Samsung May Release Galaxy S2 Plus in 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
Why release this? Why not simply make the GS3 a discount phone when the GS4 comes out, much the same way apple does with the iPhones.

This phone won't even work as a prepaid, unless it wants to retail for like $200 off contract (highly doubtful), since the Nexus 4 is only $300.

freiheitner

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
I would probably buy an "S2 Plus" with a 4.5" 540x960 display if it were available right now, but in what could be as much as 4 months from now, no. By that time I'll have either bought an S3 or a Note 2. Perhaps this rumored S2 Plus is for emerging markets, similar to the S3 Mini, but then those 2 devices would be in competition with one another for the mid-range space. Very odd.

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
[citation][nom]SneakySnake[/nom]Why release this? Why not simply make the GS3 a discount phone when the GS4 comes out, much the same way apple does with the iPhones. This phone won't even work as a prepaid, unless it wants to retail for like $200 off contract (highly doubtful), since the Nexus 4 is only $300.[/citation]
I can see them releasing GS2 for 199.99 off contract. The Nexus One was on sale for like 89.99 recently off contract and that phone came out in 2010. GS2 came out about a year after Nexus One. So if they release GS2 Plus in 2013, they can price it at 199.99 off contract.

To me, it seems like a decent move. They are hitting a niche market of prepaid, people who need to get a decent smartphone to replace their broken phones until they can be eligible for a upgrade, and rising markets like China and India. I can see Samsung easily hitting 7 digit sales with this phone and making around 20-30 dollars profit per unit sold.

G

[Why release this? Why not simply make the GS3 a discount phone when the GS4 comes out, much the same way apple does with the iPhones.]

The reason why Samsung keeps doing this is because Apple keep adding devices to their lawsuit and it will affect Samsung badly if all their devices are banned. By keep introducing new models Samsung is able to make sure there are at least some models selling in the USA market when they lost the lawsuits. You can all thank Apple for that.

seinfeld

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
This doesn't compute. Samsung have made some bad product creation choices lately. there is a windows phone that is basically a S3 chassis. but underneath its a totally diff board, and slower chips etc. If I was designing. I would have just made the S3 exaclty. then just install windows 8. but instead new logic board. dual core and slower.

and now they are doing another S2. so now they have the Std S2. then they did a S2 with 4G and now another! the S2 with 4G was as far as it should of gone.

seinfeld

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
They have great choices already
Galaxy E1170 this is non touch screen old school brick (perfect for kids)
Galaxy ace (basic smart ph)
The Note and note 2
Then the Galaxy S2 in normal and 4 G versions
Now they have a galaxy S3 one with 4G one without.
that is why another S2 was pointless.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]SneakySnake[/nom]Why release this? Why not simply make the GS3 a discount phone when the GS4 comes out, much the same way apple does with the iPhones. This phone won't even work as a prepaid, unless it wants to retail for like $200 off contract (highly doubtful), since the Nexus 4 is only $300.[/citation]

Samsung has to copy Apple right? Remember Apple came out with the 8GB iPhone 4 after the 4S's release. Well Samsung has done the exact same thing with their flagship phone, all though their timing isn't as good (S3 been out for a long time and S4 rumours are circling) and their marketing isn't as good.

At least when the 4S came out and had the new iOS, all versions of the 4 supported the new iOS.
Too bad the S2 is still not on 4.1, that's really sad and pathetic support by Samsung.

vilenjan

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010
Its all about screen sizes. Newer Galaxy's keep getting bigger, so they need something for those of us who dont need a 5 inch display on the GS4. A 4 inch (4.3 at most) SAMOLED+ QHD would rock!!

epdm2be

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
[citation][nom]seinfeld[/nom]This doesn't compute. Samsung have made some bad product creation choices lately. there is a windows phone that is basically a S3 chassis. but underneath its a totally diff board, and slower chips etc. If I was designing. I would have just made the S3 exaclty. then just install windows 8. but instead new logic board. dual core and slower.and now they are doing another S2. so now they have the Std S2. then they did a S2 with 4G and now another! the S2 with 4G was as far as it should of gone.[/citation]

What do you expect. It's Samsung. That company has no vision, they only flood the market with consumer products. They only care that you buy stuff with their logo, it doesn't matter if you want a TV, smartphone or microwave, it doesn't matter that the phone uses Android, WP or Bada.

Samsung is the whore of the consumer industry, blindly producing subpar equipment (sometimes at premium prices). Giving the illusion that they have premium quality products. In the early 90's we knew that korean products were inferior to their japanese counterparts but twenty years later we are all led to believe that they produce the best consumer products. It's a joke! Just like this SGS S2 plus and SGS III mini.

seinfeld

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
[citation][nom]vilenjan[/nom]Its all about screen sizes. Newer Galaxy's keep getting bigger, so they need something for those of us who dont need a 5 inch display on the GS4. A 4 inch (4.3 at most) SAMOLED+ QHD would rock!![/citation]

what is QHD?

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]vilenjan[/nom]Its all about screen sizes. Newer Galaxy's keep getting bigger, so they need something for those of us who dont need a 5 inch display on the GS4. A 4 inch (4.3 at most) SAMOLED+ QHD would rock!![/citation]

They came out with the S3 mini, which is a piece of crap. No sense in coming out with an S2 at this junction. They have the S3, S3 mini, and S4 soon to be released and now they decided to offer a new S2?

If Apple came out with a new iPhone 4 at this junction all the Android Fanboys would write 1.6 billion comments trashing them, saying its lacks innovation and its a cash grab.

bobbybamf12

Honorable
May 15, 2012
They came out with the S3 mini, which is a piece of crap. No sense in coming out with an S2 at this junction. They have the S3, S3 mini, and S4 soon to be released and now they decided to offer a new S2?

If Apple came out with a new iPhone 4 at this junction all the Android Fanboys would write 1.6 billion comments trashing them, saying its lacks innovation and its a cash grab.

pretty sure everyone is sayint that already...

grimworld

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012
I really like my S2 and with neverending releases of custom roms I can always count on new tweaks and upgrades to the phones software and function. Even so when compared to my friends S3 with stock rom, my S2 is faster in many actions running custom RR 3.1.2 JB rom.

I think for my taste the screen size on S2 is perfect so I will be looking forward for any more news about Samsung Galaxy S2 Plus :)

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Makes sense to have several handsets on the go, no such thing as one size fits all and for those that can't quite get with the SGS3 size they can still get some Samsung lovin'
That's why Samsung sell more smartphones than anyone else, diversity, just like people

Status
Not open for further replies.