Downloads Limited?

Hi all. I recently had to re-install XP Home after a crash. Now, when I try
to download files from websites I am limited to 2 dnlds at a time. Before
the crash I could dnld 4 or 5 at a time. This is through IE 6, no dnld
manager.
Is there a way to set the number of dnlds allowed?
Many thanks.

Hi LMO,

There is a tweak, yes, but the normal limit is 2 in Internet Explorer. You
have to tweak this key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings

It's easy to find on google.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"LMO" <lmo@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi all. I recently had to re-install XP Home after a crash. Now, when I
> try to download files from websites I am limited to 2 dnlds at a time.
> Before the crash I could dnld 4 or 5 at a time. This is through IE 6, no
> dnld manager.
> Is there a way to set the number of dnlds allowed?
> Many thanks.

Easy fix is to get FreshDownload. It is free from
http://www.freshdevices.com/freshdown.html and you get a
spyware, ad free download manager. You can set download
parameters and it also resumes and pauses as well as
schedules downloads.

"LMO" <lmo@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message
| Hi all. I recently had to re-install XP Home after a
crash. Now, when I try
| to download files from websites I am limited to 2 dnlds at
a time. Before
| the crash I could dnld 4 or 5 at a time. This is through
IE 6, no dnld
| manager.
| Is there a way to set the number of dnlds allowed?
| Many thanks.

Hey Rick, good to see you again.
Thanks for the tweak. Found the info on the net.

> Hi LMO,
>
> There is a tweak, yes, but the normal limit is 2 in Internet Explorer. You
> have to tweak this key:
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
> Settings
>
> It's easy to find on google.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "LMO" <lmo@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hi all. I recently had to re-install XP Home after a crash. Now, when I
>> try to download files from websites I am limited to 2 dnlds at a time.
>> Before the crash I could dnld 4 or 5 at a time. This is through IE 6, no
>> dnld manager.
>> Is there a way to set the number of dnlds allowed?
>> Many thanks.

No problem. Thought I recognized the initials.

--

> Hey Rick, good to see you again.
> Thanks for the tweak. Found the info on the net.

>> Hi LMO,
>>
>> There is a tweak, yes, but the normal limit is 2 in Internet Explorer.
>> You have to tweak this key:
>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
>> Settings
>>
>> It's easy to find on google.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "LMO" <lmo@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi all. I recently had to re-install XP Home after a crash. Now, when I
>>> try to download files from websites I am limited to 2 dnlds at a time.
>>> Before the crash I could dnld 4 or 5 at a time. This is through IE 6, no
>>> dnld manager.
>>> Is there a way to set the number of dnlds allowed?
>>> Many thanks.

Caution. Every spyware program I have used has identified Fresh Devices as
a prime source of spyware getting into my computer. I quit using all Fresh
Devices programs and have not had nearly the problem with spyware. If this
is somehow bad info, I apologize, but AdAware listed program after program
that it linked back to FreshUI, FreshDownload, etc.

> Easy fix is to get FreshDownload. It is free from
> http://www.freshdevices.com/freshdown.html and you get a
> spyware, ad free download manager. You can set download
> parameters and it also resumes and pauses as well as
> schedules downloads.

> "LMO" <lmo@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message
> | Hi all. I recently had to re-install XP Home after a
> crash. Now, when I try
> | to download files from websites I am limited to 2 dnlds at
> a time. Before
> | the crash I could dnld 4 or 5 at a time. This is through
> IE 6, no dnld
> | manager.
> | Is there a way to set the number of dnlds allowed?
> | Many thanks.

I've been using Ad-Aware and SpyBot for a long time, also
FreshDownload. I have never had a hit on FreshDownload. It
may be that you're downloading files with spyware, using
FreshDownload as the agent. The file could be in a
FreshDownload folder and that is what is being detected as
the path to the "evil" file.

Has anybody else had any issue with FreshDownload or FreshUI
I'd like to hear about it.

"Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst@msn.com> wrote in message
| Caution. Every spyware program I have used has identified
Fresh Devices as
| a prime source of spyware getting into my computer. I
quit using all Fresh
| Devices programs and have not had nearly the problem with
spyware. If this
| is somehow bad info, I apologize, but AdAware listed
program after program
| that it linked back to FreshUI, FreshDownload, etc.

in message
| > Easy fix is to get FreshDownload. It is free from
| > http://www.freshdevices.com/freshdown.html and you get a
| > spyware, ad free download manager. You can set download
| > parameters and it also resumes and pauses as well as
| > schedules downloads.
| >

| > --
| >

| > "LMO" <lmo@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message
| > | Hi all. I recently had to re-install XP Home after a
| > crash. Now, when I try
| > | to download files from websites I am limited to 2
dnlds at
| > a time. Before
| > | the crash I could dnld 4 or 5 at a time. This is
through
| > IE 6, no dnld
| > | manager.
| > | Is there a way to set the number of dnlds allowed?
| > | Many thanks.
| > |
| > |

No, I quit using FreshDownload a long time before I quit using FreshDiagnose
and FreshUI and I still got a lot of adware. Whatever it was, it was not
using FreshDownload to download other things. AdAware kept listing new
spyware with associations with Fresh Devices programs so I got rid of the
lot. I use GetRight and MSN for downloads now and my system stays very
clean.

> I've been using Ad-Aware and SpyBot for a long time, also
> FreshDownload. I have never had a hit on FreshDownload. It
> may be that you're downloading files with spyware, using
> FreshDownload as the agent. The file could be in a
> FreshDownload folder and that is what is being detected as
> the path to the "evil" file.
>
> Has anybody else had any issue with FreshDownload or FreshUI
> I'd like to hear about it.

> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst@msn.com> wrote in message
> | Caution. Every spyware program I have used has identified
> Fresh Devices as
> | a prime source of spyware getting into my computer. I
> quit using all Fresh
> | Devices programs and have not had nearly the problem with
> spyware. If this
> | is somehow bad info, I apologize, but AdAware listed
> program after program
> | that it linked back to FreshUI, FreshDownload, etc.
> |
> | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote
> in message
> | > Easy fix is to get FreshDownload. It is free from
> | > http://www.freshdevices.com/freshdown.html and you get a
> | > spyware, ad free download manager. You can set download
> | > parameters and it also resumes and pauses as well as
> | > schedules downloads.
> | >

> | > --
> | > The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
> | > But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
> | >

> | > "LMO" <lmo@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message
> | > crash. Now, when I try
> dnlds at
> | > a time. Before
> through
> | > IE 6, no dnld
> | > |
> | > |

I tried and drop Get Right some time ago, before I found
FreshDownload. Here is what Get Right says about
themselves...

GetRight®

It is a privilege that you use my software on your
computer. Thank you.
I have worked very hard to ensure that GetRight is a
high-quality, useful product: one that I would want to use
on my own computer if someone else had written it.
In earlier versions, I've tried different ways with
GetRight to make money and to compete with some of the
similar programs: showing banner ads and having the option
for extra bundled software in the installer.
But no more.
The banner ads have been removed for a over a year,
and as of November 4, 2002, the optional Gator software in
the installer for GetRight has been completely removed from
GetRight's installer.

So for versions of GetRight 4.5e and higher:

a.. GetRight contains absolutely no extra
advertising add-ons or advertising systems.

a.. GetRight contains no extra programs tagging
along in its installer.

a.. GetRight will not (and never has) send us any
personal information about you or your computer without your
knowledge.

a.. GetRight will not connect to our web site(s)
without your control and a reason useful for you. (Checking
for a newer version and searching for mirrors for now.)

In return, I ask for your respect and honesty.
Advertising and the other things I'm not going to do are how
many other software companies make their money. Refusing
these ways, we will only make money if you buy GetRight. I
rely on and trust in you, the people who use my software, to
do the right thing and purchase it.

--Michael Burford
Programmer of GetRight

If you are getting spyware with FreshDownload, it is
possible that a mirror site server added it on "to cover
cost."

| No, I quit using FreshDownload a long time before I quit
using FreshDiagnose
| and FreshUI and I still got a lot of adware. Whatever it
was, it was not
| using FreshDownload to download other things. AdAware
kept listing new
| spyware with associations with Fresh Devices programs so I
got rid of the
| lot. I use GetRight and MSN for downloads now and my
system stays very
| clean.

in message
| > I've been using Ad-Aware and SpyBot for a long time,
also
| > FreshDownload. I have never had a hit on FreshDownload.
It
| > may be that you're downloading files with spyware, using
| > FreshDownload as the agent. The file could be in a
| > FreshDownload folder and that is what is being detected
as
| > the path to the "evil" file.
| >
| > Has anybody else had any issue with FreshDownload or
FreshUI
| > I'd like to hear about it.
| >

| > --
| >

| > "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst@msn.com> wrote in
message
| > | Caution. Every spyware program I have used has
identified
| > Fresh Devices as
| > | a prime source of spyware getting into my computer. I
| > quit using all Fresh
| > | Devices programs and have not had nearly the problem
with
| > spyware. If this
| > | is somehow bad info, I apologize, but AdAware listed
| > program after program
| > | that it linked back to FreshUI, FreshDownload, etc.
| > |
| > | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
wrote
| > in message