How do I turn on a PSU without the MOBO switch?

wnds21

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2006
How do I turn on a PSU without the MOBO switch?

I've done it before, I DID know how to do it once. There's just a short you have to make on the ATX connector. But which two wires do I short? I can't remember. I learned it in some distant forum somewhere.

earnhardt2

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
The easiest way to short the two wires is to take a paperclip and bend it and then insert the two ends into the holes for the black and the green wires. It should then start up, and then you can remove the paperclip.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Uplug power and flip PSU switch off if it has one. Looking at the motherboard power supply either 20 pin or 20+4 pin. Using a wire, connect the green (should only be one on either 20 pin or 20+4 pin power connector) and connect it to the black wire ( there are several wires but any one of them will work).

So you have connect the green (switch) and black (ground). Now plug the power and flip the switch and it should run on itself.

Remember you can only run a PSU with no load for only couple of seconds because it's no good for it. So aviod running the PSU by itself without any components connected to it. But connecting a water cooling pump or hd and medias should be fine while running.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Uplug power and flip PSU switch off if it has one. Looking at the motherboard power supply either 20 pin or 20+4 pin. Using a wire, connect the green (should only be one on either 20 pin or 20+4 pin power connector) and connect it to the black wire ( there are several wires but any one of them will work).

So you have connect the green (switch) and black (ground). Now plug the power and flip the switch and it should run on itself.

Remember you can only run a PSU with no load for only couple of seconds because it's no good for it. So aviod running the PSU by itself without any components connected to it. But connecting a water cooling pump or hd and medias should be fine while running.

already been answered and the author has already done it chuck...just a bit slow.