know the GTo had pipelines that could be unlocked. If thats true I would be very intrested in finding out how and what sort of preformance benefit it would give.
July 22, 2006 10:46:21 PM

well considering you open up another 33% of pipelines (16 from 12), there should be a 33% performance increase if you went along the lines of logic. But because of some reasons unknown to me you'll only get about a 20% boost.
July 22, 2006 11:57:00 PM

X1800GTO overclocks better, while the 7600GT is little better at stock. If you're into overclocking, the X1800GTO is a better choice, but if you don't want to overclock, the 7600GT will be better.
August 5, 2006 8:45:35 PM

Hey guys, I have the same question... Both these cards have somewhat Identical prices... But i only want to buy a card to play Battlefield 2142 and Comand & Conquer 3, even though BF2142 isnt out yet, They say it uses the BF2 engine..wich card would you reccomdn for this game?

P.S, I'd get the 7600 GT, but it only has a 128 Bit int. and it is only about 35% faster than the x1800 GTo...wich I assume i can OC the X1800 GTo to bosst it about 10- 20 %
August 5, 2006 10:13:50 PM

well let me shed some light on this matter.

I have owned both cards. picked up the x7600gt on the day it was announced. " goto love nvidia's hard launches". After a month my beloved 7600gt's fan died and it spent some time back in the shop " www.memoryexpress.com" they were kind enough to lend me a x1800gto so i could continue to use my PC. WOW when the time came to get my 7600gt back i went in a purchased a x1800gto.

in BF2 the gto provided a better overall view, I was impressed.

today i picked up another x1800gto so i can run crossfire and can you say WOW.

ill post a review of sorts tomorrow on this adventure
August 5, 2006 10:20:43 PM

Quote:
Hey guys, I have the same question... Both these cards have somewhat Identical prices... But i only want to buy a card to play Battlefield 2142 and Comand & Conquer 3, even though BF2142 isnt out yet, They say it uses the BF2 engine..wich card would you reccomdn for this game?

P.S, I'd get the 7600 GT, but it only has a 128 Bit int. and it is only about 35% faster than the x1800 GTo...wich I assume i can OC the X1800 GTo to bosst it about 10- 20 %


What have you been reading??

The 7600gt and x1800GTO are almost even, if anything i'd say that the x1800gto edges ahead. Want some benchies?
August 6, 2006 5:17:48 AM

i'd but the 7600 right off if it wasnt that its 128 bit , how bad is 128 bitVs 256???(looking towards future games)
August 6, 2006 8:45:24 AM

Quote:
i'd but the 7600 right off if it wasnt that its 128 bit , how bad is 128 bitVs 256???(looking towards future games)


As the 7600gt has such high clock speeds it sorta makes up for the 128bit bus.

If you're looking towards future games get the 7600gt now and upgrade in 6 months (Q1 07) to a DX10 compatible cards, they should be veeeery nice!
August 6, 2006 7:09:18 PM

i got a 2.8 Pentium D Dual core, 1 GB ram, 128 x300 vid card, i dont wanna put too much into this set up, i plan in building a new set up with AMD from the ground up(duh) by early next year...with a 7900 vid card, and BF2142 will be release witin 2 months... so i figures that the 7600 Vid card is better right outta the box and the x1800GTO is better if u overclock it and unlock the pipelines..so it depends if i wanna risk overclocking it or just plug n play(nvidia)

can u guys tell me how to overclock the x1800GTo?? if u do i'd simply buy that one, and how to un lock the pipleines also.

this vidcards are only a quick fix untill next year, so i can play Bf2, bf2142, CNC3 and leave my current pc with a good 'nuff vidcard for it.., but even tho its a quick fix i dont want it to be crappy, my bro uses it for other games that i dunnt really know about lol, but i know the x300 lags.
August 6, 2006 7:47:33 PM

Quote:
i got a 2.8 Pentium D Dual core, 1 GB ram, 128 x300 vid card, i dont wanna put too much into this set up, i plan in building a new set up with AMD from the ground up(duh) by early next year...with a 7900 vid card, and BF2142 will be release witin 2 months... so i figures that the 7600 Vid card is better right outta the box and the x1800GTO is better if u overclock it and unlock the pipelines..so it depends if i wanna risk overclocking it or just plug n play(nvidia)

can u guys tell me how to overclock the x1800GTo?? if u do i'd simply buy that one, and how to un lock the pipleines also.

this vidcards are only a quick fix untill next year, so i can play Bf2, bf2142, CNC3 and leave my current pc with a good 'nuff vidcard for it.., but even tho its a quick fix i dont want it to be crappy, my bro uses it for other games that i dunnt really know about lol, but i know the x300 lags.


Either of those cards will be fine to tide you over till your new build.

I've never used the ATI drivers but i do believe there is an inbuilt overclocking tool that is very easy to use. I know there's one with the nvidia drivers.

Unlocking the pipelines on the x1800gto couldn't be easier to be honest. It's all done on a software level, so no fiddlin round with your brand new graphics card. I think they have a guide on how to do this over at http://www.guru3d.com/

Hope that's of help to you.
August 6, 2006 9:48:40 PM

lets settle this topic of the 7600gt being better out of the box.

In all benchmarks the two cards win as many as they lose.

your looking for a card to play the new BF when it comes out. This game is based of the same engine as BF2.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2006/03/21/bfg_7600_gt...

the 7600gt is factory overclocked, yet it still loses too the x1800gto witch is STOCK.

in the other battles they trade punches with neither card really taking a noticable lead.
August 7, 2006 12:56:53 AM

i have become very intrested in thise "unlocking" capability, because im also looking into a card for around this price range, and i am also gonna pretty much just play BF2 and BF2142, so im personaly stuck between x850xt (has 16 pipes) 7600gt and x1800gto, and im liking the x1800gto unlocking power :)  and its new technology
August 7, 2006 1:49:00 AM

thx for the help guys..
>Edited: would unlocking the 4 pipelines and overclocking using the software void my Warranty?
August 7, 2006 2:19:39 AM

Yep, but not if the manufactorer doesnt know about it.

Take me seriously when I say, not all GTO's if many are capable of remaining stable after the unlock and oc.
August 7, 2006 2:23:11 AM

do you know wich models or manufacturers??
August 7, 2006 2:32:03 AM

which models of the gto may unclock, and will a x1800gto run stable if i just unlock the pipelines?
August 7, 2006 2:36:01 AM

Quote:
which models of the gto may unclock, and will a x1800gto run stable if i just unlock the pipelines?


pretty much yeah.. lol, i was planning on buying this model http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

would this do what i want it to do?
..>16 pipelines, a little OC when the time sees fit (release of 2142)
August 7, 2006 2:55:41 AM

As far as picking colors go, Im more of a green fan, lifetime warranty...mmm

But as i am an Nv fanboy i'd recommend the X1800GTO. Why? It can run HDR + AA giving better image quality. So yes, nv fanboy recommends an ATi.
August 7, 2006 3:11:54 AM

You do realize there are companies that offer lifetime warranties on ATI GPU's .....?
August 7, 2006 3:32:08 AM

All this talk about unlocking pipelines makes me wonder, are there unlockable pipelines on the 7600GT?

Because they're a tad cheaper, and if they're neck and neck, I'd rather get the cheaper one and unlock the pipelines on it.

And would an x850xt be comparable to either card? (out of personal curiosity)
August 7, 2006 4:21:58 AM

Quote:
All this talk about unlocking pipelines makes me wonder, are there unlockable pipelines on the 7600GT?


Simply put; No
August 7, 2006 8:22:09 AM

sorry but the x850 xt PE is a nice card, dont get me wrong but it doesnt have SM 3.0 and runs slower.

due remember this is a 2 year old card " the x850 "

the pipes dont make a difference in this case due to the x1800 gto's newer tech.
August 7, 2006 12:08:22 PM

Quote:
sorry but the x850 xt PE is a nice card, dont get me wrong but it doesnt have SM 3.0 and runs slower.

due remember this is a 2 year old card " the x850 "

the pipes dont make a difference in this case due to the x1800 gto's newer tech.


It doesn't "run slower". In fact, in most benches they are almost equal. The disadvantage to the XT PE, as you mentioned, is the older tech. But, if SM3.0 and HDR in Oblivion don't really matter to you, it'd be a solid budget card if you could find one cheap.
August 7, 2006 3:38:11 PM

Quote:
sorry but the x850 xt PE is a nice card, dont get me wrong but it doesnt have SM 3.0 and runs slower.

due remember this is a 2 year old card " the x850 "

the pipes dont make a difference in this case due to the x1800 gto's newer tech.


It doesn't "run slower". In fact, in most benches they are almost equal. The disadvantage to the XT PE, as you mentioned, is the older tech. But, if SM3.0 and HDR in Oblivion don't really matter to you, it'd be a solid budget card if you could find one cheap.

The X850XT PE is a very safe bet if you just want a stable card that'll run all games very nicely.

Even better is that if you scout around you can find them for as little as $170!
August 7, 2006 4:05:24 PM

yea 170 the same price as the x1800 gto

sorry but the x1800gto eats the x850 xt PE
August 7, 2006 4:07:30 PM

Yeah, I'd only buy an X850XT PE if I needed an AGP solution and/or I could get it for less than $140.
August 7, 2006 7:52:55 PM

Quote:
All this talk about unlocking pipelines makes me wonder, are there unlockable pipelines on the 7600GT?

Because they're a tad cheaper, and if they're neck and neck, I'd rather get the cheaper one and unlock the pipelines on it.

And would an x850xt be comparable to either card? (out of personal curiosity)


no, because the 7600gt is a gpu that has only 12 pipelines, to unlock pipelines u need to have those "lost" pipelines, the x1800gto is an x1800xl i believe that has its pipelines "hidden" or "out of use", if u go and look at an x1800gto2 u can see its 16 pipelines and 500mhz core, just like the x1800gto, but it has 512mb of GDDR3, becasue companies make a card and put a firmware on it that "underclocks" it or they laser cut the pipelines making them there but useless... so yeah, u cant unlock pipelines on 7600gt
August 7, 2006 8:18:43 PM

correction the x1800gto2 is the x1800xt that didnt make the cut.

the x1800gto is the x1800xl that had its pipes locked
August 7, 2006 8:22:19 PM

Quote:
correction the x1800gto2 is the x1800xt that didnt make the cut.

the x1800gto is the x1800xl that had its pipes locked


oh ok, guess i heard wrong
August 7, 2006 9:30:29 PM

Quote:
correction the x1800gto2 is the x1800xt that didnt make the cut.

the x1800gto is the x1800xl that had its pipes locked


Or the x1800gto is an x1800xl that had some non-functioning pipelines.
August 7, 2006 10:09:05 PM

Quote:
correction the x1800gto2 is the x1800xt that didnt make the cut.

the x1800gto is the x1800xl that had its pipes locked


Or the x1800gto is an x1800xl that had some non-functioning pipelines.

id think if there were pipes ther were non-functioning the card wouldnt really run, itd get so confused.. its just an x1800xl that had the pipes locked through the firmware.. i believe
August 7, 2006 10:10:27 PM

Quote:
correction the x1800gto2 is the x1800xt that didnt make the cut.

the x1800gto is the x1800xl that had its pipes locked


Or the x1800gto is an x1800xl that had some non-functioning pipelines.

id think if there were pipes ther were non-functioning the card wouldnt really run, itd get so confused.. its just an x1800xl that had the pipes locked through the firmware.. i believe

As the pipes all function in quads, if one quad has a faulty pipe in it it that quad can be disabled using firmware. Then the card can be sold off as a budget version of the card it was meant to be.
August 7, 2006 10:19:04 PM

Quote:
correction the x1800gto2 is the x1800xt that didnt make the cut.

the x1800gto is the x1800xl that had its pipes locked


Or the x1800gto is an x1800xl that had some non-functioning pipelines.

id think if there were pipes ther were non-functioning the card wouldnt really run, itd get so confused.. its just an x1800xl that had the pipes locked through the firmware.. i believe

As the pipes all function in quads, if one quad has a faulty pipe in it it that quad can be disabled using firmware. Then the card can be sold off as a budget version of the card it was meant to be.

ok.. im happy with that, fits me, sounds logical
August 7, 2006 10:23:08 PM

im wondering, what is the power difference between an x850xt and 7600gt/x1800gto, excluding the technology diferences, im talking BRUTE power
August 9, 2006 12:23:29 PM

Quote:
im wondering, what is the power difference between an x850xt and 7600gt/x1800gto, excluding the technology diferences, im talking BRUTE power

What do you mean 'power difference'? Like how much power they use? Or how fast they are (as in FPS)?
August 9, 2006 8:56:06 PM

Quote:
im wondering, what is the power difference between an x850xt and 7600gt/x1800gto, excluding the technology diferences, im talking BRUTE power

What do you mean 'power difference'? Like how much power they use? Or how fast they are (as in FPS)?

i mean FPS way, like which one is the hemi n all... wasnt very clear sorry, so yeah, between the x850xt and 7600gt, which one is more powerfull? and by how much?
August 10, 2006 12:13:12 PM

Quote:
im wondering, what is the power difference between an x850xt and 7600gt/x1800gto, excluding the technology diferences, im talking BRUTE power

What do you mean 'power difference'? Like how much power they use? Or how fast they are (as in FPS)?

i mean FPS way, like which one is the hemi n all... wasnt very clear sorry, so yeah, between the x850xt and 7600gt, which one is more powerfull? and by how much?
They're about the same. Their 3DMark05 scores are almost identical. In some games, the X850XT PE performs better. In others, the 7600GT. Check out Digit-Life's charts, they're really good:

http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/digest3d/index.html
!