Sign in with
Your question

sad guy from Canada

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 22, 2006 9:55:59 PM

Hey guys, I want to upgrade my vid card, I went on newegg like everybody usually does, checkout out the prices, found my baby, and then I was shocked to learn that they don't ship here in Canada. Yes, I know, there are some other online retailers like NCIX and I browsed like 5 others. Nobody beats newegg prices, so I'm calling out if anybody knows a great deal for any 256 MB GDDR3 256-bit AGP card out there, and which I would be able to get my hands on cuz I need to switch this card badly. I was aiming for 150$ or about. Thx in advance. :) 

More about : sad guy canada

July 22, 2006 11:22:42 PM

Off the top of my head isn't ATI the only company that uses GDDR3 memory on their cards? (As opposed to nVidia)
July 22, 2006 11:51:50 PM

Quote:
Off the top of my head isn't ATI the only company that uses GDDR3 memory on their cards? (As opposed to nVidia)

Nope, Nvidia does it too.

Thx Sam1, I already had my eye on that one, was just a little bit frisky to the whole refurbished idea. anybody else?
July 22, 2006 11:52:01 PM

Nearly all current Nvidia and ATI cards use GDDR3.
July 22, 2006 11:52:37 PM

Ahhh my mistake
July 23, 2006 2:13:05 AM

That is by far the best deal you can get on an AGP card in Canada. Don't waste your time looking anywere else.
July 23, 2006 2:48:32 AM

Already wasted my time on newegg, drooling on all the good deals.. But seriously, nobody has fears toward refurbished stuff?
July 23, 2006 4:19:47 AM

Well it's ATI themselves, plus it comes with a one-year warranty... that's standard for computer parts.
July 23, 2006 4:44:50 AM

Defintely go with a card from the ati refurb bin, they come with mininium 1 year warranties, and the prices i heard are suppose to be great.
July 23, 2006 4:48:38 AM

For refurbs, it all depends on WHO does the refurbishment. If the original manufacturer is the one, then you should be able to trust it. A one year warranty on refurbs is very good.

As for newegg, etc, if you guys would just petition Congress to enter the Union as new states, you could get all the cheap computer stuff you wanted! :twisted:
July 23, 2006 11:09:44 AM

:lol:  I don't think it's a political problem cuz other online retailers are based in US and do ship here. I just wonder what would be the cost after the shipping and the borders cost. Maybe it's just not worth it for them right now, but I did heard some rumors about newegg getting ready to launch either a canadian site or allowing shpping here. Oh ya, one last thing, what would you choose between the x850 pro for 160 and the x800xl for 140 ? Thanks again :D 
a b U Graphics card
July 23, 2006 4:01:45 PM

Quote:

As for newegg, etc, if you guys would just petition Congress to enter the Union as new states, you could get all the cheap computer stuff you wanted! :twisted:

Nah, we're just waiting for you guys to go bankrupt, and then we're gonna buy the good states with our oil money.
July 23, 2006 5:20:59 PM

Quote:
256 MB GDDR3 256-bit AGP card out there, and which I would be able to get my hands on cuz I need to switch this card badly. I was aiming for 150$ or about. Thx in advance

Dude! Hey, come on! You have ATI over there, no?

Check out this: Radeon® X850 Pro 256MB AGP -- 139.00 bucks...
a b U Graphics card
July 23, 2006 5:30:38 PM

I bought the AGP X800XL refurb. Can't beat it for the money. Got all the cables/adaptors, even the manual and install CD. I place Newegg orders almost weekly, but Newegg doesn't come close to matching those shop ATI AGP deals right now. (X850 pro or X800XL)
July 23, 2006 6:59:27 PM

Quote:

This is the US ATI, go to Canada ATI for comparaison, yes, it's 20$ more expensive for some reason.
a b U Graphics card
July 23, 2006 7:10:34 PM

Quote:

This is the US ATI, go to Canada ATI for comparaison, yes, it's 20$ more expensive for some reason.
exchange rates. $139 American dollars = $157.45 Canadian dollars right now. Basically the same cost for both of us.
a b U Graphics card
July 23, 2006 7:25:29 PM

I just want to know if they'll take Canadian Tire Money? :mrgreen:

(Canadian joke) :wink:

Oh yeah, PS, the ATi store deals are great deals, he should listen to ya'.
a b U Graphics card
July 23, 2006 7:49:13 PM

I didn't get the Canadian joke, but I must say that a X800XL would have been a nice 9600 pro replacement for for a big purple ape I know. You gave the GA-7VAXP away didn't you?
a b U Graphics card
July 23, 2006 7:56:30 PM

Actually parted everything but the HD out (got an external USB/Firewire housing for it), but I'm moving to all laptop, more room, better resale value, and they are dang powerful (just saw my first hands on Turion X2 at Best Buy yesterday, and ran my fingers over the HD-DVD Quosmio again saying "If only you were a gateway". 8)

BTW, the Canadian Tire Joke is about our nationwide hardware chain that's similar to but bigger than ACE in the states. They have their own money (like a rebate), very big part of Canadian culture, like Tim Horton's;

http://www2.canadiantire.ca/CTenglish/ctmoney.html
July 23, 2006 8:27:28 PM

OK, we all seem to agree about ATI great deals. Last thing, Should i wait for x850 pro availability or it's not worth it? Else, I'd go with the x800xl.
a b U Graphics card
July 23, 2006 9:37:30 PM

X850 pro is a 12-pipe card with higher clock speeds than the 16-pipe X800XL. At stock speeds, they are pretty equal with the X800XL winning more than 50% of the time. Anyway, while stock speeds slightly favor the XL, overclocking favors the X850 (R480 core vs R430 core for the XL). Also, The X850 pro is a VIVO card, so having video inputs may or not be worth anything to you. Lastly, the X850pro vivo is known to successfully unlock to 16 pipes when flashed with a X850XT bios. However, don't count on that happening for sure, rather look at it as a bonus if you luck out. I ordered the X850 pro many weeks ago but then later ordered the XL when it too had free shipping. I cancelled the X850 pro order after receiving the XL and making sure all was fine. If priced the same and both in stock I'd buy the X850 pro, but only because I'd be willing to OC it and also try the bios flash. If you will leave the cards at theri stock settings buy the XL.
a b U Graphics card
July 23, 2006 10:34:50 PM

Hey I wish I could grab a nice gaming laptop too. Wouldn't have to be a battery sucking beast, just a decent mainstream gamer. If it's ever a possibility, I'll be PM'in you for advice as I pay little attention to laptops. But I'd never be able to live with only a laptop. Half the fun of computers for me is tinkering with their guts, doing upgrades, swapping parts, comparison testing, etc.

Thx for giving me a clue. So, do you get tire money for your birthday?
a b U Graphics card
July 24, 2006 3:28:36 AM

Quote:
Hey I wish I could grab a nice gaming laptop too. Wouldn't have to be a battery sucking beast, just a decent mainstream gamer. If it's ever a possibility, I'll be PM'in you for advice as I pay little attention to laptops.

And look at the new CoreDuo2 Conroes, their power consumption as a desktop part is in the realm for current laptop parts and well below the desktop replacements that they'd just destroy! LOVIN' what the future looks to bring me this fall, true CPU power for my editing (yes it's a bit painful returning to single proc @ 1.73ghz that runs slower than that crummy dell (the 2.8ghz HT was good for video & audio even if it ate batteries like Mentos, I had/have a 100WHr battery pad so not too bad, but a hassle on flights compared to my 'free' spare from FutureShop :lol:  ). Add that to something like an X1900GT in mobile form for you or probably preferably for me an X1650/1700 for me (I just need Oblivion with HDR for now, along with AVIVO + HD-DVD). The annoying part just as I'm going fo a slight boost in graphics power I want to get the 1920x1200 17" for that HD-DVD, so likely even with an X1900XT no 'native gaming' with HDR in Oblvion, and likely not in any newer game, but hey that's was the HDTV is for 8) . Sure I 'might wait for a DX10 mobile solution if they're right around the corner especially if there's rumours of M$ extending a 'free upgrade' to vista like they did for XP last time, but I don't want to wait too long. And it needs to be a form factor as great for me as this Gateway (love it on the plane, love the full-sized keyboard, yet way WAY sleeker/smaller/'perfect-fit' than the DELL, and unfortunately Lenovo has killed the Tpad IMO, the one's I've seen recently have not trackpoint, I have to check the Computer Store in T.O. when I fly out in the summer, cause they have almost the whole line in hands-on form. I lover the old Tpads.

Quote:
But I'd never be able to live with only a laptop. Half the fun of computers for me is tinkering with their guts, doing upgrades, swapping parts, comparison testing, etc.

Yep, I know it's the only thing I miss, I used to love doing things like run HL2, Fear Demo, 3DMrk, etc with tweaked settings, overclock, underclock, etc. I can still overclock and underclock, and if I'm will to hassle, I could always swap in some smaller memory, but with laptops it's not the same because you do feel like you're risking everything each time you change a setting drastically.

Quote:
Thx for giving me a clue. So, do you get tire money for your birthday?

Nah, but I do give my dad most of my Canadian tire money to my dad, I'm thinking about in an Xmas card this year (should be about $50+). I tell you though with gas prices, looking at that stuff and thinking, hey that's a whole tank of gas, is a little tempting. :?
!