Yanking Power Cord From Back of PSU While COMP Running

J1GGZ

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2006
My computer got infected with this spyware. Yadda Yadda it spreaded 500 spyware/trojan/etc files on my machine. I tried to delete it but I said f*ck it I'm going to format. So I was trying to restart and my computer crashed, so I yanked the powercord out of my power supply. I tried to plug it in again but my computer wont turn on period.

My case is a standard DELL case. When I plug the power cord to the back of my PSU the amber (orange) light shows at the front of my case but when I push the button to boot the machine it just stays amber.

All the motherboard wires are connected and everything is normal. This PSU is 600W and is farely new (i was dumb enuff to toss away the receipt) but I'm just curious. Is this a PSU problem or is there a way I burnt out my motherboard as well?

It has nothing to do with my devices. It happened when I yanked the powercord out of the back of my PSU while it was running. The PSU powers the amber light at the front, but the unit itself wont power up. what do you think?

maury73

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
I think you could have fried your mobo or PSU: power led is powered from 5V rail, but all logic is powered by 3.3V and 12V (through DC-DC converters) so the amber LED lit doesn't man that your PSU is good.
I suggest you try your PSU with another mobo.

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
600w.....in a dell....

Dell case, new PSU. What's your point?

IRT topic, yeah, if it won't power up there is little to do but to test the stuff in another machine. Either put the PS in another box, or try another PS in this machine. You could try testing the PS, but most people don't have the equipment to test a PS just laying around, so best to just test the stuff in another machine.

I've pulled the power cord on machines before, and in fact I do it often if the PS has no power switch, but typically speaking for future reference, if you hold the power switch in for several seconds it will power the machine off.

J1GGZ

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2006
so all in all its unlikely i fried my entire computer. If I buy a new PSU and it still wont boot then its my motherboard? in most cases (providing all the wiring is proper)

yeah i bought a p4 3.6 single core with HT
and the damn PSU didnt have PCIe
so it had the onboard graphics and i bought a vidcard
do i bought an alienware or something. it has a ufo on the back with led lights

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
No. You can't say for sure what the problem is until you test it, so regardless what it appears on the surface, and what other people ^ say, there is no way to know what has happened until you test it.

holcar

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
why would you yank the cord 8O

hold the power switch for like 3 seconds has the same effect and its easier?

Suppose youd maybe want to yank it if something was smoking etc ;p

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Because its very annoying having to hold the button to ask your computer politely if it would please find the time to turn itself off now when you are pissed at it :D

*remembers fondly the days where the power button cut the damn power*

MrCommunistGen

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
Suppose youd maybe want to yank it if something was smoking etc ;p
Thats happened to me before. It was an old server I had found in a shed. I hooked it up, it started booting, and my friend was like: "Is it supposed to be smoking like that?" I bolted to the back of the case and was going to flip the PSU switch only to find it didnt have one... I completely freaked for about half a second before I just yanked the power cord. Surprisingly after the smoke cleared it still ran fine.

-mcg