Domain-level Crash

Hi All,

Wanting to ask a few questions of the extremely knowledgeable!!

The company where I am employed recently migrated to AD. (I have been
involved with AD before starting here.)

This is a national company with multiple sites but are seperate businesses
that are under the one umbrella company. (hope this makes sense).

Each site was a seperate domain before migration, but have now been
collapsed into one.

AD STRUCTURE
Top level domain container, with working sub domain underneath. Each site
has either one or two DC's(GC's)

I agreed with the principle of the One Domain Model, but after some issues
we had a few weeks ago, i am slightly now concerned if there was a unforeseen
"domain wide crash".

In the industry we are in, time is not a resource we have. If there was a
catastrophic disaster at the highest level, at the wrong time of day, i
wonder if there would be enough time to recover.

What i want to know is if there has been anyone out there that has:

1. Suffered a domain wide problem that extremely effected all other sites?
2. If yes, was or was not recoverable?
3. If Domain had to be rebuilt?
4. What effect was there on other sites?
5. How long did rebuild or fix take?

I know transferring and siezing roles will suffice with most problems. I
rather want to know about any incident that required extreme measures with
major disruptions to other sites.

I am slightly concerned that there was no risk analisys done before the
migration was implemented. Also, I think we are ill prepared to deal with it
at the moment.

If there is any possibility of a disaster, no matter how slight, that could
extremely effect all sites, this has not been taken into consideration. If
this is the case, this one domain model is, definately, not the correct model
for this company.

Your thoughts would be apprecitated.

Drumdave

enkidu

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2002

drumdave wrote:

> I agreed with the principle of the One Domain Model,
> but after some issues we had a few weeks ago, i am
> slightly now concerned if there was a unforeseen
> "domain wide crash".

The distributed nature of AD means that there is no
occurrence that could cause a Domain-wide crash.

Cheers,

Cliff

Thanks, good to know.

Just one question.