Which DNS should a domain controller point to?

I have two DCs. One is the root, the other a regular DC. On the
regular DC, do I just point the DNS of the TCPIP properties on the NIC
back the forest DC? Not to itself? Thanks.

enkidu

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2002

needin4mation@gmail.com wrote:

> I have two DCs. One is the root, the other a
> regular DC. On the regular DC, do I just point
> the DNS of the TCPIP properties on the NIC
> back the forest DC? Not to itself? Thanks.

DNS is independant of Active Directory. AD just uses DNS. It
doesn't matter where the DNS servers are, so long as the
systems in the Forest can find them. That said, most people
would have the root DNS servers on the root AD Domain
servers and so on.

Having got THAT off my chest, I assume that the "regular DC"
has DNS installed. Otherwise the question does not make
sense - you would just set the DNS properties to the "root"
DC's DNS server.

If the "regular" DC is also a DNS server, then I would
"cross-connect them. I would set the "root" DC's NIC TCP/IP
DNS properties to point to itself first and the "regular" DC
's DNS server second. And similarly for the "regular" DC -
set its NIC TCP/IP DNS properties to point to itself first
and the "root" DC's DNS server second.

I don't understand what you mean by "root" and "regular" DCs
by the way. Also, you seem to assume that a DC always has
DNS installed. This is neither necessary not true.

Cheers,

Cliff

TRENDING THREADS