Core2 Duo on MicroATX

klyndt

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2006
I have set myself some lofty goals. I figure if I start high I can explore the limits then come back down to earth later. I want to build a new system using the E6600, but I want it on a mATX motherboard. Has anyone heard any rumors about any company doing this yet? Perhaps you know of a potential release date?

Thanks for your help!
Klyndt

nick_000000

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
Shame asus didn't invest a bit more into the board it could have been alright if they wern't so cheap with their parts, can't find any other mATX boards though for core 2 duo so asus are laughing for the moment.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Nah, it's just that Core2 processor sales haven't overtaken other Socket 775 processors yet. I think you can figure out why.

We'll probably see some decent HTPC-oriented Core2 MATX boards in about a month.

nick_000000

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
Good point spose it's not even out yet, that intel board doesn't look too bad though I would go with that if you want a mATX mobo now.

klyndt

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2006
I checked the usual suspects before I created this topic including Asus and Intel (and MSI, and Gigabyte, and Asrock, and DFI, and Abit). One thing I learned is that if you know what chipset you want, then you can find a board. If you know what processor you want or form factor (but not a chipset), then good luck. I did a quick pricegrabber check for MATX and MicroATX and I didn't immediately recognize any Core2 Duo boards.

I hadn't heard that a VIA chipset was out that supported this processor and I was also not aware the 945GZ was a Core2 Duo chipset either. I limited myself (wrongly) to the 975 and the 965 chipsets (like the regular ATX boards).

It is a bummer that the mATX boards available now only offer integrated graphics. Maybe I'll have to wait for something better.

Thanks for your help. If you find another board, let me know.

Klyndt

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That shows how little you know. All chipsets that support 1066 bus support Core2. A 2-year-old nForce4 SLI Intel Edition chipset could support it. It's just a matter of manufacturers updating the board itself.

Also, the latest nVidia performance chipsets are based on the integrated graphics C51G. That includes the 590 and 570. nVidia simply disabled on the onboard graphics and added a new southbridge.

Over 95% of the Micro ATX boards you can find will have integrated graphics. When you select a Micro ATX board to use with a graphics card, you pick the best features, ignore the onboard graphics, and disable the onboard graphics.

But that does bring up another point: I don't know of any good integrated chipsets that support 1066 bus. And a non-integrated chipset board would have a much smaller market. Having a smaller market delays introduction as the manufacturers put big-sellers first.

MagicPants

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
That shows how little you know. All chipsets that support 1066 bus support Core2. A 2-year-old nForce4 SLI Intel Edition chipset could support it. It's just a matter of manufacturers updating the board itself.

Kinda rude, but whatever... :roll:

I hear Conroe also requires more stable power. I would not buy a mobo unless it specifically states it supports Conroe. Also I expect manufactors will be slow to update their 2 year old models when they'd much rather sell you a new one.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Of course it can be harder to supply stable current at lower voltages, because 50W at 0.65V would be 77A (!), but 50W at 1.30v would only be 38A. But most boards were already capable of supporting excessive voltage due to Prescott and Pentium-D problems. The big thing is keeping the line voltage stable of course.

The really real issue was that one pin was re-assigned. Read the article at THG. I didn't look, but it was probably a ground pin previously (lots of redundacy there). Core2 simply won't fire up without the correct board revision.

klyndt

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2006
I was just playing around on Intel's site and they have a motherboard search engine which is quite handy.

http://indigo.intel.com/mbsg/

There are currently 4 motherboards (it lists 5, but one is a mistake) with Intel chipsets (in mATX):
Gigabyte GA-945GM-S2
Intel DG965SS, DG965OT, D946GZIS

I'm currently leaning towards the DG965OT. Any thoughts on this?

Klyndt

TRENDING THREADS