WINS: 2 Hostnames, 1 IP

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

In WINS can there be two records for 1 IP so that I can access \server1 as
\\downtown also? Server1 registered and I could add a static mapping for the
same IP for "downtown" but when I tried to access the server as \\downtown
it reported a duplicate name existed on the network.

Thanks

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 15:12:20 -0700, ZLorca wrote:

> In WINS can there be two records for 1 IP so that I can access \server1 as
> \\downtown also? Server1 registered and I could add a static mapping for the
> same IP for "downtown" but when I tried to access the server as \\downtown
> it reported a duplicate name existed on the network.
>
> Thanks
See this:

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinNT/Q_20410956.html

I have done this exact process with about a dozen servers as part of a
minimal downtime upgrade about two years ago, and they've been chugging
along just peachy since then, responding to both server names without a
hitch.

The caveat is that printer shares cannot be used on the alias.

Brian K

ZLorca <zlorca2004@yahoo.com> wrote:
> In WINS can there be two records for 1 IP so that I can access
> \server1 as \\downtown also? Server1 registered and I could add a
> static mapping for the same IP for "downtown" but when I tried to
> access the server as \\downtown it reported a duplicate name existed
> on the network.

This will fix you up:
281308 - Connecting to SMB share on a Windows 2000-based computer or a
Windows Server 2003-based computer may not work with an alias name:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;281308

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

"Brian K" <keenerb@roleplayga.org> wrote in message
> http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinNT/Q_20410956.html
>
> I have done this exact process with about a dozen servers as part of a..

I'd like to try but don't have access to the paid section of
experts-exchange so if you could send to the group that would be great,
thanks.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

I added a cname for dowtown, made the registry change, and restarted the
server. I try to access \\downtown but still receive the error "You were not
connected because a duplicate name exists on the network". \\downtown is a
2003 server but is not a dns server.

Any ideas?

"Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> wrote in message
> ZLorca <zlorca2004@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> In WINS can there be two records for 1 IP so that I can access
>> \server1 as \\downtown also? Server1 registered and I could add a
>> static mapping for the same IP for "downtown" but when I tried to
>> access the server as \\downtown it reported a
> 281308 - Connecting to SMB share on a Windows 2000-based computer or a
> Windows Server 2003-based computer may not work with an alias name:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;281308
>

> --
> Best regards,
> Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
> Hope This Helps
> ===================================
> ===================================
> http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
> ===================================
> It will strip signature out and more
> ===================================
> with OEBackup:
> ===================================

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

ZLorca <zlorca2004@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I added a cname for dowtown, made the registry change, and restarted
> the server. I try to access \\downtown but still receive the error
> "You were not connected because a duplicate name exists on the
> network". \\downtown is a 2003 server but is not a dns server.

Those registry changes do work and you make them on the server you are
trying to access by the alias.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
===================================
===================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
===================================
It will strip signature out and more
===================================
with OEBackup:
===================================

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

In news:de0hi6013c9@news1.newsguy.com,
ZLorca <zlorca2004@yahoo.com> made this post, which I then commented about
below:
> I added a cname for dowtown, made the registry change, and restarted
> the server. I try to access \\downtown but still receive the error
> "You were not connected because a duplicate name exists on the
> network". \\downtown is a 2003 server but is not a dns server.
>
> Any ideas?

You mean you want two NetBIOS names connecting to the same IP? Is the cname
the same as the NetBIOS name? I can see that causing dupe problems.

Maybe this may help. But you will still need the entry Kevin mentioned:

How can I define multiple NetBIOS names for a machine:
http://www.windows2000faq.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=14475

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

=================================

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

You don't need it - scroll down to see the answers.

"ZLorca" <zlorca2004@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Brian K" <keenerb@roleplayga.org> wrote in message
>> http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinNT/Q_20410956.html
>>
>> I have done this exact process with about a dozen servers as part of a..
>
> I'd like to try but don't have access to the paid section of
> experts-exchange so if you could send to the group that would be great,
> thanks.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

Oh, that's embarrassing. But best of all, it worked. You don't need to
restart the server, just the Server service.

Thanks much Brian and Richard. I owe you a beer if you ever get to San
Francisco.

> You don't need it - scroll down to see the answers.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

"Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" > Those registry changes do work and you
make them on the server you are
> trying to access by the alias.

They didn't work for me but the solution Ace and Brian suggested did. Thanks
much, folks, really cool of you.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

Glad I could help you ... ah, that is ... find the answer. ;-)

In news:de2o1702lvk@news4.newsguy.com,
ZLorca <zlorca2004@yahoo.com> made this post, which I then commented about
below:
> "Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" > Those registry changes do work and
> you make them on the server you are
>> trying to access by the alias.
>
> They didn't work for me but the solution Ace and Brian suggested did.
> Thanks much, folks, really cool of you.

NO problem.

Curious, did you leave the reg entry Kevin suggested along with what Brian
in the other thread, and I mentioned?

Ace

In news:%23ALf7YFpFHA.1044@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Ace Fekay [MVP] <PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com>
made this post, which I then commented about below:

> Curious, did you leave the reg entry Kevin suggested along with what
> Brian in the other thread, and I mentioned?

I meant this thread.