Updating from 98 to XP

Ben

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi - Wonder if anyone can help me with a very basic
question: If I update my operating system from 98 to XP
Home edition, do I need to save all my current files and
programs seperately to save them from being lost or will
they be automatically kept on my hard drive as part of the
new OS?
I need to update from 98 to XP to run my ipod. I don't
suppose anyone knows another way around this?
Thanks,
Ben

In news:0b2001c4abb0$61d5c590$a401280a@phx.gbl,
Ben <benbright@netvigator.com> typed:

> Hi - Wonder if anyone can help me with a very basic
> question: If I update my operating system from 98 to XP
> Home edition, do I need to save all my current files and
> programs seperately to save them from being lost or will
> they be automatically kept on my hard drive as part of the
> new OS?

By definition, an "upgrade" (as opposed to a clean installation)
means that all data, programs, etc. are kept intact.

However there are no guarantees that it always works perfectly.
However unlikely, it's always possible that something might go
wrong. For that reason it's prudent to be sure you have a backup
of anything you can't afford to lose before beginning.

Please reply to the newsgroup

> If I update my operating system from 98 to XP Home ...

How much RAM do you have?
My XP Pro is running very slowly with 256 MB.
Rgds, JohnH

First insert the XP cd in your drive and run the compatibility checker to
make sure what you already have is compatible with XP.

In news:%23PvlSa8qEHA.536@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
John Herbster <no-swen@no-swen.com> typed:

>> If I update my operating system from 98 to XP Home ...
>
> How much RAM do you have?
> My XP Pro is running very slowly with 256 MB.

As always, how much RAM you need depends on what apps you run,
but for most people running a mix of common business
applications, 256MB is adequate. If your machine is running very
slowly with 256 MB, I would look elsewhere for your problems:
slow processor, spyware, viruses, or performance-robbing
background programs starting automatically.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Upgrading to XP can go very well for some and can really be a
disaster for others. You should make absolutely certain that you have made a
backup of your important data first. This can not be over emphasised. While
most well thought out upgrades are problem free no major upgrade like this
can be 100% perfect so BACKUP. In my opinion it is preferable to make a full
system image of your setup using a product like Acronis TrueImage or
Norton Ghost (or other imaging program). That way if things really go wrong
you can quickly revert back to your old setup to either try again or live
with.

There are a number of first things to do before upgrading.
1)You need to ensure that you have XP drivers for your hardware. If you
install this little freeware app it will tell you a lot about your hardware
and direct you to downloads
http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en Make certain that
you have drivers for your motherboard, network card or modem. You may need
to get on line ASAP after the upgrade.

2) Windows XP has an Upgrade Advisor on the CD. You should run that before
upgrading and heed the report it generates. You can download the Advisor
from here but it is very large so be forewarned
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/advisor.mspx

3) I suggest that if you have a high speed connection you should download
SP2 and copy to CD. You can get the full version of it here
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&displaylang=en

4) Run anti-spyware programs like CWShredder, Ad-Aware or SpyBot Search &
Destroy etc and do a virus scan. http://aumha.org/win5/a/parasite.htm

5) Prior to running the upgrade you must do some serious disk cleanup and
maintenance work. The first thing to do is to uninstall some programs that
will cause problems for you later if not uninstalled first. You can later
reinstall them if they are supported in XP. a) You must uninstall all CD
Writing software - (Easy CD Creator, Direct CD, Nero, InCD etc) Look for
upgrades before reinstalling in XP.
b) Uninstall any third party disk management tools like Norton SystemWorks,
GoBack, System Mechanic or the like. These can be reinstalled after the
upgrade.
c) Uninstall any Antivirus software and any Firewall software you have
installed. These can be reinstalled after the upgrade.
d) Reset any tweaking programs you've used like Tweakui to their defaults
and then remove the application
e) Ensure that you have the installation files or CDs handy for your
currently installed apps. Many programs make the transition fine but others
will need to be reinstalled again after the upgrade.
f) Do a decent cleanup, dump temp files, empty the recycle bin,
g) Run defrag.

The above should render your system in decent shape for an upgrade

6) Unplug unnecessary peripherals like scanners, printers, cameras and the
like.

7) Reboot to the desktop and pop the XP CD into the drive. Select
Install->Upgrade [recommended] and let the games begin.

8) When the install completes you will be asked if you want to Activate.
Choose Not at this time. You really need to finish the setup and ensure that
your hardware is supported before Activating.

9) You don't want to go online until you've enabled the Firewall. In fact
you may wish to temporarily disconnect your internet by pulling the cable.
Do this to avoid contracting the Blaster or Sasser Worm virus.

10) Install SP2 from the download you saved and finally install your
Antivirus software.

Good Luck. More info here
Upgrade info http://www.aumha.org/a/xpupgrad.htm
Clean Install info http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/clean_install.htm
Windows Product Activation http://www.aumha.org/a/wpa.htm
Service Pack 2 info
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=windowsxpsp2
--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"Ben" <benbright@netvigator.com> wrote in message
| Hi - Wonder if anyone can help me with a very basic
| question: If I update my operating system from 98 to XP
| Home edition, do I need to save all my current files and
| programs seperately to save them from being lost or will
| they be automatically kept on my hard drive as part of the
| new OS?
| I need to update from 98 to XP to run my ipod. I don't
| suppose anyone knows another way around this?
| Thanks,
| Ben

kline

Distinguished
May 20, 2004

"Ben" <benbright@netvigator.com> wrote in message
> Hi - Wonder if anyone can help me with a very basic
> question: If I update my operating system from 98 to XP
> Home edition, do I need to save all my current files and
> programs seperately to save them from being lost or will
> they be automatically kept on my hard drive as part of the
> new OS?
> I need to update from 98 to XP to run my ipod. I don't
> suppose anyone knows another way around this?
> Thanks,
> Ben

Hi Ben

Not tried it myself, but there's info and an app here that apparently lets
you use an ipod under win98:

http://www.vonnieda.org/vPod/

Kline

> > My XP Pro is running very slowly with 256 MB.

"Ken Blake" wrote

> As always, how much RAM you need depends on what
> apps you run,

Right after boot up, if I bring up one copy of File Explorer
and delete a small file like a lnk or empty directory folder,
it can take 10 to 20 seconds with a lot of disk activity and
little CPU activity.

> but for most people running a mix of common business
> applications, 256MB is adequate. If your machine is running
> very slowly with 256 MB, I would look elsewhere for your
> problems: slow processor, spyware, viruses, or

> performance-robbing background programs starting
> automatically.

How do I identify which of the 45 background processes are
not supposed to be running?

TIA, JohnH

In news:%23eKDoX$qEHA.2732@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
John Herbster <no-swen@no-swen.com> typed:

>> > My XP Pro is running very slowly with 256 MB.
>
> "Ken Blake" wrote
>
>> As always, how much RAM you need depends on what
>> apps you run,
>
> Right after boot up, if I bring up one copy of File Explorer
> and delete a small file like a lnk or empty directory folder,
> it can take 10 to 20 seconds with a lot of disk activity and
> little CPU activity.

That sound like either you have performance-robbing background
programs loading automatically, or, more likely, that you are
infested with spyware.

Do you regularly run at least two of the standard anti-spyware
programs? I personally use Spyware Blaster, Adaware, and Spyware
Search and Destroy.

>> but for most people running a mix of common business
>> applications, 256MB is adequate. If your machine is running
>> very slowly with 256 MB, I would look elsewhere for your
>> problems: slow processor, spyware, viruses, or
>
>> performance-robbing background programs starting
>> automatically.
>
> How do I identify which of the 45 background processes are
> not supposed to be running?

You can post their names here for more information, but I doubt
whether that's your problem. Spyware is much more likely.

Ben wrote:
> Hi - Wonder if anyone can help me with a very basic
> question: If I update my operating system from 98 to XP
> Home edition, do I need to save all my current files and
> programs seperately to save them from being lost or will
> they be automatically kept on my hard drive as part of the
> new OS?
> I need to update from 98 to XP to run my ipod. I don't
> suppose anyone knows another way around this?
> Thanks,
> Ben

WinXP is designed to install and upgrade the existing operating
system while simultaneously preserving your applications and data, and
translating as many personalized settings as possible. The process is
designed to be, and normally is, quite painless. That said, things
can go wrong, in a small number of cases. If your data is at all
important to you, back it up before proceeding.

Have you made sure that your PC's hardware components are capable
of supporting WinXP? This information will be found at the PC's
manufacturer's web site, and on Microsoft's Windows Catalog:
(http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx) Additionally, run
Microsoft WinXP Upgrade Advisor to see if you have any incompatible
hardware components or applications.

You should, before proceeding, take a few minutes to ensure that
there are WinXP device drivers available for all of the machine's
components. There may not be, if the PC was specifically designed for
Win98/Me. Also bear in mind that PCs designed for, sold and run fine
with Win9x/Me very often do not meet WinXP's much more stringent
hardware quality requirements. This is particularly true of many
models in Compaq's consumer-class Presario product line or HP's
consumer-class Pavilion product line. WinXP, like WinNT and Win2K
before it, is quite sensitive to borderline defective or substandard
hardware (particularly motherboards, RAM and hard drives) that will
still support Win9x.

HOW TO Prepare to Upgrade Win98 or WinMe
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q316639

Upgrading to Windows XP
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having
both at once. - RAH

> >> As always, how much RAM you need depends on what
> >> apps you run,

> > Right after boot up, if I bring up one copy of File Explorer
> > and delete a small file like a lnk or empty directory folder,
> > it can take 10 to 20 seconds with a lot of disk activity and
> > little CPU activity.

> That sound like either you have performance-robbing
> background programs loading automatically, or, more likely,
> that you are infested with spyware.
> Do you regularly run at least two of the standard anti-spyware
> programs?

No. However, I just ran Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D w/o
seeing any improvement.

> >> ... If your machine is running very slowly with 256 MB,
> >> I would look ... for slow processor, spyware, viruses, or
> >> performance-robbing background programs starting
> >> automatically.

> > How do I identify which of the 45 background processes
> > are not supposed to be running?

> You can post their names here for more information,
> but I doubt whether that's your problem. Spyware ...

Do any of the following look suspicious?
Processes WinXP Pro SP2 2004-10-07a
-----
alg LOCAL
Apache SYSTEM
Apache SYSTEM
ati2evxx SYSTEM
atiptaxx
BacsTray
BCMWLTRY SYSTEM
carpserv
CIDAEMON SYSTEM
CIDAEMON SYSTEM
cisvc SYSTEM
csrss SYSTEM
DadApp
dadtray
Directcd
DSentry
explorer
hpztsb07
lsass SYSTEM
mcagent
McShield SYSTEM
mcvsrte SYSTEM
mcvsshld
mdm SYSTEM
notepad
services SYSTEM
smss SYSTEM
spoolsv SYSTEM
Support SYSTEM
svchost SYSTEM
svchost NETWORK SERVICE
svchost SYSTEM
svchost NETWORK SERVICE
svchost LOCAL SERVICE
svchost
SynTPEnh
SynTPLpr
System
System Idle Process
taskmgr
winlogon SYSTEM
WLTRYSVC SYSTEM
wscntfy

I normally run this computer w/o a network connection.
Would that be likely to cause operations like deletes
and dropdowns of comboboxes to be very slow?
--JohnH

John I see you have CIDAEMON running. That's the "Content Indexing Daemon",
a background process that builds a fast search index of the files on your
computer. Chances are you don't need it, and can disable the indexing
service. Right click your Hard Drive icon(s) while in My Computer and select
Properties. At the bottom of the General Tab you should see a check box for
Indexing services. Uncheck the box and click Apply then on the next window
that pops up check to have it Apply to C and all subfolders and files. If a
box pops open while the changes are being made choose to Ignore All.
--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote

> ... you have CIDAEMON running. That's the "Content
> Indexing Daemon", a background process that builds a
> fast search index of the files on your computer.
> Chances are you don't need it, and can disable the
> indexing service.

Harry,

Thanks for the suggestion. You forgot to mention
that it would take a while. It finished in 47 minutes.

Now, right-clicking on My computer and selecting
Search on C-drive required 20 seconds to bring
up the search selection screen.
Deleting a small file took 7 seconds.

Rebooting showed the same slow performance.

Interestingly though, when the file was deleted from
the result screen of a Search. It disappeared
immediately from the search window, but it took
10 seconds for the delete progress box to close-up.

--JohnH

"Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote

> John I see you have CIDAEMON running.
> That's the "Content Indexing Daemon", ...

Harry,

I followed you directions and cleared the Allow Indexing
Service check box and did the Apply. Before this, there
were two CIDAEMON processes, then after the cleanup
*none*, and now after a couple of reboots there is one
CIDAEMON .EXE running again. The Allow Indexing
is still *unchecked*. Why did it start again?

I notice that "cisvc.exe" process is also now present.
Googling found
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinXP/Q_20585121.html
which says that cisvc is also part of the indexing service.

There are three copies of CIDAEMON.EXE file on the HD.
One in C:\I386, another in C:\Windows\System32; and
something named CIDAEMON.EXE-01BEEBF3.pf in
C:\Windows\Prefetch.

System is still slow. Any more suggestions?

Rgds, JohnH

| "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote
|
| > ... you have CIDAEMON running. That's the "Content
| > Indexing Daemon", a background process that builds a
| > fast search index of the files on your computer.
| > Chances are you don't need it, and can disable the
| > indexing service.
|
| Harry,
|
| Thanks for the suggestion. You forgot to mention
| that it would take a while. It finished in 47 minutes.
|
| Now, right-clicking on My computer and selecting
| Search on C-drive required 20 seconds to bring
| up the search selection screen.
| Deleting a small file took 7 seconds.
|
| Rebooting showed the same slow performance.
|
| Interestingly though, when the file was deleted from
| the result screen of a Search. It disappeared
| immediately from the search window, but it took
| 10 seconds for the delete progress box to close-up.
|
| --JohnH

Actually I didn't forget to mention how long it would take. It takes 5
minutes on my system to disable indexing services and I have no idea how
long it might take on someone else's system as it really depends on your
system specs and how many files you have on your system to clear.

If you haven't already done so you can
1) Run CHKDSK /F
2) Run Disk Cleanup
3) Run Defrag
4)Turn off unnecessary eye-candy
5)You can try dumping the contents of the C:/Windows/Prefectch folder and
see what that does. Prefetch is supposed to speed things up but I've heard
that in some instances it can be a problem
6)Try going into MSCONFIG->Startup Tab and clear all the boxes then reboot.
then go to MSCONFIG and gradually begin adding items back to see if you can
isolate the problem

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp