corsair value select and corsair xms compatability? help!!

harvard627

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
Hi,

I have the 9npa+sli nforce 4 sli motherboard installed on my computer with an AMD 3500+ processor. I have installed * CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory onto my computer. I was wondering if I added the CORSAIR XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory with a Cas latency of 2 and a timing of 2-3-3-6 on the XMS ram, if it will be compatible? Or should i just stick with buying another 2x512 gb of the Corsair Valueselect.

Thanks.

Ragnarok

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Hi,

I have the 9npa+sli nforce 4 sli motherboard installed on my computer with an AMD 3500+ processor. I have installed * CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory onto my computer. I was wondering if I added the CORSAIR XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory with a Cas latency of 2 and a timing of 2-3-3-6 on the XMS ram, if it will be compatible? Or should i just stick with buying another 2x512 gb of the Corsair Valueselect.

Thanks.

I'd stick with the 2x512 if they are dual channel.

Not sure on the compatiblity thing though. Sorry

Hi,

Thanks.

I'm sure they would work if you plugged them in...but the XMS will not realize CAS2 due to the latency on the ValueSelect being CAS2.5 or CAS3 (depending on the modules)...the system will run all the modules at the same CAS...you might ge lucky and be able to run the ValueSelect at CAS2 by changing the timings in the BIOS but, being ValueSelect it might not be entirely stable...generally speaking, you want a matched pair for dual channel and 2 matched pairs if running 4 modules...you might be better off getting another pair of ValueSelect...not for nothing, the ValueSelect is good RAM, stable and reliable, and you will realize a performance difference in gaming going from 1GB to 2GB of memory...Good luck!

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
The rams would work together but it will reduce the XMS rams performance to match the value rams. Meaning if you mix different rams together it will run at that of the slowest rams. So basically you're wasting the XMS for not using it as it is suppose to run at higher speeds. But overall 2Gb is a lot better than 1Gb regardless of the performance.

4Aces

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
First most Nforce 4 boards don't like 4 sticks of mem and they fall back to 333MHz instead of default 400. I'd advise selling the value ram or using it in a different machine and get corasir's xms twinx2048-3200c2, you'll have two sticks one gig each and only a few tweaks, usually bumping the default mem voltage to 2.7 or 2.75 depending on board. It should then run stable at 2-3-3-6 when manually selected in the bios.
Second don't count out OCZ memory from the builds I've done with it they seem to be about equal to corasir's.

Red_Bull

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2008
Hi guys, I've been trolling through the posts here, found this one and have a similar question.

My mobo is an ASUS P4C800 - Deluxe E
The difference is that I already have Corsair TWINX1024-3200LL 1GB(2x 512MB) the CMX series with low latency 2.5-3-2-6.
Due to budget restraints I have ordered Corsair VS2GBKIT400C3 2GB(2x 1GB) the value select series with higher latency 3-3-3-8

My question is what are my best options considering the 4 sticks I will have available?

Should I just run the new 2GB of ram in slots A1 and A2 (which will double my current ram capacity) and be confident of stability, and leave my 2 old sticks out.
or
Should I run all 4 sticks, with the 2 new sticks in slots A1 and A2, and my 2 old sticks in slots B1 and B2, giving me 3GB. or will this give me stability issues?

I think from what I've been reading in the forum, that the second option should give me 3GB all running in dual channel, but will just run the system at the slower latency?

If stability is going to be an issue I am quite happy with option 1 as it doubles my ram, but if not, then I would prefer option 2 as it will triple my ram, and it seems a shame to discard working ram if it can still be safely/effectively utilized

Thx in advance to anyone who can point me in the right direction :)