Will this upgrade work? and well?

southsidehorizon

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2006
So I have a 478 motherboard (AGP) with a 6600gt. The gaming greatness of this computer is greatly killed by the 2.66 Celeron D processer. My dad just freed up a computer, and I want to use it for gaming.

This computer is another AGP computer but has an AMD ATHLON XP 3000+ proceser. I looked it up on Toms hardware and came to the conclusion that is it much faster than what I currently have ( i think).

So I was hoping to just transfer my ram, video card and Hard drives( so i dont have to reload a clean copy of windows) and save a hassle.

Is all I have to do simply that, or what would you all reccomend? I want to keep this loaded hard disk I already have and not scrap all I have installed.

You can salvage your hardware but not the software.

back up before making the switch over. use file and settings transfer wizard in windows xp. Back it up onto a cd or whatever you can. Backup anything else not in the "my documents" folder that you want also. backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup get my point?

Whenever you switch motherboards the chances of being able to boot up windows is pretty small. You can try and boot it up but if you get a blue screen, forget it. You'll have to start from scratch. Nothing you can do about it.

So I have a 478 motherboard (AGP) with a 6600gt. The gaming greatness of this computer is greatly killed by the 2.66 Celeron D processer. My dad just freed up a computer, and I want to use it for gaming.

This computer is another AGP computer but has an AMD ATHLON XP 3000+ proceser. I looked it up on Toms hardware and came to the conclusion that is it much faster than what I currently have ( i think).

So I was hoping to just transfer my ram, video card and Hard drives( so i dont have to reload a clean copy of windows) and save a hassle.

Is all I have to do simply that, or what would you all reccomend? I want to keep this loaded hard disk I already have and not scrap all I have installed.

Not always. When you install your motherboard drivers it looks for what chipset you have and installs the drivers for that chipset.

If the chipset version is drasticly different you will experience a blue screen.

Like if you take a p4p800 motherboard and replace it with something newer even though they are still intel you will experience a blue screen.

If they are closely related to each other like 965 vs 975 you might be able to get away with it.

But that doesn't matter because if you're running a legit copy of windows xp its going to pop up and say "hey wait a minute this is a different computer" and its going to ask you to activate it. You'll run into issues there. Worst case is call them up and get a new number to activate windows xp.

If the 478 and socket a board have the same brand of chipsets (via,sis, etc) you might get away with it. Or you can backup your old files with a program such as norton ghost, then format.

Leto_Atreides

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
Uh, the Athlon XP is a piece of crap, but so is that Celeron. I don't think the little upgrade is worth the hassle. However, if you really want an AMD system, get an Athlon 64.

rahul_cracker

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
hi
AMD is not exactly a piece of crap ,it's much better than a celeron(That's crap) and you will most probably have to reload windows again .You will have a much better system then

holcar

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
it's an athlon XP :|...

not worth it imo... have you overclocked your celeron at all?

If your really needing the performance then go for it... but try overclocking your celeron first. Also check 100% that the RAM works with that motherboard.

Falkirk107

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
i currently own a 2800+ running @ 2456mhz. and its keeping up with my friends athlon 64 3200+ in benchmarks. so i'll say go for the athlon xp. and by the way, just install a fresh copy of windows, it will be worth it. but remember to backup;-)

uk_gangsta

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006
Uh, the Athlon XP is a piece of crap, but so is that Celeron. I don't think the little upgrade is worth the hassle. However, if you really want an AMD system, get an Athlon 64.

The Athlon XP is GOOD stock, even better if you overclock it, my sempron 3000+ socket A will run games like oblivion fine, no need for any more power at the minute.

southsidehorizon

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2006
Thank you all, Ill give you an update eventually on the performance.

but as it is right now I have a

478 Celeron D at 2.66 GHz

1.5 Gig of ddr3200 ram

AGP Nvidia Geforce 6600Gt 128meg

Onboard sound

and I get good fps at medium-high settings for half-life 2 at 1024x768 with 4xAA. And medium-low settings for BF2 running the same with 4xAA.

Eviltwin17

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
your computer most likely does not support pc3200 ram which is what all relatively newer amd systems support. The mobo might be able to run pc 2700 but if you are still running pc2100 then you cant use the ram.