I am currently migrating from w2k to w2k3 domain. Both domains have trust
configured. I have migrated about half of my users and servers to the w2k3
domain.
The users still on the w2k domain are getting authentication errors when
connecting to shares on the servers currently in the w2k3 domain even though
they can resolve the server names.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Resolving names simply involves dns lookup so there isn't much of a big deal
there. What kind if erors? What are the clients? If they are win98 and
the w2k3 domain is in w2k3 native mode then the nodes will have trouble.

Post the errors and the clients.

"Big Daddy" <caddo65590@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I am currently migrating from w2k to w2k3 domain. Both domains have trust
> configured. I have migrated about half of my users and servers to the w2k3
> domain.
> The users still on the w2k domain are getting authentication errors when
> connecting to shares on the servers currently in the w2k3 domain even
though
> they can resolve the server names.
> Any ideas?
> Thanks

The error is "Logon Failure: The target account name is incorrect".
The clients are w2k pro and XP pro clients.
I realise that the w2k pro clients are the only ones having the problem.
They are all pointing to the same dns servers.

"Paul Bergson" <pbergson@allete.com> wrote in message
> Resolving names simply involves dns lookup so there isn't much of a big
deal
> there. What kind if erors? What are the clients? If they are win98 and
> the w2k3 domain is in w2k3 native mode then the nodes will have trouble.
>
> Post the errors and the clients.
>
> --
>

> Paul Bergson MCT, MCSE, MCSA, CNE, CNA, CCA

rights.

> "Big Daddy" <caddo65590@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I am currently migrating from w2k to w2k3 domain. Both domains have
trust
> > configured. I have migrated about half of my users and servers to the
w2k3
> > domain.
> > The users still on the w2k domain are getting authentication errors when
> > connecting to shares on the servers currently in the w2k3 domain even
> though
> > they can resolve the server names.
> > Any ideas?
> > Thanks

Recheck the dns setup and make sure the w2k setup is the same as the xp. Do
an nslookup on a machine that is able to connect and note the ip address.
Do another nslookup on a failing machine and again note the ip address to
see if the address is the same.

How about time sync is that correct? Could you have a dupe name issue
between the two domains?

> The error is "Logon Failure: The target account name is incorrect".
> The clients are w2k pro and XP pro clients.
> I realise that the w2k pro clients are the only ones having the problem.
> They are all pointing to the same dns servers.
>
> "Paul Bergson" <pbergson@allete.com> wrote in message
>> Resolving names simply involves dns lookup so there isn't much of a big
> deal
>> there. What kind if erors? What are the clients? If they are win98 and
>> the w2k3 domain is in w2k3 native mode then the nodes will have trouble.
>>
>> Post the errors and the clients.
>>
>> --
>>

>> Paul Bergson MCT, MCSE, MCSA, CNE, CNA, CCA

> rights.
>>

>> "Big Daddy" <caddo65590@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > I am currently migrating from w2k to w2k3 domain. Both domains have
> trust
>> > configured. I have migrated about half of my users and servers to the
> w2k3
>> > domain.
>> > The users still on the w2k domain are getting authentication errors
>> > when
>> > connecting to shares on the servers currently in the w2k3 domain even
>> though
>> > they can resolve the server names.
>> > Any ideas?
>> > Thanks

Hi Paul, I did the nslookup on both pc's and they are the same yet the w2k
pro clients are still having issues in mapping drives with netbios names
while the XP pro clients have no problems at all.
The time sync is exactly the same on all the pc's but what I did not
understand is the dupe name issue you mentioned.
This pc's are pc's that have not been migrated yet but are trying to connect
to shares on servers that have already been migrated.
This same users are also unable to connect to their home drives on servers
that have been migrated to the w2k3 domain with the users still in the w2k
domain.
Need help.
thanks
"Paul Bergson" <pbergson@allete_nospam.com> wrote in message
> Recheck the dns setup and make sure the w2k setup is the same as the xp.
Do
> an nslookup on a machine that is able to connect and note the ip address.
> Do another nslookup on a failing machine and again note the ip address to
> see if the address is the same.
>
> How about time sync is that correct? Could you have a dupe name issue
> between the two domains?
>
> --
>

> Paul Bergson MCT, MCSE, MCSA, CNE, CNA, CCA

rights.

> "Big Daddy" <caddo65590@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > The error is "Logon Failure: The target account name is incorrect".
> > The clients are w2k pro and XP pro clients.
> > I realise that the w2k pro clients are the only ones having the problem.
> > They are all pointing to the same dns servers.
> >
> > "Paul Bergson" <pbergson@allete.com> wrote in message
> >> Resolving names simply involves dns lookup so there isn't much of a big
> > deal
> >> there. What kind if erors? What are the clients? If they are win98
and
> >> the w2k3 domain is in w2k3 native mode then the nodes will have
trouble.

> >> Post the errors and the clients.
> >>
> >> --
> >>

> >> Paul Bergson MCT, MCSE, MCSA, CNE, CNA, CCA

> > rights.
> >>

> >> "Big Daddy" <caddo65590@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > trust
> > w2k3
> >> though

Alright how about WINS. NetBIOS names use WINS names not DNS. Do you have
a WINS Server defined that can refer to the machine in the w2k3 domain?

> Hi Paul, I did the nslookup on both pc's and they are the same yet the w2k
> pro clients are still having issues in mapping drives with netbios names
> while the XP pro clients have no problems at all.
> The time sync is exactly the same on all the pc's but what I did not
> understand is the dupe name issue you mentioned.
> This pc's are pc's that have not been migrated yet but are trying to
> connect
> to shares on servers that have already been migrated.
> This same users are also unable to connect to their home drives on servers
> that have been migrated to the w2k3 domain with the users still in the w2k
> domain.
> Need help.
> thanks
> "Paul Bergson" <pbergson@allete_nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Recheck the dns setup and make sure the w2k setup is the same as the xp.
> Do
>> an nslookup on a machine that is able to connect and note the ip address.
>> Do another nslookup on a failing machine and again note the ip address to
>> see if the address is the same.
>>
>> How about time sync is that correct? Could you have a dupe name issue
>> between the two domains?
>>
>> --
>>

>> Paul Bergson MCT, MCSE, MCSA, CNE, CNA, CCA

> rights.
>>

>> "Big Daddy" <caddo65590@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > The error is "Logon Failure: The target account name is incorrect".
>> > The clients are w2k pro and XP pro clients.
>> > I realise that the w2k pro clients are the only ones having the
>> > problem.
>> > They are all pointing to the same dns servers.
>> >
>> > "Paul Bergson" <pbergson@allete.com> wrote in message
>> > deal
> and
> trouble.

>> > rights.

>> > trust
>> > w2k3

Yes, they are all point to the same WINS server.
Why is it that the XP boxes have no problems and the W2K pro boxes have?
It just does not make sense.
Help
> Alright how about WINS. NetBIOS names use WINS names not DNS. Do you
have
> a WINS Server defined that can refer to the machine in the w2k3 domain?
>
> --
>

> Paul Bergson MCT, MCSE, MCSA, CNE, CNA, CCA

rights.

> "Big Daddy" <caddo65590@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Paul, I did the nslookup on both pc's and they are the same yet the
w2k
> > pro clients are still having issues in mapping drives with netbios names
> > while the XP pro clients have no problems at all.
> > The time sync is exactly the same on all the pc's but what I did not
> > understand is the dupe name issue you mentioned.
> > This pc's are pc's that have not been migrated yet but are trying to
> > connect
> > to shares on servers that have already been migrated.
> > This same users are also unable to connect to their home drives on
servers
> > that have been migrated to the w2k3 domain with the users still in the
w2k
> > domain.
> > Need help.
> > thanks
> > "Paul Bergson" <pbergson@allete_nospam.com> wrote in message
> >> Recheck the dns setup and make sure the w2k setup is the same as the
xp.
> > Do
> >> an nslookup on a machine that is able to connect and note the ip
address.
> >> Do another nslookup on a failing machine and again note the ip address
> >> see if the address is the same.
> >>
> >> How about time sync is that correct? Could you have a dupe name issue
> >> between the two domains?
> >>
> >> --
> >>

> >> Paul Bergson MCT, MCSE, MCSA, CNE, CNA, CCA

> > rights.
> >>

> >> "Big Daddy" <caddo65590@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > and
> > trouble.

I don't have an answer for you. I'm stumped

> Yes, they are all point to the same WINS server.
> Why is it that the XP boxes have no problems and the W2K pro boxes have?
> It just does not make sense.
> Help
> "Paul Bergson" <pbergson@allete_nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Alright how about WINS. NetBIOS names use WINS names not DNS. Do you
> have
>> a WINS Server defined that can refer to the machine in the w2k3 domain?
>>
>> --
>>

>> Paul Bergson MCT, MCSE, MCSA, CNE, CNA, CCA

> rights.
>>

>> "Big Daddy" <caddo65590@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi Paul, I did the nslookup on both pc's and they are the same yet the
> w2k
>> > pro clients are still having issues in mapping drives with netbios
>> > names
>> > while the XP pro clients have no problems at all.
>> > The time sync is exactly the same on all the pc's but what I did not
>> > understand is the dupe name issue you mentioned.
>> > This pc's are pc's that have not been migrated yet but are trying to
>> > connect
>> > to shares on servers that have already been migrated.
>> > This same users are also unable to connect to their home drives on
> servers
>> > that have been migrated to the w2k3 domain with the users still in the
> w2k
>> > domain.
>> > Need help.
>> > thanks
>> > "Paul Bergson" <pbergson@allete_nospam.com> wrote in message
> xp.
>> > Do
> address.

>> > rights.

> win98
>> > and
>> > trouble.

> have
> errors

Thanks Paul, I just figured it out.
After admt migration computer objects still remain in the old domain so I
was disabling them but that was not enough. I had to delete the objects
completely from the old domain to get proper resolution.
Thanks again

> I don't have an answer for you. I'm stumped
>
> --
>

> Paul Bergson MCT, MCSE, MCSA, CNE, CNA, CCA

rights.

> "Big Daddy" <caddo65590@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Yes, they are all point to the same WINS server.
> > Why is it that the XP boxes have no problems and the W2K pro boxes have?
> > It just does not make sense.
> > Help
> > "Paul Bergson" <pbergson@allete_nospam.com> wrote in message
> >> Alright how about WINS. NetBIOS names use WINS names not DNS. Do you
> > have
> >> a WINS Server defined that can refer to the machine in the w2k3 domain?
> >>
> >> --
> >>

> >> Paul Bergson MCT, MCSE, MCSA, CNE, CNA, CCA

> > rights.
> >>

> >> "Big Daddy" <caddo65590@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > w2k
> > servers
> > w2k
> > xp.
> > address.

> > win98

> > have
> > errors

Which makes sense, it sounds like it was still in the dns of the old domain.