MS DNS redirect second level domain A record.

How can I set up a second level domain to forward to a local IP address.
i.e.
http://myDomain.com/ would forward to a local IP address.

I want this domain name to resolve differently locally than it does
externally. It is currently set up properly externally via our ISP. But I
want our internal computers to be forwarded to an internal ip address. This
domain is different than the corporate AD domain, so I don't need this set up
as an AD domain. I just need the A record set up through DNS. (Currently it
resolves the address externally via our DNS server at the ISP)
4 answers Last reply
More about redirect level domain record

    RRFreeman wrote:
    > How can I set up a second level domain to forward to a local IP address.
    > i.e.
    > http://myDomain.com/ would forward to a local IP address.
    >
    > I want this domain name to resolve differently locally than it does
    > externally. It is currently set up properly externally via our ISP. But I
    > want our internal computers to be forwarded to an internal ip address. This
    > domain is different than the corporate AD domain, so I don't need this set up
    > as an AD domain. I just need the A record set up through DNS. (Currently it
    > resolves the address externally via our DNS server at the ISP)

    What is your internal Domain name? If it is different to the
    external Domain name, then just create a new zone for
    'mydomain.com' and add an A record.

    If you have any sub-domains eg 'www.mydomain.com' that you
    need access to from the LAN you will have add those as well.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    They are different. The computers are in the AD domain InternalDomain.com.
    I tried creating "myDomain.com" zone and adding an A record with no name and
    with an "*" name, but this will only forward third-level addresses like:
    http://www.myDomain.com/ or http://anything.myDomain.com/
    They will not forward the second level address: http://myDomain.com/

    "Enkidu" wrote:

    > RRFreeman wrote:
    > > How can I set up a second level domain to forward to a local IP address.
    > > i.e.
    > > http://myDomain.com/ would forward to a local IP address.
    > >
    > > I want this domain name to resolve differently locally than it does
    > > externally. It is currently set up properly externally via our ISP. But I
    > > want our internal computers to be forwarded to an internal ip address. This
    > > domain is different than the corporate AD domain, so I don't need this set up
    > > as an AD domain. I just need the A record set up through DNS. (Currently it
    > > resolves the address externally via our DNS server at the ISP)
    > >
    > What is your internal Domain name? If it is different to the
    > external Domain name, then just create a new zone for
    > 'mydomain.com' and add an A record.
    >
    > If you have any sub-domains eg 'www.mydomain.com' that you
    > need access to from the LAN you will have add those as well.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff
    >
    > --
    >
    > Barzoomian the Martian - http://barzoomian.blogspot.com

    Mmm, I can't get to a DNS server at the moment, but you
    should be able to create an A record with a blank host name
    and an IP address.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    RRFreeman wrote:
    > They are different. The computers are in the AD domain InternalDomain.com.
    > I tried creating "myDomain.com" zone and adding an A record with no name and
    > with an "*" name, but this will only forward third-level addresses like:
    > http://www.myDomain.com/ or http://anything.myDomain.com/
    > They will not forward the second level address: http://myDomain.com/
    >
    > "Enkidu" wrote:
    >

    >>RRFreeman wrote:
    >>
    >>>How can I set up a second level domain to forward to a local IP address.
    >>>i.e.
    >>>http://myDomain.com/ would forward to a local IP address.
    >>>
    >>>I want this domain name to resolve differently locally than it does
    >>>externally. It is currently set up properly externally via our ISP. But I
    >>>want our internal computers to be forwarded to an internal ip address. This
    >>>domain is different than the corporate AD domain, so I don't need this set up
    >>>as an AD domain. I just need the A record set up through DNS. (Currently it
    >>>resolves the address externally via our DNS server at the ISP)
    >>

    >>What is your internal Domain name? If it is different to the
    >>external Domain name, then just create a new zone for
    >>'mydomain.com' and add an A record.
    >>
    >>If you have any sub-domains eg 'www.mydomain.com' that you
    >>need access to from the LAN you will have add those as well.

    I tried that. It doesn't work.

    "Enkidu" wrote:

    > Mmm, I can't get to a DNS server at the moment, but you
    > should be able to create an A record with a blank host name
    > and an IP address.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff
    >
    > RRFreeman wrote:
    > > They are different. The computers are in the AD domain InternalDomain.com.
    > > I tried creating "myDomain.com" zone and adding an A record with no name and
    > > with an "*" name, but this will only forward third-level addresses like:
    > > http://www.myDomain.com/ or http://anything.myDomain.com/
    > > They will not forward the second level address: http://myDomain.com/

    > >>What is your internal Domain name? If it is different to the
    > >>external Domain name, then just create a new zone for
    > >>'mydomain.com' and add an A record.
    > >>
    > >>If you have any sub-domains eg 'www.mydomain.com' that you
    > >>need access to from the LAN you will have add those as well.
    > >>

    > --
    >
    > Barzoomian the Martian - http://barzoomian.blogspot.com

IP Address Domain Internet Service Providers Windows