Win2K Pro Local Admin Password lost

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.security (More info?)

Apologies for the cross-post, not sure where this should really be.

I have a problem and I'd like to know what my options are.

Today I had to install a new domain controller on a site, unfortunately the
old one died and for reasons too complex to go into here the directory wasnt
able to be restored.

My intention was for the workstations to simply leave the old domain, reboot
and then join the new one - unfortunately it turns out the local admin
password has been set to something the client has no record of, so I now
have 2 machines that arent in a domain, the only local user account is Admin
(to my knowledge) and they dont know what the password is.

At this stage I'm guessing I'm stuck with rebuilding these 2 machines but I
just thought I'd check if anyone had any suggestions on how I could avoid
this?

Thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about win2k local admin password lost
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.security (More info?)

    Might this link work for you?

    Cary W. Shultz
    Roanoke, VA 24012
    Microsoft Active Directory MVP

    http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
    http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com

    "Ash Ridley" <ash.ridley@deletethis.ash-ridley.net> wrote in message
    > Apologies for the cross-post, not sure where this should really be.
    >
    > I have a problem and I'd like to know what my options are.
    >
    > Today I had to install a new domain controller on a site, unfortunately
    > the
    > old one died and for reasons too complex to go into here the directory
    > wasnt
    > able to be restored.
    >
    > My intention was for the workstations to simply leave the old domain,
    > reboot
    > and then join the new one - unfortunately it turns out the local admin
    > password has been set to something the client has no record of, so I now
    > have 2 machines that arent in a domain, the only local user account is
    > Admin
    > (to my knowledge) and they dont know what the password is.
    >
    > At this stage I'm guessing I'm stuck with rebuilding these 2 machines but
    > just thought I'd check if anyone had any suggestions on how I could avoid
    > this?
    >
    > Thanks

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.security (More info?)

    See the link below for a free downloadable utility that works. --- Steve

    http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_administrator_password.htm

    "Ash Ridley" <ash.ridley@deletethis.ash-ridley.net> wrote in message
    > Apologies for the cross-post, not sure where this should really be.
    >
    > I have a problem and I'd like to know what my options are.
    >
    > Today I had to install a new domain controller on a site, unfortunately
    > the
    > old one died and for reasons too complex to go into here the directory
    > wasnt
    > able to be restored.
    >
    > My intention was for the workstations to simply leave the old domain,
    > reboot
    > and then join the new one - unfortunately it turns out the local admin
    > password has been set to something the client has no record of, so I now
    > have 2 machines that arent in a domain, the only local user account is
    > Admin
    > (to my knowledge) and they dont know what the password is.
    >
    > At this stage I'm guessing I'm stuck with rebuilding these 2 machines but
    > just thought I'd check if anyone had any suggestions on how I could avoid
    > this?
    >
    > Thanks

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.security (More info?)

    Thanks guys - much appreciated

    "Ash Ridley" <ash.ridley@deletethis.ash-ridley.net> wrote in message
    > Apologies for the cross-post, not sure where this should really be.
    >
    > I have a problem and I'd like to know what my options are.
    >
    > Today I had to install a new domain controller on a site, unfortunately
    the
    > old one died and for reasons too complex to go into here the directory
    wasnt
    > able to be restored.
    >
    > My intention was for the workstations to simply leave the old domain,
    reboot
    > and then join the new one - unfortunately it turns out the local admin
    > password has been set to something the client has no record of, so I now
    > have 2 machines that arent in a domain, the only local user account is
    Admin
    > (to my knowledge) and they dont know what the password is.
    >
    > At this stage I'm guessing I'm stuck with rebuilding these 2 machines but
    > just thought I'd check if anyone had any suggestions on how I could avoid
    > this?
    >
    > Thanks

Microsoft Active Directory Windows