Robert

Hi,
I have a question regarding AD crash recovery. I was reading about how to
add a DC to AD after a crash and it said that I have to remove the DC from
AD before adding it again. However I decided to add it without deleting the
old object from AD, just to see what the error was.
I reinstalled windows 2000, named the server the same as it was before with
the same IP etc. The weird thing is that I was able to add it with no
errors, AD picked it as the same DC and somehow assigned it to the old DC
object. I'm not complaining but I was just wondering how this was possible??
Shouldn't the SID be different or something? what am I missing here.

Thank you for any explanations

robert wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a question regarding AD crash recovery. I was reading about how to
> add a DC to AD after a crash and it said that I have to remove the DC from
> AD before adding it again. However I decided to add it without deleting the
> old object from AD, just to see what the error was.
> I reinstalled windows 2000, named the server the same as it was before with
> the same IP etc. The weird thing is that I was able to add it with no
> errors, AD picked it as the same DC and somehow assigned it to the old DC
> object. I'm not complaining but I was just wondering how this was possible??
> Shouldn't the SID be different or something? what am I missing here.
>
> Thank you for any explanations

probably You will notice some problems with replication and errors in
event logs

--
Tomasz Onyszko
http://www.w2k.pl

Robert

I checked the log files, no problems reports. In fact the changes are
replicating fine, even DNS was automatically replicated over.
The server that crashed also had a shared folder on another partition with
NTFS permissions set on it, surprisingly all the NFTS permissions were also
retained.