AMD price drops and where is the 5000+?

Crusing around last night for upgarde choices I found that AMDs price drop are now in effect. The FX62 is now under $800. The most interesting thing though is the conspicuous absence of the 5000+.

After looking ll over, Newegg, Monarch, zipzoomfly, etc. I can not find one in the retail channel. I thought it really funny but then I thought about two interesting tidbits.

1) The Inq reported some time ago that AMD was hording chips for Dell.

2) 5000+ is an FX61 for maybe $282

This led me to go to VooDooPC and lo and behold there was the 5000+ available for systems with no delay.

Alienware has it also but it will cause a delay (Dell wants them first?). The FX 62 is readily available everywhere as of now as is every other X2 and Sempron.

Maybe this gives a little credence to my Poll about 5000+ being the chip to beat. After all, there are now 33 nForce 4 or 5xx mobos available for AM2 on Newegg. Some are as low as $62.

That makes a really powerful system for under $400 with 1 GB of RAM pushing it to $500. Since all inexpensive nForce mobos have onboard video, you have the whole system including HD for $600, RETAIL.

8O
6 answers Last reply
More about price drops 5000
  1. Quote:
    Crusing around last night for upgarde choices I found that AMDs price drop are now in effect. The FX62 is now under $800. The most interesting thing though is the conspicuous absence of the 5000+.

After looking ll over, Newegg, Monarch, zipzoomfly, etc. I can not find one in the retail channel. I thought it really funny but then I thought about two interesting tidbits.

This led me to go to VooDooPC and lo and behold there was the 5000+ available for systems with no delay.

Alienware has it also but it will cause a delay (Dell wants them first?). The FX 62 is readily available everywhere as of now as is every other X2 and Sempron.

Maybe this gives a little credence to my Poll about 5000+ being the chip to beat. After all, there are now 33 nForce 4 or 5xx mobos available for AM2 on Newegg. Some are as low as $62.

That makes a really powerful system for under $400 with 1 GB of RAM pushing it to $500. Since all inexpensive nForce mobos have onboard video, you have the whole system including HD for $600, RETAIL.

8O
    Maybe it nullifies your arguement about getting the 5000+ vs an E6600 due to availability. :P
  2. Quote:

8O
    Maybe it nullifies your arguement about getting the 5000+ vs an E6600 due to availability. :P

Maybe he is saying Dell was smart in getting the best price/performance chip out there.
  3. Quote:
    Maybe it nullifies your arguement about getting the 5000+ vs an E6600 due to availability.

No realy sure what you mean. I was making a point about where the 5000+ can be had RIGHT NOW.

I did say that places like VooDooPC would snatch them up at even under $500. $282? They will be sold out through builders. I'm checking HP and ABS and a few other places.

I'll let you know.
  4. Quote:
    Maybe it nullifies your arguement about getting the 5000+ vs an E6600 due to availability.

No realy sure what you mean. I was making a point about where the 5000+ can be had RIGHT NOW.

I did say that places like VooDooPC would snatch them up at even under $500. $282? They will be sold out through builders. I'm checking HP and ABS and a few other places.

I'll let you know.You always bring up availability as far as Conroe goes, and that you can get a 5000+ right now.But now you're saying that you can't find any in stock, so availability is a moot point now in the 5000+ vs. e6600 arena. That just leaves performance and performance/$. That's where the E6600 wins.
  5. Quote:

I'll let you know.You always bring up availability as far as Conroe goes, and that you can get a 5000+ right now.But now you're saying that you can't find any in stock, so availability is a moot point now in the 5000+ vs. e6600 arena. That just leaves performance and performance/$. That's where the E6600 wins.

I said in RETAIL, you knwo just the chip. Everyone of the usual suspects has them in systems. The other thread about 5000+ has links to VooDooPC and Monarch. ABS has them also.

My doubts about 6600 availability are because they can't stop making PD so they will be blowing out so fast, they may first be in ONLY Dell systems. It is said they shipped $200M in revenue Core 2. Dell made $14B last quarter. They can sell those in a few days. But that's if the 13 available Core 2 mobos have been sufficiently ramped by Thurs.

They are pretty pricey too. Starting at $139 up to $275 on Newegg.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs AMD