Missing "Safely Remove Hardware Icon"

I run XP Home on a Dell Dimension 4400 P4 machine. I
have an external USB 2.0 Maxtor hard drive attached.
Occasionally the "Safely Remove Hardware" Icon is missing
from the notification area. When I check on it in the
Taskbar Properties (Customize) list, it is listed
under "Past Items" even when Windows recognizes the
external hard drive. Is there a way to bring it back
into "Current Items" and get it to display in the
notification area?

Right click on the Start button and select the Taskbar tab. Uncheck "Hide
inactive icons."

"Fred Hoffman" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I run XP Home on a Dell Dimension 4400 P4 machine. I
> have an external USB 2.0 Maxtor hard drive attached.
> Occasionally the "Safely Remove Hardware" Icon is missing
> from the notification area. When I check on it in the
> Taskbar Properties (Customize) list, it is listed
> under "Past Items" even when Windows recognizes the
> external hard drive. Is there a way to bring it back
> into "Current Items" and get it to display in the
> notification area?

rlecoz

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011