How to remove Active Directory on a single server

Hi, I have a Windows 2000 server with Active Directory installed and this is
the only server in AD. If I change the server to a workgroup, what would
happen to the accounts that are setup in Active Directory? I am having
problem in upgrading to Citrix Presentation Server v 4.0 that would not
install on a domain controller. Since this is the only server and I don't use
Active Directory other than to support Citrix. I would like to change the
server to workgroup instead of AD but like to keep the current user setup.

Can anyone tell me what I might get?

Thanks in advance
Che
3 answers Last reply
More about remove active directory single server

    The user object along with the rest of the AD data is kept in a different
    data store than would be if you moved to a workgroup scenario. You would
    lose all user/group definitions and have to start over.

    "Che" <Che@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, I have a Windows 2000 server with Active Directory installed and this
    > is
    > the only server in AD. If I change the server to a workgroup, what would
    > happen to the accounts that are setup in Active Directory? I am having
    > problem in upgrading to Citrix Presentation Server v 4.0 that would not
    > install on a domain controller. Since this is the only server and I don't
    > use
    > Active Directory other than to support Citrix. I would like to change the
    > server to workgroup instead of AD but like to keep the current user setup.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me what I might get?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > Che

    Thanks Paul, is there a way for me to export the user information from AD so
    that I can reenter them. Also, is there a way to export the group policy
    setting I have made to the domain?

    Thanks
    Che

    "Paul Bergson" wrote:

    > The user object along with the rest of the AD data is kept in a different
    > data store than would be if you moved to a workgroup scenario. You would
    > lose all user/group definitions and have to start over.
    >
    > --
    >

    > Paul Bergson MCT, MCSE, MCSA, CNE, CNA, CCA

    > "Che" <Che@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi, I have a Windows 2000 server with Active Directory installed and this
    > > is
    > > the only server in AD. If I change the server to a workgroup, what would
    > > happen to the accounts that are setup in Active Directory? I am having
    > > problem in upgrading to Citrix Presentation Server v 4.0 that would not
    > > install on a domain controller. Since this is the only server and I don't
    > > use
    > > Active Directory other than to support Citrix. I would like to change the
    > > server to workgroup instead of AD but like to keep the current user setup.
    > >
    > > Can anyone tell me what I might get?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance
    > > Che

    This should output all user objects:
    ldifde -f output.txt -r "(objectClass=User)" -l
    "cn,givenName,Title,SamAccountName"
    -or- net user /domain

    If you are running 2003 you can print all gpo's via the gpo management
    console

    > Thanks Paul, is there a way for me to export the user information from AD
    > so
    > that I can reenter them. Also, is there a way to export the group policy
    > setting I have made to the domain?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Che
    >
    > "Paul Bergson" wrote:
    >
    >> The user object along with the rest of the AD data is kept in a different
    >> data store than would be if you moved to a workgroup scenario. You would
    >> lose all user/group definitions and have to start over.
    >>
    >> --
    >>

    >> Paul Bergson MCT, MCSE, MCSA, CNE, CNA, CCA

    >> rights.
    >>

    >> "Che" <Che@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi, I have a Windows 2000 server with Active Directory installed and
    >> > this
    >> > is
    >> > the only server in AD. If I change the server to a workgroup, what
    >> > would
    >> > happen to the accounts that are setup in Active Directory? I am having
    >> > problem in upgrading to Citrix Presentation Server v 4.0 that would not
    >> > install on a domain controller. Since this is the only server and I
    >> > don't
    >> > use
    >> > Active Directory other than to support Citrix. I would like to change
    >> > the
    >> > server to workgroup instead of AD but like to keep the current user
    >> > setup.
    >> >
    >> > Can anyone tell me what I might get?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks in advance
    >> > Che