MS DNS redirect second level domain A record.

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
August 16, 2005 5:55:07 PM

How can I set up a second level domain to forward to a local IP address.
i.e.
http://myDomain.com/ would forward to a local IP address.

I want this domain name to resolve differently locally than it does
externally. It is currently set up properly externally via our ISP. But I
want our internal computers to be forwarded to an internal ip address. This
domain is different than the corporate AD domain, so I don't need this set up
as an AD domain. I just need the A record set up through DNS. (Currently it
resolves the address externally via our DNS server at the ISP)
August 17, 2005 1:15:08 PM

RRFreeman wrote:
> How can I set up a second level domain to forward to a local IP address.
> i.e.
> http://myDomain.com/ would forward to a local IP address.
>
> I want this domain name to resolve differently locally than it does
> externally. It is currently set up properly externally via our ISP. But I
> want our internal computers to be forwarded to an internal ip address. This
> domain is different than the corporate AD domain, so I don't need this set up
> as an AD domain. I just need the A record set up through DNS. (Currently it
> resolves the address externally via our DNS server at the ISP)

What is your internal Domain name? If it is different to the
external Domain name, then just create a new zone for
'mydomain.com' and add an A record.

If you have any sub-domains eg 'www.mydomain.com' that you
need access to from the LAN you will have add those as well.

Cheers,

Cliff

August 17, 2005 1:15:09 PM

They are different. The computers are in the AD domain InternalDomain.com.
I tried creating "myDomain.com" zone and adding an A record with no name and
with an "*" name, but this will only forward third-level addresses like:
http://www.myDomain.com/ or http://anything.myDomain.com/
They will not forward the second level address: http://myDomain.com/

"Enkidu" wrote:

> RRFreeman wrote:
> > How can I set up a second level domain to forward to a local IP address.
> > i.e.
> > http://myDomain.com/ would forward to a local IP address.
> >
> > I want this domain name to resolve differently locally than it does
> > externally. It is currently set up properly externally via our ISP. But I
> > want our internal computers to be forwarded to an internal ip address. This
> > domain is different than the corporate AD domain, so I don't need this set up
> > as an AD domain. I just need the A record set up through DNS. (Currently it
> > resolves the address externally via our DNS server at the ISP)
> >
> What is your internal Domain name? If it is different to the
> external Domain name, then just create a new zone for
> 'mydomain.com' and add an A record.
>
> If you have any sub-domains eg 'www.mydomain.com' that you
> need access to from the LAN you will have add those as well.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff
>
> --
>
> Barzoomian the Martian - http://barzoomian.blogspot.com

Related resources
August 17, 2005 11:41:13 PM

Mmm, I can't get to a DNS server at the moment, but you
should be able to create an A record with a blank host name
and an IP address.

Cheers,

Cliff

RRFreeman wrote:
> They are different. The computers are in the AD domain InternalDomain.com.
> I tried creating "myDomain.com" zone and adding an A record with no name and
> with an "*" name, but this will only forward third-level addresses like:
> http://www.myDomain.com/ or http://anything.myDomain.com/
> They will not forward the second level address: http://myDomain.com/
>
> "Enkidu" wrote:
>

>>RRFreeman wrote:
>>
>>>How can I set up a second level domain to forward to a local IP address.
>>>i.e.
>>>http://myDomain.com/ would forward to a local IP address.
>>>
>>>I want this domain name to resolve differently locally than it does
>>>externally. It is currently set up properly externally via our ISP. But I
>>>want our internal computers to be forwarded to an internal ip address. This
>>>domain is different than the corporate AD domain, so I don't need this set up
>>>as an AD domain. I just need the A record set up through DNS. (Currently it
>>>resolves the address externally via our DNS server at the ISP)
>>

>>What is your internal Domain name? If it is different to the
>>external Domain name, then just create a new zone for
>>'mydomain.com' and add an A record.
>>
>>If you have any sub-domains eg 'www.mydomain.com' that you
>>need access to from the LAN you will have add those as well.

August 17, 2005 11:41:14 PM

I tried that. It doesn't work.

!