weird occurances with windows 2000 DC

I have a windows 2000 server that has the following symptoms:

Cannot intall or uninstall anything... cannot start windows installer
service
Cannot view Network Connections Properties
Random Services in starting status
Cannot stop/start services
Cannot change startup options for services

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307309

have viewed above article and did the resolution and didn't seem to work.
the symptoms in the above article describe my problem to a tee. Any

Is this server a member server or a Domain Controller?

--
Cary W. Shultz
Roanoke, VA 24012

http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com

"freemanguard" <freemanguard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a windows 2000 server that has the following symptoms:
>
> Cannot intall or uninstall anything... cannot start windows installer
> service
> Cannot view Network Connections Properties
> Random Services in starting status
> Cannot stop/start services
> Cannot change startup options for services
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307309
>
> have viewed above article and did the resolution and didn't seem to work.
> the symptoms in the above article describe my problem to a tee. Any

Domain Controller

"Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP]" wrote:

> Is this server a member server or a Domain Controller?
>
> --
> Cary W. Shultz
> Roanoke, VA 24012
> Microsoft Active Directory MVP
>
> http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
> http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com
>

> "freemanguard" <freemanguard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a windows 2000 server that has the following symptoms:
> >
> > Cannot intall or uninstall anything... cannot start windows installer
> > service
> > Cannot view Network Connections Properties
> > Random Services in starting status
> > Cannot stop/start services
> > Cannot change startup options for services
> >
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307309
> >
> > have viewed above article and did the resolution and didn't seem to work.
> > the symptoms in the above article describe my problem to a tee. Any
> > suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Opps! I guess it is also in the subject line, isn't it?

Okay, nominate this one for the dumbest question of the week!

Just a general question: have you run dcdiag? That would, however, require
you to have installed the Support Tools already.

Is this the only Domain Controller in the environment?