Are multi purpose printers good at printing photos?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
May 19, 2005 1:40:02 AM

Are multi purpose printers such as those that can (scan, copy, fax,
print) still good at printing a photo from a digital camera file or is
it better to buy a photo printer?

Regards Brian
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 1:40:03 AM

Always better to buy separates and get the best of breed.

Brian wrote:

>Are multi purpose printers such as those that can (scan, copy, fax,
>print) still good at printing a photo from a digital camera file or is
>it better to buy a photo printer?
>
>Regards Brian

May 19, 2005 1:40:04 AM

> Always better to buy separates and get the best of breed.

Not always so - the Epson RX500/RX600 use the same print engine as the
R200/R300 - you'll get the same quality from one of those.

Si.
May 19, 2005 1:40:05 AM

Si wrote:

>>Brian wrote:
>>

>>>Are multi purpose printers such as those that can (scan, copy, fax,
>>>print) still good at printing a photo from a digital camera file or is
>>>it better to buy a photo printer?
>>>
>>>Regards Brian

>>Always better to buy separates and get the best of breed.
>>

>Not always so - the Epson RX500/RX600 use the same print engine as the
>R200/R300 - you'll get the same quality from one of those.
>
>Si.

When the printer goes you have a very large scanner and a dead weight.

May 19, 2005 1:40:06 AM

> Si wrote:

> >"measekite" <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >

> >>Always better to buy separates and get the best of breed.
> >>

> >Not always so - the Epson RX500/RX600 use the same print engine as the
> >R200/R300 - you'll get the same quality from one of those.
> >
> >Si.
> >

> When the printer goes you have a very large scanner and a dead weight.

Not disputing that, however the question is as per the subject. How good are
they at printing photo's.

The RX500 and RX600 will be as good as the R200 and R300.

Si.
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 2:19:03 AM

The Canon MP750, MP760 and MP780 all have the same printing characteristics
as the iP4000. The model differences come from the other features such as
faxing.

Ron

"Si" <dontbother@spammingthis.address> wrote in message
news:D 6g8ea$rrr$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk...

> "measekite" <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> >"measekite" <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> >Not always so - the Epson RX500/RX600 use the same print engine as the
>> >R200/R300 - you'll get the same quality from one of those.
>> >
>> >Si.
>> >

>> When the printer goes you have a very large scanner and a dead weight.
>
> Not disputing that, however the question is as per the subject. How good
> are
> they at printing photo's.
>
> The RX500 and RX600 will be as good as the R200 and R300.
>
> Si.

Anonymous
May 19, 2005 3:46:18 AM

I have an MP780 and find it prints photos extremely well. It is every
bit as good at printing photos as our iP4000 and seems to be a tad
quicker too.

Ron Cohen wrote:
> The Canon MP750, MP760 and MP780 all have the same printing characteristics
> as the iP4000. The model differences come from the other features such as
> faxing.
>
> Ron
>
> "Si" <dontbother@spammingthis.address> wrote in message
> news:D 6g8ea$rrr$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk...
>
>>"measekite" <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>>When the printer goes you have a very large scanner and a dead weight.
>>
>>Not disputing that, however the question is as per the subject. How good
>>are
>>they at printing photo's.
>>
>>The RX500 and RX600 will be as good as the R200 and R300.
>>
>>Si.

Anonymous
May 19, 2005 3:47:12 AM

On Wed, 18 May 2005 21:40:02 +1200, Brian <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote:

>Are multi purpose printers such as those that can (scan, copy, fax,
>print) still good at printing a photo from a digital camera file or is
>it better to buy a photo printer?
>
>Regards Brian

No. Yes.

--

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com

Yes. My Epson RX500 does as good of a job as my prior 925, and the
prints are spectacular with prints coming out even faster!

As for the reliability of scanners and printers, keep in mind that both
PC Magazine and PC World online have their 2004 User Reliability surveys
which show that all-in-one printers do work quite well and have low
repair occurances.

As for the dead-weight when one part goes, doesn't matter if it is an
all-in-one or not. Either way, if the printing part goes, you still
wind up with dead-weight.

As for cost, it's marginally higher. eg. the RX500 blew out on
clearance everywhere for <$150 (www.fatwallet.com/c/18/ prior threads)
and was an excellent deal vs. a new photo printer at $50-100 if you
wanted a more compact unit.

For me, it was great! Cleared up a significant amount of desk space,
scans better and faster than my prior Epson 1200S, has more features,
and works better than the two standalone Epsons I had earlier.

Highly recommended - Epson all-in-one 6+ color printer/scanner/copier units.

---

Another guy here has been running a Canon all-in-one with
scanning/copying/fax, and it's been flawless for years as well.

I'd say that the makers (Canon/Epson/HP) have all reached the point
where they can make a solid all-in-one that does everything well w/o any
limitations of older models.

Besides, with most places offering full money-back return policies, why
don't you start off with one of the recommended units, and play for a
week or two? It's the best way to settle in and see if they're good enough.
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 11:24:06 AM

"Michael Johnson, PE" <cds@erols.com> wrote in message
> measekite wrote:

>> I bought 2 separate devices and I can do all that you do.
>
> The typical price for an iP4000, which is the nearest equivalent for the
> MP780 printer function, is $120-$140 so say $130. I'm not familiar with
> prices for scanners that can document feed 35+ sheets but my guess is one
> with the same quality level of the MP780's would run $150-$200+. This
> means you'll probably need to spend around $300 for the pair. I just
> don't see the need to pay more money for less capability and convenience.
> To each his own, I suppose.

To some, time is the most compelling reason...
But in my case, the time involved in training the "Tech challenged family"
is the real wean-err :-D

--
NoBS_Here is legal tender at Hot Mail
Repeal "_TAXES" to reply

Multi-purpose units excel at nothing. At best, they are adequate.
Photo printers are just marketing hype.
Get a good scanner ... Hewlett Packard.
Get a good priner ... HP, Epson, Canon (in that order).
Combined with Windows built-in fax capability that'll
cover all your needs superbly.

"Brian" <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote in message
> Are multi purpose printers such as those that can (scan, copy, fax,
> print) still good at printing a photo from a digital camera file or is
> it better to buy a photo printer?
>
> Regards Brian
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 10:49:44 AM

Colon Terminus wrote:

>Multi-purpose units excel at nothing. At best, they are adequate.
>Photo printers are just marketing hype.
>Get a good scanner ... Hewlett Packard.
>Get a good priner ... HP, Epson, Canon (in that order).
>Combined with Windows built-in fax capability that'll
>cover all your needs superbly.

I agree. I bought a Canon IP4000 and an Epson 4180 scanner. I like
them both.

>"Brian" <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote in message
>

>>Are multi purpose printers such as those that can (scan, copy, fax,
>>print) still good at printing a photo from a digital camera file or is
>>it better to buy a photo printer?
>>
>>Regards Brian

Anonymous
May 24, 2005 1:13:07 AM

NoBS wrote:
> "Michael Johnson, PE" <cds@erols.com> wrote in message
>
>>measekite wrote:
>

>>>I bought 2 separate devices and I can do all that you do.
>>
>>The typical price for an iP4000, which is the nearest equivalent for the
>>MP780 printer function, is $120-$140 so say $130. I'm not familiar with
>>prices for scanners that can document feed 35+ sheets but my guess is one
>>with the same quality level of the MP780's would run $150-$200+. This
>>means you'll probably need to spend around $300 for the pair. I just
>>don't see the need to pay more money for less capability and convenience.
>>To each his own, I suppose.
>>

> To some, time is the most compelling reason...
> But in my case, the time involved in training the "Tech challenged family"
> is the real wean-err :-D

Maintaining harmony with the homies is not to be underrated. ;)
!