Dignosing bad processors

oshox

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
I was trying to find a way to tell the difference between a bad CPU and a bad motherboard.
I work at a service center that diagnoses and repairs computers. One of the more common problems we see is when a computer will not POST. A computer can be set up with only the power supply and CPU connected to a motherboard. When everytning is working, the computer will start up and begin to POST. The keyboard lights will flash and the motherboard will burp out the "No RAM" error code. The problem is when the motherboard powers on, and nothing else happens. Is there a way to see if the CPU is bad, besides having one of every socked CPU laying around that you can test with?

b_diddy_t

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
Typically, if your motherboard beeps, it means that your processor is ok.
That is to say, if you take out the processor, the motherboard won't beep.

Although its not a completely conclusive test, I've found that it's a very effective one. I have rarely seen a cpu that would be working enough for the mainboard to beep, but not enough for the computer not to post.

Plus, the odds of a faulty mainboard are much much higher than a cpu.

4Aces

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
You work in a service center and you do not even have different motherboards to try? Either one you swap should tell you what's wrong whether it's the motherboard or cpu you change. It's a pain yes but if you're not getting a beep of anykind then it's one or the other 9 out of 10 times.

rahul_cracker

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
man these damn errors may be also caused because of mismatch between ram speeds and damaged tracks on the motherboard and blah blah ..... . But at the test centre try different combinations .

>>I have not had an Intel CPU go out on me... this should get the AMD crowd rev'ed up ... but this was my experience. <<

Leave your son and another 12 year old in a locked, under ventelated 12 x 8 bedroom all day and on into an all nighter on a hot July day. Your Intel will meet it's maker real fast.