Epsons designed to stop??

Mike

Splendid

Hi - I just had this statement emailed to me by somebody who ususally knows
about these things in a professional capacity:

"Epsons are built to stop functioning when the internal counter reaches a
certain number, and you do need to be aware of this. Many people aren't.!!"

I find this very hard to believe - is it true? I have owned Epsons for many
years and never had much trouble with them - but I have never kept one
single printer for very long because I keep upgrading, so I might not have
reached the "fatal" number of prints on one machine.

Cheers

"Mike" <noot1967@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi - I just had this statement emailed to me by somebody who ususally
> knows about these things in a professional capacity:
>
> "Epsons are built to stop functioning when the internal counter reaches a
> certain number, and you do need to be aware of this. Many people
> aren't.!!"
>
> I find this very hard to believe - is it true? I have owned Epsons for
> many years and never had much trouble with them - but I have never kept
> one single printer for very long because I keep upgrading, so I might not
> have reached the "fatal" number of prints on one machine.
>
> Cheers

Nothing unusual - they have a waste ink pad inside to catch the ink used
during cleaning cycles and when purging the printhead either when starting a
print job or when the ink carts have been changed.. when that waste ink pad
is full the printer stops working the pad is changed and the counter reset.
If that didn't happen you end up with ink spilling out all over your desk.

In the case of Epson printers its generally easy to reset the counter, but
getting to the waste ink pads to replace or clean them can be a tricky
process depending on the model.. and as far as I know Canon printers can't
be reset and have to be sent in for repair or simply thrown away.

davy

To add to Ron Cohen
The waste pad works by either a timer, timing the cleaning cycles, the
length of time the printer in use etc. and 'flags' an address line
within the CPU chip say's no more printing.

It is not just a matter of changing the high abosrbancy waste pad,
which is usually situated under the printer mechanism.

If this is the case you will need to run a programme to reset the
'flag' by inserting a code which is stated in the manual - thus
changing the pad is only minor part of the problem, if you had the
programme to put the printer in 'service mode' you can just reset the
CPU with out changing the pad - BUT THIS WOULD BE VERY MESSY AS THE
INK WOULD NOT HAVE NOWHERE TO GO.

But you do need to be sure that this is the problem, the service mode
will tell you all the status conditions of the printer.

Davy

Make that:

"when that waste ink pad is full the printer stops working UNTIL the pad is
changed and the counter reset. "

etc.

I don't think this means the printer has self destruct logic. I suspect what
he meant is that there is a counter for the ink cartridges which estimates
the number of droplets so as to prevent head damage from out of ink
conditions. Installation of fresh cartridges resets the counter.
Ron

"Mike" <noot1967@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi - I just had this statement emailed to me by somebody who ususally
> knows about these things in a professional capacity:
>
> "Epsons are built to stop functioning when the internal counter reaches a
> certain number, and you do need to be aware of this. Many people
> aren't.!!"
>
> I find this very hard to believe - is it true? I have owned Epsons for
> many years and never had much trouble with them - but I have never kept
> one single printer for very long because I keep upgrading, so I might not
> have reached the "fatal" number of prints on one machine.
>
> Cheers

shooter

I would say the person you say knows in fact has very little knowledge of
how Epson's work otherwise they would know about waste pads and why an Epson
has to be reset. Some people seem to think printers should run for ever and
ever without service. You say you have never kept a printer that long
because you upgraded, well that may also be true about Epson owners, having
said that there are of course users who require a high output from their
printers and it is this group that have to have machines reset even if they
replace the pads themselves, I would think that many other makes would have
given up completely well before an Epson requires a reset.

Shooter wrote:

>I would say the person you say knows in fact has very little knowledge of
>how Epson's work otherwise they would know about waste pads and why an Epson
>has to be reset. Some people seem to think printers should run for ever and
>ever without service. You say you have never kept a printer that long
>because you upgraded, well that may also be true about Epson owners, having
>said that there are of course users who require a high output from their
>printers and it is this group that have to have machines reset even if they
>replace the pads themselves, I would think that many other makes would have
>given up completely well before an Epson requires a reset.

These heavy users are probably using the wrong machine. I believe that
the new 2200 (I think or maybe the 7600) has a door in the side to pull
out and replace the pads as a consumable item like the ink is.

>"Mike" <noot1967@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>

>>Hi - I just had this statement emailed to me by somebody who ususally
>>

>knows
>

>>about these things in a professional capacity:
>>
>>"Epsons are built to stop functioning when the internal counter reaches a
>>certain number, and you do need to be aware of this. Many people
>>

>aren't.!!"
>

>>I find this very hard to believe - is it true? I have owned Epsons for
>>

>many
>

>>years and never had much trouble with them - but I have never kept one
>>single printer for very long because I keep upgrading, so I might not have
>>reached the "fatal" number of prints on one machine.
>>
>>Cheers

BURT

The code sequences are available on several web sites to reset many of the
Canon waste ink counters. Emptying the receptical, however is not easy to
do for non-technicians. people have reported resetting the counter without
emptying the recepticle at least once without mishaps. Check
http://www.neilslade.com/papers/inkjetstuff.html and
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/ for Canon code sequences or Google Canon
waste ink tank full. This info might be available for the Epsons - I'd
google it.

"Ivor Floppy" <Ivor@somewhere.uk> wrote in message

> "Mike" <noot1967@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Hi - I just had this statement emailed to me by somebody who ususally
>> knows about these things in a professional capacity:
>>
>> "Epsons are built to stop functioning when the internal counter reaches a
>> certain number, and you do need to be aware of this. Many people
>> aren't.!!"
>>
>> I find this very hard to believe - is it true? I have owned Epsons for
>> many years and never had much trouble with them - but I have never kept
>> one single printer for very long because I keep upgrading, so I might not
>> have reached the "fatal" number of prints on one machine.
>>
>> Cheers
>
> Nothing unusual - they have a waste ink pad inside to catch the ink used
> during cleaning cycles and when purging the printhead either when starting
> a print job or when the ink carts have been changed.. when that waste ink
> pad is full the printer stops working the pad is changed and the counter
> reset. If that didn't happen you end up with ink spilling out all over
> your desk.
>
> In the case of Epson printers its generally easy to reset the counter, but
> getting to the waste ink pads to replace or clean them can be a tricky
> process depending on the model.. and as far as I know Canon printers can't
> be reset and have to be sent in for repair or simply thrown away.

davy

Mike
You don't say what the model is, are the any error lights etc. If its
an Epson
it should give you an error message in the drivers window after
trying to print a document.

Ain't an C62 by any chance, they are designed to be clodded in the
middle of the Pacific - nah the trashbins too good.

Davy

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

All inkjets produce waste ink (in the same way laser printers produce waste
toner). This ink has to be stored somewhere other than in the printer mechanism
or on the paper. Different manufacturers handle this in different ways. Canon
and Epson use a similar system of storing the waste ink in a felt like pad,
often covering large areas of the printer base. The built in electronics
estimate when the pad is nearing saturation and this results in the deliberate
error message. Unfortunately Epson has in the past made this message somewhat
obscure. The replacement of the waste ink pad is a job for someone who is
technically experienced (especially in less recent models) and therefore they
do not readily make the reset code available, lest someone simply resets the
printer and does not replace the pad potentially resulting in ink all over the
place! The codes are however available from various sources on the internet;
use with care, most Epson printers will survive one reset without replacing the
pads but don't blame me if your printer floods your desk! Most HP inkjets have
cartridges with built in heads, these also produce waste which is stored in a
service station of various types, there is no count done by most HP's inkjets
so when the service station fills up the printhead carriage starts to
"bulldoze" the waste ink, spreading it in a fine spray over parts of the
printer, in severe cases ink actually starts to ooze from the printer base! HP
provides instructions on their website for emptying many of their printer
service stations. I suggest that anybody who has an older HP inkjet printer
checks out the website especially if the printer covers start to subtly change
colour around the head parking area (quite a subtle and slow change). It is a
big job to clean out any inkjet that has become badly contaminated with ink,
prevention is cheaper than cure!
Tony

"Mike" <noot1967@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>Hi - I just had this statement emailed to me by somebody who ususally knows
>about these things in a professional capacity:
>
>"Epsons are built to stop functioning when the internal counter reaches a
>certain number, and you do need to be aware of this. Many people aren't.!!"
>
>I find this very hard to believe - is it true? I have owned Epsons for many
>years and never had much trouble with them - but I have never kept one
>single printer for very long because I keep upgrading, so I might not have
>reached the "fatal" number of prints on one machine.
>
>Cheers

davy

Just to add.
The flashing lights quite rightly is usually a warning sign as stated
BUT what is not mentioned is that with modern printers there's usually
a message in the drivers window with a warning triangle or something.

But very little indication of the actual fault and the EPSON model has
not been given, we are only assuming that it is the waste pads as
described.

Mike say's that he has not had it for very long, again no indication
how long, we don't know the model, we don't know the symptoms and we
don't
even know the usage.

Just because it stopped printing don't say it's the waste pad

So, WE only know this guy say's so
without any further advice from this guy indicating very little
knowledge, the type of response you get from Customer Services and
not a Technical Department or a Printer Repair Technician.

Davy.

shooter

You can still get round the problem of waste pads by fitting a waste bottle.
When I say high volume users I refer mainly to CIS users. I am at a loss to
under stand what is the meaning of " using the wrong machine" a printer is a
printer and even if you take the less expensive end of the market most will
still print one photo after another.

> Shooter wrote:
>
> >I would say the person you say knows in fact has very little knowledge of
> >how Epson's work otherwise they would know about waste pads and why an
Epson
> >has to be reset. Some people seem to think printers should run for ever
and
> >ever without service. You say you have never kept a printer that long
> >because you upgraded, well that may also be true about Epson owners,
having
> >said that there are of course users who require a high output from their
> >printers and it is this group that have to have machines reset even if
they
> >replace the pads themselves, I would think that many other makes would
have
> >given up completely well before an Epson requires a reset.
> >

> These heavy users are probably using the wrong machine. I believe that
> the new 2200 (I think or maybe the 7600) has a door in the side to pull
> out and replace the pads as a consumable item like the ink is.
>

> >"Mike" <noot1967@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> >

> >>Hi - I just had this statement emailed to me by somebody who ususally
> >>

> >knows
> >

> >>about these things in a professional capacity:
> >>
> >>"Epsons are built to stop functioning when the internal counter reaches
> >>certain number, and you do need to be aware of this. Many people
> >>

> >aren't.!!"
> >

> >>I find this very hard to believe - is it true? I have owned Epsons for
> >>

> >many
> >

> >>years and never had much trouble with them - but I have never kept one
> >>single printer for very long because I keep upgrading, so I might not
have
> >>reached the "fatal" number of prints on one machine.
> >>
> >>Cheers

Yes, it is true. The number is called the protection number, and the
reason for it is that it is supposed to indicate that the waste ink pads
are full. I think this should be clearly stated in the manual or even
in a more obvious place. Most to the point, the printer should warn you
prior to this occurring and the actual reset and replacement of the ink
pads should be a user serviceable part.

Art

Mike wrote:

> Hi - I just had this statement emailed to me by somebody who ususally knows
> about these things in a professional capacity:
>
> "Epsons are built to stop functioning when the internal counter reaches a
> certain number, and you do need to be aware of this. Many people aren't.!!"
>
> I find this very hard to believe - is it true? I have owned Epsons for many
> years and never had much trouble with them - but I have never kept one
> single printer for very long because I keep upgrading, so I might not have
> reached the "fatal" number of prints on one machine.
>
> Cheers

Unfortunately, newer Epson printers no longer can be set by front panel
button presses, and require proprietary programs from Epson or elsewhere
to accomplish.

Art

Ivor Floppy wrote:

> Nothing unusual - they have a waste ink pad inside to catch the ink used
> during cleaning cycles and when purging the printhead either when starting a
> print job or when the ink carts have been changed.. when that waste ink pad
> is full the printer stops working the pad is changed and the counter reset.
> If that didn't happen you end up with ink spilling out all over your desk.
>
> In the case of Epson printers its generally easy to reset the counter, but
> getting to the waste ink pads to replace or clean them can be a tricky
> process depending on the model.. and as far as I know Canon printers can't
> be reset and have to be sent in for repair or simply thrown away.

No, this refers to the waste ink protection numbers. It does count
droplets or volume of ink estimated to be sent to the waste ink pads,
and when the number is reached, the printer becomes unable to
communicate with the computer anymore and the LEDS all flash.

Older Epson printers had a series of front panel button presses to reset
the EEPROM for this, the new ones need a service call. The pads
eventually do need replacement, and it is a messy and major dismantling
to have it done.

With moderate use, this number is not reached for several years.

Art

Ron Cohen wrote:

> I don't think this means the printer has self destruct logic. I suspect what
> he meant is that there is a counter for the ink cartridges which estimates
> the number of droplets so as to prevent head damage from out of ink
> conditions. Installation of fresh cartridges resets the counter.
> Ron
>
> "Mike" <noot1967@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>>Hi - I just had this statement emailed to me by somebody who ususally
>>knows about these things in a professional capacity:
>>
>>"Epsons are built to stop functioning when the internal counter reaches a
>>certain number, and you do need to be aware of this. Many people
>>aren't.!!"
>>
>>I find this very hard to believe - is it true? I have owned Epsons for
>>many years and never had much trouble with them - but I have never kept
>>one single printer for very long because I keep upgrading, so I might not
>>have reached the "fatal" number of prints on one machine.
>>
>>Cheers

davy

The pump system on many an Epson printer consist of a plastic tube the
far end connects to the waste pad. the pump end is situated, for
obvious reasons in the 'head park tray' just prior to where this is
connected it goes through a 'U' turn moulding, imagine a wheel with a
llittle bump or hammer on it rotating from a coupling from the paper
feed gears, as the wheel rotates the bump or hammer pushes against
the tube in a rotational manner, since the tube is being 'squashed'
in a 'U' formation causes the ink to be drawn through the tube by
suction.

With the Picture Mate, the waste could well be collected by the ink
cartridge as waste in a seperate chamber and then 'thrown out' with
the empty tank, why not with all printers?

Incidentally in a C80 this plastic tube is a common cause for bad
printing and clogged heads it has a habit of coming away from the
end of the head tray, causing ink to build and dry in the 'head
park'.

Davy

The 7600 is a 24" wide machine designed for poster sized prints and is
built for industrial use, using 110 and 220 ml ink cartridges, and
costing well over $1000.

These units (7600, 9600, 10000 series) do have a user serviceable waste
ink "box" but even that is chipped to require people to stick with an
Epson product. and to not reuse the old one.

This is one of my pet peeves with Epson printers.

As I have often said, I like certain things about Epsons and I hate

Arthur Entlich wrote:

> The 7600 is a 24" wide machine designed for poster sized prints and is
> built for industrial use, using 110 and 220 ml ink cartridges, and
> costing well over $1000.
>
> These units (7600, 9600, 10000 series) do have a user serviceable
> waste ink "box" but even that is chipped to require people to stick
> with an Epson product. and to not reuse the old one.
>
> This is one of my pet peeves with Epson printers.
>
> As I have often said, I like certain things about Epsons and I hate
> certain things about Epsons.

It seems that the things that are not in your favor have more to do with
the Corporation than with the product.

> Art
>
> measekite wrote:
>

>> Shooter wrote:
>>
>>> I would say the person you say knows in fact has very little
>>> knowledge of
>>> how Epson's work otherwise they would know about waste pads and why
>>> an Epson
>>> has to be reset. Some people seem to think printers should run for
>>> ever and
>>> ever without service. You say you have never kept a printer that long
>>> because you upgraded, well that may also be true about Epson owners,
>>> having
>>> said that there are of course users who require a high output from
>>> their
>>> printers and it is this group that have to have machines reset even
>>> if they
>>> replace the pads themselves, I would think that many other makes
>>> would have
>>> given up completely well before an Epson requires a reset.
>>>

>> These heavy users are probably using the wrong machine. I believe
>> that the new 2200 (I think or maybe the 7600) has a door in the side
>> to pull out and replace the pads as a consumable item like the ink is.
>>

>>> "Mike" <noot1967@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

>>> knows

>>> aren't.!!"

>>> many

I believe the one exception in the Epson line up of consumer printers is
the newer PictureMate model for 4x6" prints. It actually has the waste
ink area in the cartridge, so the ink is pumped out of the head nozzles
during cleaning cycles and then somehow pumped back into special
chambers in the ink cartridge, so when the cartridge runs out of ink,
the waste ink goes with it.

Art

Tony wrote:

> All inkjets produce waste ink (in the same way laser printers produce waste
> toner). This ink has to be stored somewhere other than in the printer mechanism
> or on the paper. Different manufacturers handle this in different ways. Canon
> and Epson use a similar system of storing the waste ink in a felt like pad,
> often covering large areas of the printer base. The built in electronics
> estimate when the pad is nearing saturation and this results in the deliberate
> error message. Unfortunately Epson has in the past made this message somewhat
> obscure. The replacement of the waste ink pad is a job for someone who is
> technically experienced (especially in less recent models) and therefore they
> do not readily make the reset code available, lest someone simply resets the
> printer and does not replace the pad potentially resulting in ink all over the
> place! The codes are however available from various sources on the internet;
> use with care, most Epson printers will survive one reset without replacing the
> pads but don't blame me if your printer floods your desk! Most HP inkjets have
> cartridges with built in heads, these also produce waste which is stored in a
> service station of various types, there is no count done by most HP's inkjets
> so when the service station fills up the printhead carriage starts to
> "bulldoze" the waste ink, spreading it in a fine spray over parts of the
> printer, in severe cases ink actually starts to ooze from the printer base! HP
> provides instructions on their website for emptying many of their printer
> service stations. I suggest that anybody who has an older HP inkjet printer
> checks out the website especially if the printer covers start to subtly change
> colour around the head parking area (quite a subtle and slow change). It is a
> big job to clean out any inkjet that has become badly contaminated with ink,
> prevention is cheaper than cure!
> Tony
>
> "Mike" <noot1967@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>Hi - I just had this statement emailed to me by somebody who ususally knows
>>about these things in a professional capacity:
>>
>>"Epsons are built to stop functioning when the internal counter reaches a
>>certain number, and you do need to be aware of this. Many people aren't.!!"
>>
>>I find this very hard to believe - is it true? I have owned Epsons for many
>>years and never had much trouble with them - but I have never kept one
>>single printer for very long because I keep upgrading, so I might not have
>>reached the "fatal" number of prints on one machine.
>>
>>Cheers

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

Thanks Art
I wasn't aware of that; a clever solution..
Tony

On Wed, 18 May 2005 17:33:05 +0100, "Mike" <noot1967@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Hi - I just had this statement emailed to me by somebody who ususally knows
>about these things in a professional capacity:
>
>"Epsons are built to stop functioning when the internal counter reaches a
>certain number, and you do need to be aware of this. Many people aren't.!!"

Yes when the Soak Pad is Full, but that can be Reset, its very normal, you are
suposted to replace thwe Soak Pads and reset the Printer, not a user thing.

>I find this very hard to believe - is it true? I have owned Epsons for many
>years and never had much trouble with them - but I have never kept one
>single printer for very long because I keep upgrading, so I might not have
>reached the "fatal" number of prints on one machine.
>
>Cheers

shooter

If the waste pad is full and requires replacing and the machine resetting
the figure is measured in points. One can reset on say an Epson 2200 if the
points are 40.000 or less if like my machine the points are 50.000 plus then
you have to replace the pads before resetting, if the points reach 60.000
then it's time to replace anyway. I have had my 2100 some three years and in
another 7000 points they will have to be changed, or I can fit a waste
bottle and reset. the above figures are generated in Epson printer
adjustment program. It is not that hard to fit new pads but it's far better
in my opinion to fit a waste bottle and a must if you consider using a CIS.

In article <d6j2fq$oh3$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com>,
photoman52003-shoot@yahoo.co.uk (Shooter) wrote:

> ...the above figures are generated in Epson printer adjustment program.

Is this a generally available piece of software? If so, where can it be
found, please?

Jon.

Tony schrieb:

> All inkjets produce waste ink (in the same way laser printers produce waste
> toner). This ink has to be stored somewhere other than in the printer mechanism
> or on the paper. Different manufacturers handle this in different ways. Canon
> and Epson use a similar system of storing the waste ink in a felt like pad,
> often covering large areas of the printer base. The built in electronics
> estimate when the pad is nearing saturation and this results in the deliberate
> error message. Unfortunately Epson has in the past made this message somewhat
> obscure. The replacement of the waste ink pad is a job for someone who is
> technically experienced (especially in less recent models) and therefore they
> do not readily make the reset code available, lest someone simply resets the
> printer and does not replace the pad potentially resulting in ink all over the
> place! The codes are however available from various sources on the internet;
> use with care, most Epson printers will survive one reset without replacing the
> pads but don't blame me if your printer floods your desk! Most HP inkjets have
> cartridges with built in heads, these also produce waste which is stored in a
> service station of various types, there is no count done by most HP's inkjets
> so when the service station fills up the printhead carriage starts to
> "bulldoze" the waste ink, spreading it in a fine spray over parts of the
> printer, in severe cases ink actually starts to ooze from the printer base! HP
> provides instructions on their website for emptying many of their printer
> service stations. I suggest that anybody who has an older HP inkjet printer
> checks out the website especially if the printer covers start to subtly change
> colour around the head parking area (quite a subtle and slow change). It is a
> big job to clean out any inkjet that has become badly contaminated with ink,
> prevention is cheaper than cure!
> Tony
>
> "Mike" <noot1967@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> >Hi - I just had this statement emailed to me by somebody who ususally knows
> >about these things in a professional capacity:
> >
> >"Epsons are built to stop functioning when the internal counter reaches a
> >certain number, and you do need to be aware of this. Many people aren't.!!"
> >
> >I find this very hard to believe - is it true? I have owned Epsons for many
> >years and never had much trouble with them - but I have never kept one
> >single printer for very long because I keep upgrading, so I might not have
> >reached the "fatal" number of prints on one machine.
> >
> >Cheers

Don´t worry ! There won´t be "ink all over ther place", because printer inks are more or
less pure water with very small amounts of water-soluble dyes and other additives. So
what happens to the ink absorbed by the felt is that the water will evaporate within
hours leaving the felt as dry behind as before. Don´t care for the dye residues !!
Herb Henkler