Missing "Safely Remove Hardware Icon"

I run XP Home on a Dell Dimension 4400 P4 machine. I
have an external USB 2.0 Maxtor hard drive attached.
Occasionally the "Safely Remove Hardware" Icon is missing
from the notification area. When I check on it in the
Taskbar Properties (Customize) list, it is listed
under "Past Items" even when Windows recognizes the
external hard drive. Is there a way to bring it back
into "Current Items" and get it to display in the
notification area?
2 answers Last reply
More about missing safely remove hardware icon

    Right click on the Start button and select the Taskbar tab. Uncheck "Hide
    inactive icons."

    "Fred Hoffman" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I run XP Home on a Dell Dimension 4400 P4 machine. I
    > have an external USB 2.0 Maxtor hard drive attached.
    > Occasionally the "Safely Remove Hardware" Icon is missing
    > from the notification area. When I check on it in the
    > Taskbar Properties (Customize) list, it is listed
    > under "Past Items" even when Windows recognizes the
    > external hard drive. Is there a way to bring it back
    > into "Current Items" and get it to display in the
    > notification area?
  2. Quote:

    I run XP Home on a Dell Dimension 4400 P4 machine. I
    have an external USB 2.0 Maxtor hard drive attached.
    Occasionally the "Safely Remove Hardware" Icon is missing
    from the notification area. When I check on it in the
    Taskbar Properties (Customize) list, it is listed
    under "Past Items" even when Windows recognizes the
    external hard drive. Is there a way to bring it back
    into "Current Items" and get it to display in the
    notification area?

Hardware Windows XP