Is there a motherboard that supports ddr and conroe

dulow

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
Im in a bind I dont wanna have to upgrade my ddr to ddr2 so Im lookin for a motherboard that will support the new Intel Conroe and ddr is there any if so please let me know. I have 2gbs of ram I dont wanna have just leave it behind. Iam trying to make this upgrade as cheap as I can.

hcforde

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
The path of least resistance is usually followed first. I believe that the chipset was made for DDR2 because it is cheaper than ddr to produce. All the first MB's will be of that flavor to get them into the hands of the public. Later you may find someone that will use a hybrid concoction and do something different. I have the same issue. I just bought dual 1Meg sticks of fast DDR 2-3-3-6 a few months ago. And I also have 4 fast 512K PNY 2.5-3-3-7 stick just laying around here looking for a home.

I have 2 ASUS A8n-SLI mb's in systems & one system I have to go to a conroe setup. So now in a week I will have an extra motherboard and 2 GIG of ram sitting and doing nothing.

dulow

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
Man I guess Now I have to look into a New Pci video card,New Ram, New motherboard,New cpu.......Not going to be as cheap as I planed to be. Thanks for info though guys.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Is there a motherboard that supports Conroe and DDR ?

The answer is Yes.

Check out http://www.asrock.com/product/775Dual-VSTA.htm

Not only does it support DDR and DDR II, it also supports PCI Express AND AGP.

Asrock's niche is to create "bridge" products like that.

Hope that helps.

no.

thats supposed to work as a bridge for conroe. people who have P4's whith DDR1 can use that. when they get conroe they wont have to swap mobo's.

440bx

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
Is there a motherboard that supports Conroe and DDR ?

The answer is Yes.

Check out http://www.asrock.com/product/775Dual-VSTA.htm

Not only does it support DDR and DDR II, it also supports PCI Express AND AGP.

Asrock's niche is to create "bridge" products like that.

Hope that helps.

no.

thats supposed to work as a bridge for conroe. people who have P4's whith DDR1 can use that. when they get conroe they wont have to swap mobo's.

dulow asked,
Im in a bind I dont wanna have to upgrade my ddr to ddr2 so Im lookin for a motherboard that will support the new Intel Conroe and ddr is there any if so please let me know.

I don't know what you mean by "no" but, that board from Asrock supports Conroe and allows him to use his DDR memory. It seems to me that's what he asked for.

I don't understand the rest of your reply, obviously he wants to swap the motherboard for one that supports Conroe and DDR.

If you were making an additional point that I missed, would you clarify, please ?

dulow

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
Ok I see how they do it now it has 2xddr slots and 2xddr2 slots for a total of 4 slots. Perfect and it has agp Great. Nice Im reading the manuel for more info.

TheMaster

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004
I think what he meant to say was that the DDR slots on the mobo are only for 800 bus and lower p4 processors....

The new conroe has a bus speed of 1066 mhz... well i'll let you do the math.

400 mhz DDR x2 = ?

I'll give u a hint its not 1066. :lol:

I wonder if my DDR 500 would work though, that would be sweet.

440bx

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
I see what you're saying.

The motherboard's manual does not place any restrictions on the possible combinations of CPU and memory. It does not even say that DDR and DDR II cannot be used simultaneously. It is actually possible to do, it all depends on the ability and versatility of the northbridge's memory controller. Looks like a nice little transitional board.

Given the nature of the board (a multiple technologies bridge), I doubt it offers the maximum performance possible. On the other hand, if the performance loss isn't too bad, say, no more than 3 to 6%, it is still a nice alternative to shelling out possibly a couple hundred dollars for new memory.

TheMaster

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004
Right, i think it might actually work with lower memory. Can't be 100 % certain as it isn't really a review.

Intel’s own chipsets do not allow combining Conroe processors with DDR-I memory, and the solution from ASRock helps upgrade the memory subsystem gradually.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mainboards/display/20060425175704.html

the performance will be reduced not only by the ASROCK chipset,
but also by the 800 mhz bus instead of 1066.
Since the multiplier is locked, thats a 20% decrease in performance unless they use some sort of divider.

I mean if you cant shell out 150 bucks for 2 gigs of some DDR II, then i guess this would be your mobo.

Hopefully it works. Otherwise you're out 150 bucks anyway and you're stuck with a pos Asrock mobo. :lol:

440bx

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
I just read a review of the board at

http://www.ocworkbench.com/2006/asrock/775Dual-VSTA/b1.htm

as you said, the FSB is a bit of an issue and a small performance penalty is paid. It's also worth noting that the board while not being the "fastest", it had decent performance, particularly when you consider its selling price of only $58.99 at newegg.

Unfortunately they benchmarked the board using DDR II, it would have been more interesting the see how it performed using DDR 400.

dimas

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2006
Im in a bind I dont wanna have to upgrade my ddr to ddr2 so Im lookin for a motherboard that will support the new Intel Conroe and ddr is there any if so please let me know. I have 2gbs of ram I dont wanna have just leave it behind. Iam trying to make this upgrade as cheap as I can.

Why not to use your DDR in iRAM drive from gigabyte and to buy new DDR2 for a new system?

Anandtech have a bunch of reviews at DDR400 and DRR2 speeds of this mobo compared to other mobo's with PCI and AGP comparisons. Its in three parts I can provide links if needed.

To cut a long story short, execpt at DRR2533 (which is by far the quickest, synchronicity issues I think) the DDR400 holds up very well, real world apps no noticable difference. And the AGP to PCI-Ex4 issues appears to have only a minor hit (<5%) except at 16x12 where it is slightly larger.

Looks like a very good transition board to get you to a new platform, and probably a very good board for the Socket A crowd. If you need more / better features you could get a new mobo in 12 months once you have slowly converted to DDR2 and PCI-E.

CannedTurkey

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
I actually just upgraded to this board (the Asrock 775Dual-VSTA) with an e6300, for the exact reasons stated above. I'm holding onto my gig of PC3200 and my agp x800XL for a while longer.

I haven't had much of a chance to play with it yet, but what I have seen has been a massive increase over my Sempron 2800.

Invader

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
I just got the AsRock 775i65G m/b which is for the Core2Duo. It takes DDR and AGP, which saves you a lot of money if you already have decent parts you don't want to give them away. With the C2D6300 it o/c easily to max. 300 fsb (1200 bus) and delivered a 50% increase in my 3dMark score with the same GPU and m/b chipset over my old Prescott @ 3.1!

Newegg has this m/b for only $35 oem! (be sure it is Rev. 2 to accept Core2)

Diabolique

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2006
I bought this mobo as well, for the same reasons, but it is not compatible with the Radeon x850XT AGP. Had to send it back.