bitsbytesandboolean

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
Hi All -

New to over clocking... how does AMD and or Intel know if the chip has been over clocked. I was going to OC my next build, and contemplating going with a better processor if OCing will kill my warrant.

I am debating to buy the AMD X2 3800 and juice it (I have a pretty good MOBO and RAM)

OR

Buy the AMD 4400 X2 for $80 more after the price drop and not to overclock..

Thoughts? Experience?

Thanks...

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005
Well if there is no physical damage to the chip then they will honour your warrenty but RMA'ing a chip that you've killed with overclocking doesnt help anyone and just means higher prices for everyone. All of the 1MB cache A64's are a rippoff at this point so if u want the performance with no risk I would reccomend looking into the X2 4600+.

bitsbytesandboolean

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
Thanks for the info and a couple things...

1. I am not looking to fry a CPU just to get a new one. For example, If i bought a 2.0ghz processor and over clocked it to 2.1 ghz... technically I would be over clocking and thus void the warranty. I was just wondering if AMD or Intel can tell if a chip has been over-clocked even if it's not "fried"

2. I heard the cache make the 4400 chip 8-10% faster... why would they be a wast of money after the price drop tomorrow?

Looking forward to your input...thanks again.

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005
Main reason they will be a ripoff is that the 4000,4400,and 4800(sry my bad the 4800+ has been included in the price cuts(~$300 US) but i have a feeling that they may be hard to come by) are not included in the price cuts from what i've seen and read. AMD is depending on the hardcore and the ignorant to buy the rest of the little-that-is-left 1MB cache stock at their current pricepoints and cutting the costs of the other chips by up to 55%.