Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

I have a windows 2000 network my server is running windows 2000 Advanced
Server and my workstation is running windows 2000 Professional. I have setup
group policies the restrictions work but i tryed to install sp1 from the
group policies software settings window but when i go to the workstation it
says "fatal error during installation".

Any help would be appreciated
Reply Back for more info

thanks

Jack,

You tried to install SP1. SP1 what? Windows 2000 SP1? Office 2000 SP1?
The restrictions work. What restrictions? Are you talking about the
restricted Groups Group Policy?

How are you trying to deploy SP1? I am 'assuming' that you mean Windows
2000 SP1. You would do this via creating a shared network folder and
'extracting' SP1 to that folder and then by making sure that 'Domain
Computers' has at least read/read and execute on both the 'share' and 'NTFS'
permissions. You also need to make sure that the GPO is linked to the OU in
which the computer account objects directly reside.

You also need to make sure that DNS is configured correctly. If DNS is not
correct then you are going to have a problem with a lot of things, GPOs
being just one of them.

Where are you seeing the 'Fatal error during installation' message?

--
Cary W. Shultz
Roanoke, VA 24012

http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com