dsadd user, problems, I am depressed now

This is driving me nuts! I took dsadd.exe from a 2003 server and copied it
into the system32 directory on a 2000 SP4 server. I am trying to create a
user from the command line. My syntax is like so, mainly I am doing a
simplified test run to test functionality, then I would rewrite my syntax to
specify the right OU and other options.

I'm trying to create a user named max (will use fictional stuff for the
purpose of my post), in my domain named "domain", in the users OU.

dsadd user "CN=Max,OU=Users,DC=domain,DC=com"

it always returns "The parameter is incorrect."

What am I doing wrong?
4 answers Last reply
More about dsadd user problems depressed

    "Users" is a CN not an OU

    --
    /kj
    "Mostro" <oveloz@glasfloss.com> wrote in message
    > This is driving me nuts! I took dsadd.exe from a 2003 server and copied
    > it into the system32 directory on a 2000 SP4 server. I am trying to
    > create a user from the command line. My syntax is like so, mainly I am
    > doing a simplified test run to test functionality, then I would rewrite my
    > syntax to specify the right OU and other options.
    >

    > I'm trying to create a user named max (will use fictional stuff for the
    > purpose of my post), in my domain named "domain", in the users OU.
    >

    > dsadd user "CN=Max,OU=Users,DC=domain,DC=com"
    >

    > it always returns "The parameter is incorrect."
    >

    > What am I doing wrong?

    one thing I've noticed is that on my server 2003 I can create an OU using
    "dsadd OU", and I can also create one in Server 2000 (they are on different
    domains, the 2k3 server is a test domain)

    on the 2003 server I can create a user using "dsadd user", but I cannot on
    the 2000 server

    why would I be able to in server 2003, but not in server 2000?

    also, I am trying this so that I might create a script to automate the
    creation of users, not for large batches but just to make things easier, am
    I going about this all wrong, is their a better way to accomplish that?

    "Mostro" <oveloz@glasfloss.com> wrote in message
    > This is driving me nuts! I took dsadd.exe from a 2003 server and copied
    > it into the system32 directory on a 2000 SP4 server. I am trying to
    > create a user from the command line. My syntax is like so, mainly I am
    > doing a simplified test run to test functionality, then I would rewrite my
    > syntax to specify the right OU and other options.
    >

    > I'm trying to create a user named max (will use fictional stuff for the
    > purpose of my post), in my domain named "domain", in the users OU.
    >

    > dsadd user "CN=Max,OU=Users,DC=domain,DC=com"
    >

    > it always returns "The parameter is incorrect."
    >

    > What am I doing wrong?

    This guy has gone through the effort with examples.

    http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/Logon/DSadd_add_user.htm#DSadd

    "Mostro" <oveloz@glasfloss.com> wrote in message
    > This is driving me nuts! I took dsadd.exe from a 2003 server and copied
    > it into the system32 directory on a 2000 SP4 server. I am trying to
    > create a user from the command line. My syntax is like so, mainly I am
    > doing a simplified test run to test functionality, then I would rewrite my
    > syntax to specify the right OU and other options.
    >

    > I'm trying to create a user named max (will use fictional stuff for the
    > purpose of my post), in my domain named "domain", in the users OU.
    >

    > dsadd user "CN=Max,OU=Users,DC=domain,DC=com"
    >

    > it always returns "The parameter is incorrect."
    >

    > What am I doing wrong?

    dsadd user "CN=Max,CN=Users,DC=domain,DC=com"

    But it really should be

    dsadd user "CN=Maximillion Smith,CN=Users,DC=domain,DC=com" -samid Max -upn Max@YourDomain.com -fn Maximillion-ln Smith -display "Maximillion Smith" ..............

    On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 14:08:53 -0500, "Mostro" <oveloz@glasfloss.com> wrote:

    >This is driving me nuts! I took dsadd.exe from a 2003 server and copied it
    >into the system32 directory on a 2000 SP4 server. I am trying to create a
    >user from the command line. My syntax is like so, mainly I am doing a
    >simplified test run to test functionality, then I would rewrite my syntax to
    >specify the right OU and other options.
    >

    >I'm trying to create a user named max (will use fictional stuff for the
    >purpose of my post), in my domain named "domain", in the users OU.
    >

    >dsadd user "CN=Max,OU=Users,DC=domain,DC=com"
    >

    >it always returns "The parameter is incorrect."
    >

    >What am I doing wrong?

Domain Active Directory Windows