Trying to restore domain controller for disaster recovery test.
Have another box not identical to original DC.
Steps taken and end result..
1. Backup with Veritas BU EXEC, Unitrends DPU
2. Installed Base W2K Server, named Identical, set up NIC and AD, etc...
3. Rebooted to AD Recovery safe mode
4. Restored System State with NT Backup
5. Restored master file backup from Unitrends
6. Rebooted to normal mode
7. Extremely slow boot process but after 20 minuted get to logon screen
8. Able to logon as domain admin
9. active directory seems to be there and AD sites are set up identical to
live server
10. unable to view ad group policies
11. when trying to log on from workstation get..."logon server not available"

any suggestions...dns seems to be working....

Tried the same with veritas with identical results

thanks

I doubt that DNS is working from what you describe. I'm betting it is
sitting at the start up "Establishing Network Connections." When you
restored the server from backup make sure the dns client address is pointing
to the proper dns server.

If it is correct then try running dcdiag. Look for fail, error and warning
errors.

If you don't have the tools installed load them from your install disk.

d:\i386\adminpak.msi (Server tools for remote management of servers)
d:\support\tools\setup.exe (Server Utilities)

Copy the following to a cmd file and run look for error, fail and warn
within the reports. Post any errors you can't figure out. make sure you
modify DC_Name to the name of a dc in your domain.

@echo off

c:
cd \
cd "program files\support tools"

del c:\dcdiag.log
dcdiag /e /c /v /s:DC_Name /f:c:\dcdiag.log
start c:\dcdiag.log