Canada has Acknowledged the ATI+AMD merger rumors

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/financialpost/story.html?id=12489116-8979-47bc-ab66-8016c19275c9&k=11412

This is the Canada's national newpaper. In it mostly only prints or posts anything if there is a highly likely chance it's going to come true or has a good chance that it could be true.

Supporting Reliable Sourses
http://www.realtechnews.com/posts/3299
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060721.wati0721/BNStory/Business/home
http://today.reuters.com/investing/financeArticle.aspx?type=bondsNews&storyID=2006-07-21T214440Z_01_N21251601_RTRIDST_0_TECH-ATI-AMD-URGENT.XML

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Where is the Inquirer?
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=33185
incase you Inquirer fans were missed it from the AMD-Quida fanatics BM or the 9-incher
It's the damn Reuters GD it. thats about as reliable as your favorite guidance councler

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/financialpost/story.html?id=12489116-8979-47bc-ab66-8016c19275c9&k=11412

This is the Canada's national newpaper. In it mostly only prints or posts anything if there is a highly likely chance it's going to come true or has a good chance that it could be true.

Supporting Reliable Sourses
http://www.realtechnews.com/posts/3299
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060721.wati0721/BNStory/Business/home
http://today.reuters.com/investing/financeArticle.aspx?type=bondsNews&storyID=2006-07-21T214440Z_01_N21251601_RTRIDST_0_TECH-ATI-AMD-URGENT.XML

I believe in thinking for myself, though there are alot of people carrying the same story.

I still feel that this deal would hurt AMD more than help them as partner investment is a more sound strategy in a volatile market than taking on the whole task.

Intel AND Dell are feeling hte pain of this as both have taken hits in sock and profits.

For AMD to go down the same road after having solidified partnerships with MULTIPLE OEMs and vendors would be like saying, "Naaaaah, we were just kidding. We were waiting for our chance to become the next Intel."

How owuld the recently announced nVidia Business Platform be affected? Badly. AMD would now be in direct competition with the maker of the nForce.

That's like competing against yourself. On Newegg there are 37 AM2 mobos and only 4 of them have something other than nForce 4 or 5xx. One is ATi and 3 are VIA.

One analyst said something interesting I thought I would quote as it echoes my sentiments.

"There would be a backlash from [computer giants] who don't want [ATI or Nvidia] to have more pricing control," said Jon Hykawy, an analyst with Research Capital Corp., adding an AMD-ATI partnership makes more sense.

Panther_V

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
Well its almost offical , AMD has done its part and now its ATI turn to hand over the key for the big bag of cash.

bixplus

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
For AMD to go down the same road after having solidified partnerships with MULTIPLE OEMs and vendors would be like saying, "Naaaaah, we were just kidding. We were waiting for our chance to become the next Intel."

Feel like you're waking up from a bad dream? It's time to grow up BM, and start thinking like an adult. It's a tough world out there.

Besides, did you actually ever think that AMD was some sort of Mother Theresa or something?

Need a hug?

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

Feel like you're waking up from a bad dream? It's time to grow up BM, and start thinking like an adult. It's a tough world out there.

Besides, did you actually ever think that AMD was some sort of Mother Theresa or something?

Need a hug?

Adults don't turn back on their word or act in secret.

bixplus

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006

Need a hug?

Wow, you must be really sheltered. Ever hear of Pollyanna?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pollyanna

gman01

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
The rumor is almost official. I can't see anything good for AMD from this. Can you tell me how they would benefit?

This would benefit them, because they can now put a killer GPU, & motherboard chipset right into the CPU(imagine a 2ghz gpu).... System on a chip will be closer to a reality(it is coming one way or another).... The cost of buying a computer would go way down, because you would not have to buy a video card, or expensive motherboard chipset....

note: Or they can ensure video cards will be made for the upcomming HTX socket....

I would rather see them take the MIcrosost approach, and just higher Great Chip developers away from good compaines like ATI/NVidea/VIA/etc.... THey could pay them triple of what they are getting paid now, and it still wouldn't cost them the billions the are going to pay now....

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
The rumor is almost official. I can't see anything good for AMD from this. Can you tell me how they would benefit?

This would benefit them, because they can now put a killer GPU, & motherboard chipset right into the CPU(imagine a 2ghz gpu).... System on a chip will be closer to a reality(it is coming one way or another).... The cost of buying a computer would go way down, because you would not have to buy a video card, or expensive motherboard chipset....

note: Or they can ensure video cards will be made for the upcomming HTX socket....

I would rather see them take the MIcrosost approach, and just higher Great Chip developers away from good compaines like ATI/NVidea/VIA/etc.... THey could pay them triple of what they are getting paid now, and it still wouldn't cost them the billions the are going to pay now....

So how do you recommend they allocate the time of the engineers? They have just opened up the socket and there are no GPU derivatives even planned so it would take at least a year for them to implement any socketed GPUs much less a die-integrated solution.

In that time they need to sell GPUs, chipsets, and CPUs. Since ATi uses TSMC to fab chips they now have an extra expense that won't yield a high gross margin. And ATi engineers can't help with K8L and BullDozer and Rev G so how can they get this done before Kentsfield and nVidia taking a dump on their head(s)?

I don't care if God announced the rumor. I have to say it is unnecessary and hurtful to already established partnerships. Just because they own a chipset family (which they are again not fabbed for) doesn't mean they can balance the books enough to compete with Intel's 12 fabs. They then also have to be responsible for reference mobos where previously nVidia and ATi separately provided these to mobo makers.

We'll see, I guess on Monday.

4Aces

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
What a mistake? Worse thing they could ever do. I'll go back to the evil intellian empire before I let anything remotely connected with ATI in my system. AMD 64's will be the end of the AMD road for me should they buy Always Technically Inept.

weskurtz81

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
I have also read that for less than 1 Billion more they could buy Nvidia. Seems to me that Nvidia would be a better buy if they were going to do it. But I also assume AMD has explored both ideas and has decided on ATI for a reason.... we will see..

wes

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005
I have also read that for less than 1 Billion more they could buy Nvidia. Seems to me that Nvidia would be a better buy if they were going to do it. But I also assume AMD has explored both ideas and has decided on ATI for a reason.... we will see..

wes

[rant] Ya ATI design's innovative, forward-thinking GPU's while Nvidia gives us smoke and mirror's and driver opt's to keep up while sacrificing IQ[/rant]

weskurtz81

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
I was mainly referring to which company makes the most money and would be the best investment from a business aspect. Sure ATI does produce some good products now, but in general the Nvidia one I have had as of late were still more hassel free than the ATI ones on the drivers side. And ATI is also getting pretty high in power consumption and heat. Those are my main issues with ATI, the hardware they produce does perform rather well, and even tends to best Nvidia, only by a small percentage though.

weskurtz81

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
Yes, the chipset side is very true, that is the main reason I would consider buying a Mobo based on an ATI chipset, passive cooling is VERY nice IMO. I am tired of the whiny Nvidia chipset fans.... but I have had my own issues with ATI video card drivers even a couple of months ago, hopefully if AMD buys them out, they can take care of the driver and power consumption issues, I imagine the first is the easiest of the two.... If that were to happen, I would go ATI all the way.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

Need a hug?

BTW, if you would like another supporting opinion you can go see Rahul Sood at VooDooPC.

He also is of the opinion that this wouldn't threaten nVidia's dominance in the AMD chipset market.

I would have to hear what nVidia's CEO would say after Rahul says that the CEOs have "no egos." One of the original sources claimed that Huang (nVidia's CEO) commented that they wouldn't as fully support AMD via chipsets. (can't remember the link)

Anyway, I can imagine some exciting possibilities for such a merger, but they are more long term and I don't feel necessary at this time since a tech agreement could do just as much.

Though I have been an ardent supporter of AMD, I had lost faith in ATi even with their continued "pushing of the envelope." I think that if they do it AND release some great ATi 4x4 chipset initiative, it could buoy the stock but just a merger agreement will cost them alot and not return anything before 2008.

By making them a wholly-owned subsidiary they could possibly buoy ATi stock and raise the CAP allowing for a structured financing deal, but again the rate of return is very low over the next 2 years.

Thinking about it, I may not boycott them but I will be expecting something spectacular to appease me. Perhaps a joint announcement with AMD, ATi, and nVidia.

INeedCache

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Some of you talk as if AMD is doing this on a whim, without forethought. I'm very confident both companies have discussed this ad nauseum. I don't know if things will work out better in the end or not for AMD or ATI. I do know that those involved in the decision know a lot more than we do about the ramifications, and apparently they think it can work for their benefit. Unless we are very high in the food chain with AMD or ATI we aren't in much position to criticize, because we really don't know all that much, despite what some may think. Let's just wait and see how it turns out. If someone is such that they will never use anything from ATI (or anyone else for that matter) regardless of how it performs, that's their choice, and perhaps their loss. Business is business, and making money is what counts. Apparently they believe this will make them more money.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006

Need a hug?

Ya know, I really have little use for you after your pedophile comment. So much so, that I wont lower my self to responding to you anymore, but your response to bixplus was so foolish, I had to respond

So you think you know what an adult is. Do you call yourself an adult? Was your pedophile comment that of an adult?

So adults don’t turn their back on their word? Do you know who Ray Nagan is? The mayor of New Orleans. The same one who signed the city charter which stated that the mayor was responsible for evacuating the city in time of emergency. The same mayor who stated that it wasn’t his responsibility to evacuate the city during hurricane Katrina even when he had the charter he signed thrown up in his face.

So adults don’t turn their back on their word? Do you know who William Clinton is? He was the president who made a campaign promise to the US that he would have its troops out of Haiti. The same president who had the commanding officers of the units in Haiti tell their troops that they couldn’t tell anyone they were still in Haiti, because Clinton had promised to pull them out even though they were still there.

Shall I go on? No, I think anyone with an ounce of societal awareness has several dozen examples of their own and realize how preposterous your statement was.

Lets address the other half of your sentence now.

So adults don’t act in secret? Do you deny the existence of industrial espionage? Is this not acting in secret? By your logic, only children must commit industrial espionage. I guess they lied about their age on their employment applications.
Adults don’t act in secret? I guess there are no spies in the world.
Adults don’t act in secret? I guess the 9/11 terrorists were children, as I don’t seem to recall any news stories stating that these people identified themselves as terrorists when they applied to the flight schools in Florida. For that fact of the matter, based on your logic, no terrorists can be adults since no adults act in secret.

I cant say it any better than bixplus did, so I’ll quote him again for you.

Need a hug?

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
The only ramification of this that i know for sure is that ATi just lost an order for 20 million chipset parts. Dumbasses.

Nvidia would cost waaaaaay more than $6.8 billion.

Maybe AMD wants to try this?

I dunno, this whole thing is kind of an enigma. There's something to this. From all nominal points of view this is the dumbest thing ever.

Then again Ruiz is crazy. Crazy like a fox. NEVER put anything past that man, he's like a rogue genius that people throw money at just to see what he will do next.

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
I had lost faith in ATi
That means you no longer and support AMD, Omg it is the appoclipse. The world is coming to WWIII Everything Nostrodomus predicted is coming true and giving way to Einstiens Quote
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
now this. :eek: Baron matrix Lost hope int ATI and AMD 8O 8O 8O

gman01

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
I am an AMD / NVidia guy, so I am having the same bad reaction as most of you.... But Like BARON says - I will wait until monday to hear what AMD has to say about this merger.... I have to give them the benefit of the doubt until then, since they have not let me down for the past 6 years.... (Except giving up the lead to conroe temperaraly)

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
In reply to gman01 in hes first post. If that happens, it will be very expensive.

But here’s an idea. If motherboards had sockets for GPU and RAMS, we could upgrade them more easily – just like with the CPU. No more buying a whole video card!

But I’m with INeedCache: Business is business, and making money is what counts.

We can only hope that something good happens if this merger gets thru.