Sign in with
Your question

Computer upgrading (levels of dificulty)

Last response: in Systems
July 23, 2006 1:09:24 AM

im thinking about upgrading my computer's processor and RAM, i already did the graphics, and usb2 host card

i wanna know how hard that stuff is because its not my computer

my current:

p3 933mhz ( i think socket 370 not sure)
128x 2 sdram pc133 ( one more slot left, 512 max)

ya just wanted to know...

thanks for everything :lol:  :lol: 
July 23, 2006 1:14:34 AM

Finding new parts for a socket 370 board is going to be extremely hard. You'll have to look on eBay or some other online auction site. It would be easier IMO, to just do a complete rebuild. If you go the complete rebuild route, let me know how much you want to spend, what you want to do with the system, and if you have a preference between AMD or Intel.
July 23, 2006 2:07:26 AM

Agreed. While you save up for a new rebuild, just look around the forums on other peoples new builds to pick up tips and information. You can find very informative information from both sides of every arguement.
Related resources
July 23, 2006 2:08:01 AM

Save your money for something a bit more modern.
July 23, 2006 2:55:09 AM

building an entirely new computer really isnt very expencive. you can even re-use some of the parts you already have.

The power supply, optical drive(s), hard drive(s), and case can all be used in a new system. you would just need to buy a new motherboard, cpu, and ram.

for the cpu, everyone in the forum (except for baron matrix and 9-inch) will recommend waiting a few weeks untill intel's latest cpu comes out. Its called conroe, and for a cheap build, you can get one for around 2 hundred dollars.

Here is some decent ram for the AMD board below ($90)

Here is a $160 mobo/cpu kit that would be good for you if you cant wait for conroe to hit shelves

so for about $250, you can have a semi-new machine that wil greatly outperform your old one

but if you can wait a few weeks, deffinately wait for conroe. it is alot better then the parts i sugested, and shouldnt cost much more

even buying the cheapest parts you can find on newegg, you will be amazed at how much faster your computer will be.
July 23, 2006 2:58:11 AM

Quote:
The power supply, optical drive(s), hard drive(s), and case can all be used in a new system. you would just need to buy a new motherboard, cpu, and ram.

Actually that's not true. The power supply will very likely need to be replaced. The optical and hard drives can be used in the new build though.
July 23, 2006 3:08:33 AM

yeah, your right *sigh*

coming from a p3 many of the connectors would have changed.

(I'll sell you my 600 watt x-finity if you want)

or you could buy one pretty inexpencively off of newegg

you can get them for around 20 dollars if your not planning on doing any overclocking and dont mind getting cheap parts
July 23, 2006 3:32:08 AM

Quote:
yeah, your right *sigh*

coming from a p3 many of the connectors would have changed.

(I'll sell you my 600 watt x-finity if you want)

or you could buy one pretty inexpencively off of newegg

you can get them for around 20 dollars if your not planning on doing any overclocking and dont mind getting cheap parts

NEVER spend less than $50 on a power supply, unless it ends up being less than $50 after a mail-in rebate.
July 23, 2006 3:38:12 AM

Quote:

NEVER spend less than $50 on a power supply, unless it ends up being less than $50 after a mail-in rebate.

Agreed - you spend less on one and chances are it'll blow at the most oppertune time and take your mobo/cpu along with it. An extra 20/30 quid is worth it for piece of mind.
July 23, 2006 5:13:06 AM

good thing mail in rebates are easy to come by. newegg has 40 different PSUs with mail in rebates. I'm sorry, my psu knowledge is alittle rusty. I'm was just going by what a friend told me he got his for, but he got his with a vid card like I did( lower moded- cheaper psu )

Now I'm having the forum in one window and newegg in annother, jut to make sure of prices!
July 23, 2006 10:00:40 AM

Finding those parts shouldn't be terribly difficult to find although tracking down ram will be alot easier than finding a cpu. I belive tigerdirect.com still sells pc133 ram, I don't vouch for them I know some people dont like them but they do stil lsell pc133 ram. They are all right in suggesting upgrading if you can. But if not as far as difficulty installing ram is very simple if you have done some work on the pc before I would think it is easier than installing a vid card but thats my opinion, just always be carefull and watch out for static charges. Installing a new cpu is a bit more difficult and costly if something goes wrong in the process, but compared to putting in a new mobo it is fairly easy if you have the knowledge.
July 23, 2006 2:16:02 PM

i've been holding out on getting a new comp since like 11/05, only because i wanna get the best bang for my buck

i'll prolly get one around christmas/vista directx 10 launch
i like to game, but right now the only games i play are like quake 3, lol
did i mention i have dial up? ha
i am very frugal with my money, and being a kid i dont wanna spend all of it on a computer
i heard guild wars is a good networker, so i think i might uprgrade my memory to 512 and try that out (good idea?....or not)
i'vce been thinking about ocing my graphics card fx5500, but it has passive cooling... and my mobo doesnt have temp sensors so i cant tell the temp, but judging from the outgoing air it must be pretty cool

well anywway, any quick performance fixes would be appreciated
once i get a job in the fall, ill be more willing to spend

thanks

~lionhardt <------{he's cool}
July 23, 2006 4:09:16 PM

Well, to get a "quick" and simple performance boost, more memory always helps. As someone has mentioned Tiger Direct sells PC133 and so does NewEgg.

I've had many people prescribed reinstalling Windows, but I can't vouch on that, yet.

You also want to defragment your hard drive.

Shut down any useless Processes, and services if you want.

~Ibrahim~
July 23, 2006 5:04:18 PM

Maximum PC did an article on making a gaming pc for $350 or so. I can't find the article online, but its possible. Few bargain components and Linux OS and you can build a reasonable system. It won't do anything fancy but it should run circles around yoru current system.
July 23, 2006 5:05:22 PM

i've been doing that since i got into computers, i defrag every week, and i went to msconfig to shut off gay startups i didnt need...

yeah, im prolly gonna do mem, since its easy....

but wat about ocing my fx5500, and my coppermine p3 933mhz?

passive cooling on vid card, but i was thinking about getting on of those pci fans, because i dont really know about installing vga coolers with thermal paste or whatever

i dont think ocing the p3 would be a good idea but, whatever, im open to ideas...

:D  :D  :)  :(  :o  8O :? 8) :lol:  :x :p  :oops:  :cry:  :evil:  :twisted: :roll: :wink: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow:
July 23, 2006 5:10:20 PM

(i double posted, didnt get to see the post that was a minute before me, lol)

i've saved up to spend like one grand ($1000) at most, but i want dx10 and conroe, and i guess vista, so ill buy like 7 moneths from now or whatever....

but about building a whole new one, i know a lot about computers but ive never installed a processor or played around with a BIOS so uuhh yeah

<.>
(.)(.) <----korean prostitue
( `)
July 23, 2006 5:22:07 PM

Well, I think there are only two things that are needed to build a computer, knowledge wise:

1. You know the parts are compatabile.
2. You know where the things plug in.

A processor may seem scary to install, but just do it carefully and your pretty much done. The processor and it's fan are probably the most difficult thing to install, everything else is a piece of cake by compairison. If you aren't overclocking, you shouldn't have to mess with the BIOS at all. Even if you are overclocking, there are programs that OC from the OC, but I don't trust them.

Yeah, a lot of times someone posts before you finish your own..

~Ibrahim~
July 23, 2006 5:22:27 PM

Quote:
(i double posted, didnt get to see the post that was a minute before me, lol)

i've saved up to spend like one grand ($1000) at most, but i want dx10 and conroe, and i guess vista, so ill buy like 7 moneths from now or whatever....

but about building a whole new one, i know a lot about computers but ive never installed a processor or played around with a BIOS so uuhh yeah

<.>
(.)(.) <----korean prostitue
( `)

Its really quite simple to build a PC. Once the time comes I know someone on this forum will right out a how-to, if there isn't one already sticky'd somewhere. I knew amazingly little going into my first build, but I knew everything fits only one way and to be very careful, and it all worked out.
July 23, 2006 10:57:12 PM

yeah everything other than the processor seems easy, most are just pop in...

but still, when i do buy a new comp i think ill check slickdeals for a good dell deal, and then upgrade it.... maby not, idk

tell me more about the fx 5500 oc

thanks

:twisted:
July 23, 2006 11:49:07 PM

Quote:
but still, when i do buy a new comp i think ill check slickdeals for a good dell deal, and then upgrade it.... maby not, idk

Only problem with doing that, is that it might be a lot harder than you think. Dell uses proprietary parts in their computers, so you may find things like the motherboard can't be installed because of a custom rear IO shield. My old gateway case has one... it can't be removed because it's part of the case. I couldn't put my (at the time) new Abit board in because the IO ports on the board didn't line up. IMO, it's almost always better to do a custom build, especially if you're planning on getting cheap parts to start (just to get a working system), then upgrading pieces from there.
July 24, 2006 1:41:23 AM

Well, overclocking a passively cooled graphic isn't that good. Also oc'ing a graphic card won't add too much performance in games, maybe an extra 5-10 frames.

~Ibrahim~
July 24, 2006 2:25:07 AM

Am I the only one baffled and confused by the korean prostitute thing?
July 24, 2006 2:33:31 AM

Nope. Me, too, but I am just going to leave sleeping dogs lie.

~Ibrahim~
July 24, 2006 4:06:43 AM

Quote:
Nope. Me, too, but I am just going to leave sleeping dogs lie.

~Ibrahim~

I wish I had a dog
July 24, 2006 4:19:59 AM

Quote:
Am I the only one baffled and confused by the korean prostitute thing?

I'm pretty baffled as well, I just chose not to say anything.
July 24, 2006 3:15:03 PM

lol

idk.... seee the slit eyes, boobs, though id throw it in ahha

so just for now, memory updrade (1 x 256 sdram pc 133)

how much should i spend on one of those modules 30 bucks?
July 24, 2006 11:45:16 PM

That was random.

~Ibrahim~
July 25, 2006 2:28:18 AM

Quote:
That was random.

~Ibrahim~

Ah you recognize my talent! lol.
July 25, 2006 2:53:13 PM

Interesting talent, lol. Agree with Prophecy, that RAM looks good..

~Ibrahim~
July 25, 2006 3:28:50 PM

Quote:
Interesting talent, lol. Agree with Prophecy, that RAM looks good..

~Ibrahim~

It keeps you on your toes doesn't it? We can't have these trolls becoming complacent (not you but you know whe I'm talking about *cough* 9 inch *cough*).
!