Active Directory and Exchange

I have run the Exchange Best Practice Analyzer tool on our exchange server
and half way down the list I am getting the error Active Directory Server
cannot be contacted. The DSAccess Process on server reports that AD server
is not functional.

The Exchange server is in a different domain to the server that it is
reporting it can not talk too but the non responing server is the core forest
server.

What is the best way of troubleshooting this? Also what ports are needed to
be open on the firewall as this could be an issue.

Thanks in advance.

You can use portqry to help learn open ports
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310456

Port requirements
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;280132

Port unable to contact the dc is a good possibility.