Thermaltake vs DangerDen

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
Danger Den uses better equiptment. It also uses 1/2 ID (for a higher flowrate) The Bigwater pump pushes liquid at 105gh while the Mag pump from Danger Den is 150gh.

The Bigwater, however, does give you the equivalent of 3 120mm rads (a single and a dual) where the DD kit only offers a single 120mm rad. The DD kit is totally internalized whereas the Big water will have you with a dual 120 rad sitting outside your case.

It can be a question of how you are about watercooling. What you will find, if you think you will stay with it, is that DIY (do it yourself) is the way you will eventually go as your cooling solution expands and changes. In this scenario, the DD kit is more beneficial (because of it's superior quality). Danger Den is universally respected as producing quality watercooling products and are interchangeable with most any other brand of 1/2 ID cooling products. But, the Bigwater kit will probably cool better for you now. Better cooling immediately then it's Bigwater, future proofing for upgradeability then it's the DD kit.

You should check on ebay as the Bigwater kit is, by far, the most frequently auctioned kit of any. You might could get it cheaper there.

testbenchdude

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Danger Den uses better equiptment. It also uses 1/2 ID (for a higher flowrate) The Bigwater pump pushes liquid at 105gh while the Mag pump from Danger Den is 150gh.

The Bigwater, however, does give you the equivalent of 3 120mm rads (a single and a dual) where the DD kit only offers a single 120mm rad. The DD kit is totally internalized whereas the Big water will have you with a dual 120 rad sitting outside your case.

It can be a question of how you are about watercooling. What you will find, if you think you will stay with it, is that DIY (do it yourself) is the way you will eventually go as your cooling solution expands and changes. In this scenario, the DD kit is more beneficial (because of it's superior quality). Danger Den is universally respected as producing quality watercooling products and are interchangeable with most any other brand of 1/2 ID cooling products. But, the Bigwater kit will probably cool better for you now. Better cooling immediately then it's Bigwater, future proofing for upgradeability then it's the DD kit.

You should check on ebay as the Bigwater kit is, by far, the most frequently auctioned kit of any. You might could get it cheaper there.

How ironic is this. I just bought the DD Maze4 Power Kit, just like the one mentioned above, and I gotta say that I'm not too impressed with the quality of the package. Everything was individually wrapped and nothing was broken, but the water block for the CPU is tarnished on the sides (I know that doesn't really matter) and there are two pieces of tape covering the contact side which do not meet in the middle, leaving about a 1/8th inch strip of tarnish on the bottom of the block. Plus, the inside (which you can plainly see through the acrylic top) looks like it's full of crud, but that may be more tarnish on the inside of the block. The surface of the block isn't even lapped, which quite frankly I was suprised to find out.

Also, the kit supplies you with one tiny bottle of coolant (about 6oz I think, it doesn't say) and that's not even enough to fill the resevoir--it would have been nice if the kit either included enough fluid or stated that you will need to buy additional fluid on the outside of the box.

The radiator is painted black but some of the paint is chipped off of several fins (a small detail, but would preclude mounting anywhere visible on a custom rig) and there is no CPU block mounting plate for the back of the motherboard where as the DVD clearly shows one.

And speaking of the DVD, it's nice and all to be shown how to install a water cooling kit, but first of all, it shows a different kit being installed, and second, I'm lucky I have multiple ways to watch DVDs besides the computer I'm about to tear down to parade rest to install the kit.

--All that having been said--

I've heard too many great things about DD to be totally dissuaded from buying from them again so I'm going to return this kit for another and see how it looks. I read a review in MaxPC (I think) that compared a DD kit and a Gigabyte kit, and the worst thing they had to say about the Gigabyte kit was that the hose clamps were inadequate which resulted in leeks. So that right there is enough for me to steer clear of Gigabyte kits.

Just my thoughts, mind you.

testbenchdude

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I thought the liquid they included was a concentrate? Like 6 oz bottle of that stuff to 1 gallon of water?

You know what? You're right. It's printed right there on the bottle--my mistake. Coolant to distilled water ratio of 5% to 95%.

Nitro350Z

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
the coolant is suppose to be used 5% coolant 95% distilled water.

Also, alot of people recomend cleaning all the parts in distilled water before installing them in your WC loop. This removes all the excess and loose filings/dust and other contaminents in the parts.

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
I suppose I should have qualified what I said so as to not sound like a fanboy about Danger Den. The products I use from Danger Den have always served me well. In my watercooling system, I use (2) dual 120mm Black Ice Extreme Rads, a Koosah for my GPU, a Maze4 chipset waterblock for my northbridge and an Aqua-Drive for my (2) Raptors. This equiptment has performed for my excellently. I've long since stopped buying premade waterkits but that is only because I've been watercooling for a few years now and have found that, if you stick with watercooling as your cooling method of choice, invariably, you'll end up in the DIY category as you mix and match components as I have.

When you do move in the DIY category, you'll learn two things: (1) No one company offers a solution for all your needs (2) You'll wish those damn Europeans would stop using 1/4 id stuff and switch over to 1/2 ID junk because they make some great stuff.

Some of my components, I have actually bought from Europe, mostly special plugs and adapters. Alphacool and Aquacomputers, to me, make the best watercooling stuff in Europe - still a tad behind us here in in the U.S. in terms of total products but, excellent crafstmanship and a few thigns we don't have (like g1/4 elbow for 1/2 ID tubing - metal).

Buying from Europe is costly because of the freight charges though. I just purchased 8 g1/4 metallic elbow for 1/2 id tubing and they cost me $86 (more than half of which was postage). But, sometimes you just need that one peice to fix somehting in your system and you just have to get it at any cost. For anyone interested, two excellent European stores I deal with who have really fast shipping are:

KustomPCs (in England)
http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/

and

AlphacoolGmbH (in Germany)
http://www.alphacool.de/xt/index.php/cPath/5/category/water-cooling.html

be prepared to pay an arm and a leg because of shipping. What's funny also is that their prices are in Euros so I had no idea what I was paying for awhile until I learned how to convert the currency.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
There are only 2 real advantages to the danger den over the thermaltake.

1. Easy to add or switch out components.

2. 1/2" tubing.

Other than that the thermaltake at that price is a better value for performance.

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
I like to think that Danger Den also has the advantage of more specialized components like their HDD cooler, GPU waterblocks (with ram and voltage regulator cooling) and a better choice of reservoirs.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
That's true but you can add those into any loop, including the thermaltake one. The pump that comes with that particular dd kit is not that great, if it was the D5 then it could handle anything but that mag II pump is not that much better than the thermaltake one.

You may have to deal with tubing size conversions but there are other makers that have some nice stuff in 3/8" as well.

Remember, we aren't talking about our dream DD water cooling set up. We are comparing those two kits.

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
This is true. I've always said that anyone who does get into watercooling and stays with it as their cooling solution will, ultimately, end up in the DIY category. I've parts from Alphacool, Aqua Computers, Danger Den, Swiftech, Angel Eye, Polar Flo, Meanwell (for the peltier) and my own custom mods - and I started out with Coolermaster Aquagate Mini R80 as my first ever experience with watercooling.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
I agree with you. I also looked at prebuilt systems and the performance for most left me wanting. With how hot my gpus get under load (not to mention the OC), I knew that a half assed prebuilt wouldn't work. After a lot more research I knew I what I wanted in terms of the water blocks and reservoir, this pretty much decided how powerful the pump had to be. To begin with I had a mix of DD, Swiftech and Thermaltake (reservoir) but I didn't like that reservoir and ended up changing it for an alphacool one.

Once I start watercooling my HTPC I'll probably end up as many different makers as you have.

RichPLS

Champion
I have the BigWater 745 system and assure you it is very good quality components and looks quite polished and designed too.
And at $145, I believe it to be the de facto standard for water cooling kits...