Sign in with
Your question

Canada has Acknowledged the ATI+AMD merger rumors

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
July 23, 2006 2:38:54 AM

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/financialpost/story....

This is the Canada's national newpaper. In it mostly only prints or posts anything if there is a highly likely chance it's going to come true or has a good chance that it could be true.

Supporting Reliable Sourses
http://www.realtechnews.com/posts/3299
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.2006...
http://today.reuters.com/investing/financeArticle.aspx?...
July 23, 2006 2:51:44 AM

Where is the Inquirer?
Related resources
July 23, 2006 3:01:00 AM

Quote:
http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/financialpost/story....

This is the Canada's national newpaper. In it mostly only prints or posts anything if there is a highly likely chance it's going to come true or has a good chance that it could be true.

Supporting Reliable Sourses
http://www.realtechnews.com/posts/3299
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.2006...
http://today.reuters.com/investing/financeArticle.aspx?...

I believe in thinking for myself, though there are alot of people carrying the same story.

I still feel that this deal would hurt AMD more than help them as partner investment is a more sound strategy in a volatile market than taking on the whole task.

Intel AND Dell are feeling hte pain of this as both have taken hits in sock and profits.

For AMD to go down the same road after having solidified partnerships with MULTIPLE OEMs and vendors would be like saying, "Naaaaah, we were just kidding. We were waiting for our chance to become the next Intel."

How owuld the recently announced nVidia Business Platform be affected? Badly. AMD would now be in direct competition with the maker of the nForce.

That's like competing against yourself. On Newegg there are 37 AM2 mobos and only 4 of them have something other than nForce 4 or 5xx. One is ATi and 3 are VIA.

One analyst said something interesting I thought I would quote as it echoes my sentiments.

Quote:
"There would be a backlash from [computer giants] who don't want [ATI or Nvidia] to have more pricing control," said Jon Hykawy, an analyst with Research Capital Corp., adding an AMD-ATI partnership makes more sense.
July 23, 2006 3:20:14 AM

Well its almost offical , AMD has done its part and now its ATI turn to hand over the key for the big bag of cash.
July 23, 2006 3:24:02 AM

Quote:

For AMD to go down the same road after having solidified partnerships with MULTIPLE OEMs and vendors would be like saying, "Naaaaah, we were just kidding. We were waiting for our chance to become the next Intel."

Feel like you're waking up from a bad dream? It's time to grow up BM, and start thinking like an adult. It's a tough world out there.

Besides, did you actually ever think that AMD was some sort of Mother Theresa or something?

Need a hug?
July 23, 2006 3:32:43 AM

Quote:

Feel like you're waking up from a bad dream? It's time to grow up BM, and start thinking like an adult. It's a tough world out there.

Besides, did you actually ever think that AMD was some sort of Mother Theresa or something?

Need a hug?

Adults don't turn back on their word or act in secret.
July 23, 2006 3:33:56 AM

Quote:
Well its almost offical , AMD has done its part and now its ATI turn to hand over the key for the big bag of cash.

The rumor is almost official. I can't see anything good for AMD from this. Can you tell me how they would benefit?
July 23, 2006 3:38:58 AM

Quote:

Need a hug?

Wow, you must be really sheltered. Ever hear of Pollyanna?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pollyanna
July 23, 2006 3:52:14 AM

Quote:

The rumor is almost official. I can't see anything good for AMD from this. Can you tell me how they would benefit?

This would benefit them, because they can now put a killer GPU, & motherboard chipset right into the CPU(imagine a 2ghz gpu).... System on a chip will be closer to a reality(it is coming one way or another).... The cost of buying a computer would go way down, because you would not have to buy a video card, or expensive motherboard chipset....

note: Or they can ensure video cards will be made for the upcomming HTX socket....

I would rather see them take the MIcrosost approach, and just higher Great Chip developers away from good compaines like ATI/NVidea/VIA/etc.... THey could pay them triple of what they are getting paid now, and it still wouldn't cost them the billions the are going to pay now....
July 23, 2006 4:08:16 AM

Quote:

This would benefit them, because they can now put a killer GPU, & motherboard chipset right into the CPU(imagine a 2ghz gpu).... System on a chip will be closer to a reality(it is coming one way or another).... The cost of buying a computer would go way down, because you would not have to buy a video card, or expensive motherboard chipset....

note: Or they can ensure video cards will be made for the upcomming HTX socket....

I would rather see them take the MIcrosost approach, and just higher Great Chip developers away from good compaines like ATI/NVidea/VIA/etc.... THey could pay them triple of what they are getting paid now, and it still wouldn't cost them the billions the are going to pay now....

So how do you recommend they allocate the time of the engineers? They have just opened up the socket and there are no GPU derivatives even planned so it would take at least a year for them to implement any socketed GPUs much less a die-integrated solution.

In that time they need to sell GPUs, chipsets, and CPUs. Since ATi uses TSMC to fab chips they now have an extra expense that won't yield a high gross margin. And ATi engineers can't help with K8L and BullDozer and Rev G so how can they get this done before Kentsfield and nVidia taking a dump on their head(s)?

I don't care if God announced the rumor. I have to say it is unnecessary and hurtful to already established partnerships. Just because they own a chipset family (which they are again not fabbed for) doesn't mean they can balance the books enough to compete with Intel's 12 fabs. They then also have to be responsible for reference mobos where previously nVidia and ATi separately provided these to mobo makers.

We'll see, I guess on Monday.
July 23, 2006 4:40:17 AM

What a mistake? Worse thing they could ever do. I'll go back to the evil intellian empire before I let anything remotely connected with ATI in my system. AMD 64's will be the end of the AMD road for me should they buy Always Technically Inept.
July 23, 2006 7:48:32 AM

I have also read that for less than 1 Billion more they could buy Nvidia. Seems to me that Nvidia would be a better buy if they were going to do it. But I also assume AMD has explored both ideas and has decided on ATI for a reason.... we will see..

wes
July 23, 2006 7:57:02 AM

Quote:
I have also read that for less than 1 Billion more they could buy Nvidia. Seems to me that Nvidia would be a better buy if they were going to do it. But I also assume AMD has explored both ideas and has decided on ATI for a reason.... we will see..

wes

[rant] Ya ATI design's innovative, forward-thinking GPU's while Nvidia gives us smoke and mirror's and driver opt's to keep up while sacrificing IQ[/rant]
July 23, 2006 8:16:44 AM

I was mainly referring to which company makes the most money and would be the best investment from a business aspect. Sure ATI does produce some good products now, but in general the Nvidia one I have had as of late were still more hassel free than the ATI ones on the drivers side. And ATI is also getting pretty high in power consumption and heat. Those are my main issues with ATI, the hardware they produce does perform rather well, and even tends to best Nvidia, only by a small percentage though.
July 23, 2006 8:25:02 AM

Yes, the chipset side is very true, that is the main reason I would consider buying a Mobo based on an ATI chipset, passive cooling is VERY nice IMO. I am tired of the whiny Nvidia chipset fans.... but I have had my own issues with ATI video card drivers even a couple of months ago, hopefully if AMD buys them out, they can take care of the driver and power consumption issues, I imagine the first is the easiest of the two.... If that were to happen, I would go ATI all the way.
July 23, 2006 8:37:41 AM

Quote:

Need a hug?

BTW, if you would like another supporting opinion you can go see Rahul Sood at VooDooPC.

He also is of the opinion that this wouldn't threaten nVidia's dominance in the AMD chipset market.

I would have to hear what nVidia's CEO would say after Rahul says that the CEOs have "no egos." One of the original sources claimed that Huang (nVidia's CEO) commented that they wouldn't as fully support AMD via chipsets. (can't remember the link)

Anyway, I can imagine some exciting possibilities for such a merger, but they are more long term and I don't feel necessary at this time since a tech agreement could do just as much.

Though I have been an ardent supporter of AMD, I had lost faith in ATi even with their continued "pushing of the envelope." I think that if they do it AND release some great ATi 4x4 chipset initiative, it could buoy the stock but just a merger agreement will cost them alot and not return anything before 2008.

By making them a wholly-owned subsidiary they could possibly buoy ATi stock and raise the CAP allowing for a structured financing deal, but again the rate of return is very low over the next 2 years.

Thinking about it, I may not boycott them but I will be expecting something spectacular to appease me. Perhaps a joint announcement with AMD, ATi, and nVidia.
July 23, 2006 9:09:00 AM

You're turning out to be an awesome troll.
July 23, 2006 10:33:57 AM

Some of you talk as if AMD is doing this on a whim, without forethought. I'm very confident both companies have discussed this ad nauseum. I don't know if things will work out better in the end or not for AMD or ATI. I do know that those involved in the decision know a lot more than we do about the ramifications, and apparently they think it can work for their benefit. Unless we are very high in the food chain with AMD or ATI we aren't in much position to criticize, because we really don't know all that much, despite what some may think. Let's just wait and see how it turns out. If someone is such that they will never use anything from ATI (or anyone else for that matter) regardless of how it performs, that's their choice, and perhaps their loss. Business is business, and making money is what counts. Apparently they believe this will make them more money.
July 23, 2006 10:46:22 AM

Quote:

Need a hug?

Ya know, I really have little use for you after your pedophile comment. So much so, that I wont lower my self to responding to you anymore, but your response to bixplus was so foolish, I had to respond

So you think you know what an adult is. Do you call yourself an adult? Was your pedophile comment that of an adult?

So adults don’t turn their back on their word? Do you know who Ray Nagan is? The mayor of New Orleans. The same one who signed the city charter which stated that the mayor was responsible for evacuating the city in time of emergency. The same mayor who stated that it wasn’t his responsibility to evacuate the city during hurricane Katrina even when he had the charter he signed thrown up in his face.

So adults don’t turn their back on their word? Do you know who William Clinton is? He was the president who made a campaign promise to the US that he would have its troops out of Haiti. The same president who had the commanding officers of the units in Haiti tell their troops that they couldn’t tell anyone they were still in Haiti, because Clinton had promised to pull them out even though they were still there.

Shall I go on? No, I think anyone with an ounce of societal awareness has several dozen examples of their own and realize how preposterous your statement was.

Lets address the other half of your sentence now.

So adults don’t act in secret? Do you deny the existence of industrial espionage? Is this not acting in secret? By your logic, only children must commit industrial espionage. I guess they lied about their age on their employment applications.
Adults don’t act in secret? I guess there are no spies in the world.
Adults don’t act in secret? I guess the 9/11 terrorists were children, as I don’t seem to recall any news stories stating that these people identified themselves as terrorists when they applied to the flight schools in Florida. For that fact of the matter, based on your logic, no terrorists can be adults since no adults act in secret.

I cant say it any better than bixplus did, so I’ll quote him again for you.

Quote:

Need a hug?
July 23, 2006 11:20:38 AM

The only ramification of this that i know for sure is that ATi just lost an order for 20 million chipset parts. Dumbasses.

Nvidia would cost waaaaaay more than $6.8 billion.

Maybe AMD wants to try this?

I dunno, this whole thing is kind of an enigma. There's something to this. From all nominal points of view this is the dumbest thing ever.

Then again Ruiz is crazy. Crazy like a fox. NEVER put anything past that man, he's like a rogue genius that people throw money at just to see what he will do next.
July 23, 2006 12:47:47 PM

Quote:
I had lost faith in ATi
That means you no longer and support AMD, Omg it is the appoclipse. The world is coming to WWIII Everything Nostrodomus predicted is coming true and giving way to Einstiens Quote
Quote:
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
now this. :o  Baron matrix Lost hope int ATI and AMD 8O 8O 8O
July 23, 2006 1:09:15 PM

I am an AMD / NVidia guy, so I am having the same bad reaction as most of you.... But Like BARON says - I will wait until monday to hear what AMD has to say about this merger.... I have to give them the benefit of the doubt until then, since they have not let me down for the past 6 years.... (Except giving up the lead to conroe temperaraly)
July 23, 2006 1:20:01 PM

In reply to gman01 in hes first post. If that happens, it will be very expensive.

But here’s an idea. If motherboards had sockets for GPU and RAMS, we could upgrade them more easily – just like with the CPU. No more buying a whole video card!

But I’m with INeedCache: Business is business, and making money is what counts.

We can only hope that something good happens if this merger gets thru.
July 23, 2006 1:58:51 PM

Insane that's what that is. If AMD wants a chipset and Graphics division they should look at SIS. Yes the graphics and chipsets are not as good, but this merger will only serve to benefit AMD and destroy ATI.

ATI is the only standing vestige of hope and competition to NVIDIA. They're also the only reason the G7950 doesn't cost $2000+. While ATI's products won't change in the next year or two, it's likely we would see ATI eventually become integrated graphics only like intel.

NVIDIA will dominate totally, because you'll likely only get AMD + ATI combination, however you'll still be able to get Intel+NV and NV+AMD.

From an investor standpoint, it's a bad deal. AMD has barely more cash on hand than ATI.

The only good that would come from the deal is that AMD couldn't get mad at the division and spin them off or relegate them to the archives. If a big company bought ATI, like STM or TSMC, and the profits weren't quite where they wanted to be, then they would likely just eat the $$$ hit and get rid of them.
July 23, 2006 2:01:19 PM

Quote:

AMD will have now:
-expertise in high performance chipset so they won't have to rely on external sources for their new products. Where is VIA AM2 chipset(KT900,iirc)? If nvidia was not ready to supply newer nforce chipset, then, AMD would have been in trouble with their AM2 release, having to be coupled to older chipset

-AMD does embedded devices, so this will gives them new tools to improve or create new one for expanding market that always need new stuff to be better performant

-ATI does chipset as well as video card.. Nvidia does chipset as well as video card. You can see ATI video card on nvidia chipset as well as nvidia card with video from ATI. One doesnt prevent the other to run, so I don't expect AMD refraining nvidia stuff to run on their plateform. They are too greedy for that.

-AMD could use ATI graphic with their new open socket standard to create embedded system fo specific task that need graphic stuff, but not related to game, such as crash simulation or weather modeling..(closed gaming minded fanboy cannot see computer to be used for anything else than FPS)

-AMD knows that ATI is not only making RADEON, and has some other discrete devices that could create new product once both expertise get merged..

For those that don't quite know ATI, well, www.ati.com... or use Yahoo to fing google to find ATI..
July 23, 2006 2:12:12 PM

Quote:
I am an AMD / NVidia guy, so I am having the same bad reaction as most of you.... But Like BARON says - I will wait until monday to hear what AMD has to say about this merger.... I have to give them the benefit of the doubt until then, since they have not let me down for the past 6 years.... (Except giving up the lead to conroe temperaraly)

for those who are worried.. Toyota Matrix and Pontiac vibe are the same car.. just like the Ford Escape and the Mazda Tribute. But Ford is developping a new truck transmission with GM. the same transmission will be used in both brand vehicule. will that stop ford fans to buy ford truck? I don't think so. Wold that stop GM fans to buy gm truck, I don't think so. Do both fans will really benefit from expertise from both company? You bet! Toyota is a leader in hybrid developpement and they own most patent for this technology, so company has to work together anyway...

Merging is not always a bad thing.. Taking the best out of the 2 and making something better

AMD will still be making CPU that would run with other chipset, just like Intel does..

It is far better than nvidia buyout of ULI. 2 direct competitors, one will disseapear. AMD may have in fact saved ATI from being buy by nvidia, so yes, your gforce would end up costing 2000$

It is no wonder the economics is going that bad after reading such clueless post on such subject in this forum..
July 23, 2006 2:24:44 PM

Quote:

wes

[rant] Ya ATI design's innovative, forward-thinking GPU's while Nvidia gives us smoke and mirror's and driver opt's to keep up while sacrificing IQ[/rant]

You forget to mention the 18 driver revisions ATI needs before "everything" works as intended.
July 23, 2006 2:27:05 PM

Quote:

6 years, wow you must have really enjoyed your K6-2.
July 23, 2006 2:27:17 PM

I really don't want to be an nvidiot, but i can't support amd.... :x

Ughh this whole fanboy thing is getting complicated. :lol: 
July 23, 2006 2:53:06 PM

I think AMD is looking at the wider product market of ATI, like cellphone and pda's. This is and area that AMD needs to get in to and ATI is a way in. The system on a chip is real not a great deal for DIY's like us but for a moble or media device it's a great idea. ATI also has R&D in physics, encoding/ decodeding and high bandwidth/speed mem controllers that AMD could use( along with the zram teck they bought rights too) to make one hell of a chip.
I could see this improving both product lines but they seem to be burning alot of bridges in the prosses. My hope is this doesn't end up to the new mac with us having to make a ATI/AMD or INTEL/NV system. Theres already to much proprietary crap in pc's.
It would be nice to have a gaming cpu that had physic and was made to boast graphics.
July 23, 2006 3:05:14 PM

Quote:

wes

You forget to mention the 18 driver revisions ATI needs before "everything" works as intended.

18? WOW, they really have improved! :wink:
July 23, 2006 3:19:04 PM

Quote:

If you think they are going to create one big chip - make it cheaper -
I think you are dreaming - And it's usually - not good engineering
practice - For example - Now most games are limited by the GPU -
so a nice upgrade path - is to slap in a faster GPU. Your new way -
they have to replace the super "CPU/GPU/chipsets" chip.
If ATI comes up with a better design - they have to wait for the next
CPU cycle- increase complexity - increase time to market -
the negatives far exceed any benefit to a super chip.
July 23, 2006 3:23:32 PM

Quote:

wes

18? WOW, they really have improved! :wink:

Word.
July 23, 2006 3:27:31 PM

How much costs nVIDIA. I think they have money to buy both ATi & AMD.
July 23, 2006 3:54:59 PM

Quote:
Why not Nvidia just buy Nintendo It they have that much money, it would be much more profitable to buy Nintendo right now with their Wii and the popularity they have been generating And kick ATi out of the Game Console race. Rather than buy out AMD or ATi. But The AMD+ATi seems to be about to go down tommorow so we'll just have to see what ATi ends up doing sitting on AMDs lap.
July 23, 2006 3:56:16 PM

Quote:

Not even close. In cash Nvidia has only $550 million, of course they wouldn't buy a company with just cash, rather a stock issuance too. Market value ATi's assets are only 2.7 billion and AMD is talking about paying 6.4 Billion, hmmm ever heard of goodwill? AMD's assets are worth upwords of 7.2 Billion with out goodwill, so lets call it 14 billion market value. And nvidia is supposed to come up with more than 20 billion in your scenario, yeah right.

Not goin to happen.

I am not sure what AMD is thinking honestly. I can see it being beneficial, but also plant a seed of potential backlash. Everybody keeps talking like ATI is on the brink of failure and will go bankrupt soon. Every company has its ups and downs, some more violent than others. Anyone remember the 9700-9800pro that walked all over nvidia? Then the 6 series came, now ATI's X1900 series is trumping the 7 series (not by much, but there are a few features nvidia doesn't have). Its called a business cycle. They will turn themselves around, its just a matter of timing. We can argue all we want, and the worst thing that could happen is Chapter 11 bankrutcy (or the equiviliant in Canada), even so they still operate even while in bankruptcy.

AMD has a reason... I just wonder what it is.
July 23, 2006 3:58:01 PM

Big mistake............ATI may look a little better, but I just don't like their cards.
Why do you have to have Primary and Secondary in Device Manager and they have really high Core speed just to keep up, not much headroom.
They will probably try to get rid of that "Old School Cable" on Crossfire (like in the 1st Monster 3D cards). Man, was that ever a blast from the past, sort of like De-Evolution lol.
July 23, 2006 4:01:25 PM

Quote:

Not even close. In cash Nvidia has only $550 million, of course they wouldn't buy a company with just cash, rather a stock issuance too. Market value ATi's assets are only 2.7 billion and AMD is talking about paying 6.4 Billion, hmmm ever heard of goodwill? AMD's assets are worth upwords of 7.2 Billion with out goodwill, so lets call it 14 billion market value. And nvidia is supposed to come up with more than 20 billion in your scenario, yeah right.

Not goin to happen.

I am not sure what AMD is thinking honestly. I can see it being beneficial, but also plant a seed of potential backlash. Everybody keeps talking like ATI is on the brink of failure and will go bankrupt soon. Every company has its ups and downs, some more violent than others. Anyone remember the 9700-9800pro that walked all over nvidia? Then the 6 series came, now ATI's X1900 series is trumping the 7 series (not by much, but there are a few features nvidia doesn't have). Its called a business cycle. They will turn themselves around, its just a matter of timing. We can argue all we want, and the worst thing that could happen is Chapter 11 bankrutcy (or the equiviliant in Canada), even so they still operate even while in bankruptcy.

AMD has a reason... I just wonder what it is.It's to detatch themselves from fanboys like BM, 9inch, etc. Good deal if you ask me. :wink:
July 23, 2006 4:06:51 PM

Quote:
It's to detatch themselves from fanboys like BM, 9inch, etc. Good deal if you ask me. :wink:

Lol, point taken. It is definately a switch, but the switch may give ATi the traction it needs to regain its confidence. I'm cautiously optimistic about the deal. It can't go worse then the Compaq HP merger.

PS- did you do a droop mod on your mobo? I can't OC my P4C rig for shit because of the voltage droop on the ASUS P4C mobo series. It gets unstable at 10% OC lol.
July 23, 2006 4:22:29 PM

As long as AMD does not mess with ATI internally too much, and the Graphics card come out for both AMD and Intel systems i'm fine with it.
July 23, 2006 4:29:25 PM

Quote:

6 years, wow you must have really enjoyed your K6-2.

1993 intel486/33
1994 amd486/dx100
1996 pentium120
1998 pentiumII300
2000 duron600
2001 athlon1600
2003 athlonXP2500
2005 athlon64-3000

My duron 600 Rocked! - never made a bad cd-burn / unlike pentiums4 did back then!

I also would like to note that my 1994 AMD486/dx 100 came on an AMD motherboard.... Most people don't even know AMD used to have their own motherboards....
July 23, 2006 4:40:55 PM

Intel makes their own chipsets, so its only logical that AMD would try to do the same to corner more of that profit.

Why ATi you ask? As I recall, I read somewhere that nVidia and intel had a bit of a falling out over chipsets. It isn't likely that they will want to work together again for a little while. So intel could work with ATi, oh wait, AMD just bought them! It looks like an attempt to corner more of the high-performance market.

Go look up some two graphics card capable motherboards, you'll find VIA and SiS chipsets. Most customers would trust chipsets made by the same company that makes the card they're sticking in over some other off brand one, or even intel's own chipset.

Sounds like a sound strategy to me...plus, you get chipset/graphics card profits included in your bankroll. And its not like they're going to tell nVidia to screw off, that would be really stupid. No, you'll continue to see both, one they own and one they work very closely with.
July 23, 2006 4:44:02 PM

Quote:
My duron 600 Rocked! - never made a bad cd-burn / unlike pentiums4 did back then!

Moo.
Say What!
July 23, 2006 4:46:30 PM

Quote:
Intel makes their own chipsets, so its only logical that AMD would try to do the same to corner more of that profit.

Why ATi you ask? As I recall, I read somewhere that nVidia and intel had a bit of a falling out over chipsets. It isn't likely that they will want to work together again for a little while. So intel could work with ATi, oh wait, AMD just bought them! It looks like an attempt to corner more of the high-performance market.

Go look up some two graphics card capable motherboards, you'll find VIA and SiS chipsets. Most customers would trust chipsets made by the same company that makes the card they're sticking in over some other off brand one, or even intel's own chipset.

Sounds like a sound strategy to me...plus, you get chipset/graphics card profits included in your bankroll. And its not like they're going to tell nVidia to screw off, that would be really stupid. No, you'll continue to see both, one they own and one they work very closely with.

I agree with everything you said, BUT that will all backfire big IF intel gobbles up NVidia.... Intel would be stupid to not go after NVidia if AMD/ATI merger happens.... Yeah there might be some FTC compaints about these mergers at first, but they have to happen sometime, becasue of the system on a chip future....

VIA has their 32 bit tiny form factor CPU/GPU/motherboards - I would like to see them compete in 64 bit land....
July 23, 2006 5:00:55 PM

Quote:
It's to detatch themselves from fanboys like BM, 9inch, etc. Good deal if you ask me. :wink:

Lol, point taken. It is definately a switch, but the switch may give ATi the traction it needs to regain its confidence. I'm cautiously optimistic about the deal. It can't go worse then the Compaq HP merger.

PS- did you do a droop mod on your mobo? I can't OC my P4C rig for **** because of the voltage droop on the ASUS P4C mobo series. It gets unstable at 10% OC lol.No, i haven't yet...I'm such a procrastinator. I have the trimmers and set to the right resistance, just haven't gotten around to it. My board isn't as bad as some(from what i've read), but i still could use the stabilized vCore to OC better. On my P4C i ran My 3.0C stable @ 3450(230FSB) and my 2.4C stable @ 2916(243FSB). :) 
July 23, 2006 5:08:05 PM

Quote:

PS- did you do a droop mod on your mobo? I can't OC my P4C rig for **** because of the voltage droop on the ASUS P4C mobo series. It gets unstable at 10% OC lol.No, i haven't yet...I'm such a procrastinator. I have the trimmers and set to the right resistance, just haven't gotten around to it. My board isn't as bad as some(from what i've read), but i still could use the stabilized vCore to OC better. On my P4C i ran My 3.0C stable @ 3450(230FSB) and my 2.4C stable @ 2916(243FSB). :) 

I hate you. I couldn't even get past 210 or so on the FSB, it was ridiculous. Yes, it was really that bad. I must have gotten one of the worst versions. I haven't modded my board bc I suck at saudering, in fact im horrible and I don't want to risk my backup computer just yet. Grrr!
July 23, 2006 5:23:15 PM

Quote:
It's to detatch themselves from fanboys like BM, 9inch, etc. Good deal if you ask me.

HaHa. Must you always get off topic with jealous attitude?
July 23, 2006 5:26:57 PM

Quote:
It's to detatch themselves from fanboys like BM, 9inch, etc. Good deal if you ask me.

HaHa. Must you always get off topic with jealous attitude?

I want a grilled cheese for lunch... hows that for off topic! lol
!