Automatic expiry of a distribution group.

Hi,

I want to setup a distribution group that will expire automatically
after a specified time.

ideally, i also want to be able to modify that time, but the primary
problem is making a group expire after a specified lifetime.

What is the use of optional attribute expirationTime in AD.
it does not seem to be doing anything.

any alternate methods to achieve the same goal are also welcome.

Regards,

mohit vaish

By default, there isn't an expirationTime attribute ... your schema has
been extended.

Re: auto expiring a DL; not really I'm afraid. 2K3 supports the content
of dynamic objects which self terminate after a specified period of time
which may suffice but it's a strong-armed approach. You could also
script emptying the DLs membership ... outside of that, may I ask why
you want it to "expire"? I ask as I'm uncertain of your goal since DLs
are passive in that they do nothing by themselves ...

--
Dean Wells [MVP / Directory Services]
MSEtechnology

mohitvaish@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to setup a distribution group that will expire automatically
> after a specified time.
>
> ideally, i also want to be able to modify that time, but the primary
> problem is making a group expire after a specified lifetime.
>
> What is the use of optional attribute expirationTime in AD.
> it does not seem to be doing anything.
>
> any alternate methods to achieve the same goal are also welcome.
>

> Regards,
>
> mohit vaish

My apologies, spell-checkers don't always help! :eek:)

2nd paragraph should begin -

"Re: auto expiring a DL; not really I'm afraid. 2K3 supports the
**concept** of dynamic objects which self terminate after a specified
...."

--

Dean Wells [MVP] wrote:
> By default, there isn't an expirationTime attribute ... your schema
> has been extended.
>
> Re: auto expiring a DL; not really I'm afraid. 2K3 supports the
> content of dynamic objects which self terminate after a specified
> period of time which may suffice but it's a strong-armed approach.
> You could also script emptying the DLs membership ... outside of
> that, may I ask why you want it to "expire"? I ask as I'm uncertain
> of your goal since DLs are passive in that they do nothing by
> themselves ...
>
> mohitvaish@gmail.com wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I want to setup a distribution group that will expire automatically
>> after a specified time.
>>
>> ideally, i also want to be able to modify that time, but the primary
>> problem is making a group expire after a specified lifetime.
>>
>> What is the use of optional attribute expirationTime in AD.
>> it does not seem to be doing anything.
>>
>> any alternate methods to achieve the same goal are also welcome.
>>

>> Regards,
>>
>> mohit vaish

TRENDING THREADS