buying parts in stages...what to buy now

mickeddie

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
With the cost of Conroe build I want to buy parts over a few months. My concern is if something does not work and I need to return/exchange it, I most likely would only have a month to return something. I already bought my case as I figure that is pretty much guaranteed that it will not have to go back. I was thinking of ebay for RAM and video card so I can buy those anytime. I have optical drives and hard drives from my current system to use.

So that leaves CPU (with heatsink), mobo, and PSU. Would it be a safe bet to buy the CPU next? What are the chances of getting a faulty cpu compared to the chance of a mobo, psu, or heatsink being faulty?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts/suggestions.

pat

Expert
With the cost of Conroe build I want to buy parts over a few months. My concern is if something does not work and I need to return/exchange it, I most likely would only have a month to return something. I already bought my case as I figure that is pretty much guaranteed that it will not have to go back. I was thinking of ebay for RAM and video card so I can buy those anytime. I have optical drives and hard drives from my current system to use.

So that leaves CPU (with heatsink), mobo, and PSU. Would it be a safe bet to buy the CPU next? What are the chances of getting a faulty cpu compared to the chance of a mobo, psu, or heatsink being faulty?

the 200$ motherboard youll get today will be at 175$ in one month..same for RAM ..

just save your money until ready to buy, then get everything. You'll get better value for your money

mickeddie

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004

the 200$ motherboard youll get today will be at 175$ in one month..same for RAM ..

just save your money until ready to buy, then get everything. You'll get better value for your money

How about the CPU? What is your opinion on me buying my e6600 this week or next which will save me $350 when I buy the rest?

pat

Expert

How about the CPU? What is your opinion on me buying my e6600 this week or next which will save me $350 when I buy the rest?

You can order it this week, but won't have it until available, so wait, when everything you'll need will be available, just buy everything

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
As said before, you're better off waiting. The very nature of PC parts means prices will drop. Buying right off the bat means paying the initial high price for the CPU and it may even be in low availability, which in turn drives up the price even more...

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
There is also something else to consider. The AMD 4x4 and quadcore as well as the Intel quad core are supposed to surface this year. You'd have to think that when that happens it will create price drops for dual core processors.

The new videocards - Nvidia's g80 and g90 and ATI's 570 - 600 - will also start trickling out later this year.

Mondoman

Splendid
Shouldn't be any problem with buying a good PS whenever you can get a good deal on one.
When you buy the RAM, be sure to get good-quality RAM, definitely not generic.
CPUs and MBs will not go up in price, and may go down in your time frame, so wait on those.
RAM will most likely be steady (recent reports indicate that the RAM market is firming up and prices may even go up a bit).
As noted above, video card prices could very well drop during that time, as video card generations are quite short.

mickeddie

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
Shouldn't be any problem with buying a good PS whenever you can get a good deal on one..

I found the Antec Neo HE 550w for under $100 with shipping and ordered it but cancelled it as my concern is if it should be defective and not work it would be long after the purchase date to exchange it. I guess I could plug it into an outlet and see if the fan spins.