no more slpash screens?

Guys/Gals,

Strange one that has just started hapenning on our network (Win2k AD, all
clinets win2k pro).

All of a sudden, we no longer have the 3 screens before the ctrl+alt+del one
that advise, applying sec, preparing network conns etc. Also at logoff we
no longer get 'saving you settings'.

Is there a gpo setting that a member of staff could have inadvertantley
modified to alter this behaviour? Or could it be an MS update?

TIA
7 answers Last reply
More about slpash screens

    Isn't there a BIOS setting that controls this?

    --
    Cary W. Shultz
    Roanoke, VA 24012

    http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
    http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com

    "Andrew Story" <andrewDOTstoryATjameswalkerDOTbiz> wrote in message
    > Guys/Gals,
    >
    > Strange one that has just started hapenning on our network (Win2k AD, all
    > clinets win2k pro).
    >
    > All of a sudden, we no longer have the 3 screens before the ctrl+alt+del
    > one
    > that advise, applying sec, preparing network conns etc. Also at logoff we
    > no longer get 'saving you settings'.
    >
    > Is there a gpo setting that a member of staff could have inadvertantley
    > modified to alter this behaviour? Or could it be an MS update?
    >
    > TIA

    Hi Cary,

    Not too sure about that one, just had a look in the BIOS and couldn't see
    any options regarding this.

    Just in case anyone wasn't aware of this, I did find a GPO setting that can
    be enabled that disables all those screens though : ) but alas it was not
    configured/enabled so not sure what it is : / no viruses either the
    machines are clean as whistles. Any other ideas ladies/gents?

    "Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP]" <cwshultz@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > Isn't there a BIOS setting that controls this?
    >
    > --
    > Cary W. Shultz
    > Roanoke, VA 24012
    > Microsoft Active Directory MVP
    >
    > http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
    > http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com
    >

    > "Andrew Story" <andrewDOTstoryATjameswalkerDOTbiz> wrote in message
    > > Guys/Gals,
    > >
    > > Strange one that has just started hapenning on our network (Win2k AD,
    all
    > > clinets win2k pro).
    > >
    > > All of a sudden, we no longer have the 3 screens before the ctrl+alt+del
    > > one
    > > that advise, applying sec, preparing network conns etc. Also at logoff
    we
    > > no longer get 'saving you settings'.
    > >
    > > Is there a gpo setting that a member of staff could have inadvertantley
    > > modified to alter this behaviour? Or could it be an MS update?
    > >
    > > TIA

    Andrew Story <andrewDOTstoryATjameswalkerDOTbiz> wrote:
    > Hi Cary,
    >
    > Not too sure about that one, just had a look in the BIOS and couldn't
    > see any options regarding this.
    >
    > Just in case anyone wasn't aware of this, I did find a GPO setting
    > that can be enabled that disables all those screens though : ) but
    > alas it was not configured/enabled so not sure what it is : / no
    > viruses either the machines are clean as whistles. Any other ideas
    > ladies/gents?
    >

    > "Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP]" <cwshultz@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> Isn't there a BIOS setting that controls this?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Cary W. Shultz
    >> Roanoke, VA 24012
    >> Microsoft Active Directory MVP
    >>
    >> http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
    >> http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com
    >>

    >> "Andrew Story" <andrewDOTstoryATjameswalkerDOTbiz> wrote in message
    >>> Guys/Gals,
    >>>
    >>> Strange one that has just started hapenning on our network (Win2k
    >>> AD, all clinets win2k pro).
    >>>
    >>> All of a sudden, we no longer have the 3 screens before the
    >>> ctrl+alt+del one
    >>> that advise, applying sec, preparing network conns etc. Also at
    >>> logoff we no longer get 'saving you settings'.
    >>>
    >>> Is there a gpo setting that a member of staff could have
    >>> inadvertantley modified to alter this behaviour? Or could it be an
    >>> MS update?

    I believe the Inforration you want is in the KB:
    How To Enable Verbose Startup, Shutdown, Logon, and Logoff Status Messages
    in the Windows Server 2003 Family:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;325376

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

    Maybe it is just with some of the systems...I *believe* that it is the
    'OEMSplashPage'......or something similar. Maybe not what you want.

    --
    Cary W. Shultz
    Roanoke, VA 24012
    Microsoft Active Directory MVP

    http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
    http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com

    "Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP]" <cwshultz@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > Isn't there a BIOS setting that controls this?
    >
    > --
    > Cary W. Shultz
    > Roanoke, VA 24012
    > Microsoft Active Directory MVP
    >
    > http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
    > http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com
    >

    > "Andrew Story" <andrewDOTstoryATjameswalkerDOTbiz> wrote in message
    >> Guys/Gals,
    >>
    >> Strange one that has just started hapenning on our network (Win2k AD, all
    >> clinets win2k pro).
    >>
    >> All of a sudden, we no longer have the 3 screens before the ctrl+alt+del
    >> one
    >> that advise, applying sec, preparing network conns etc. Also at logoff
    >> we
    >> no longer get 'saving you settings'.
    >>
    >> Is there a gpo setting that a member of staff could have inadvertantley
    >> modified to alter this behaviour? Or could it be an MS update?
    >>
    >> TIA

    Andrew,

    Where did you find these settings that can be configured? I have a little
    test lab here ( WIN2000 AD with WIN2000 clients ). I will gladly check it
    out for you so that you do not need to worry about mucking up the production
    environment.

    --

    > Hi Cary,
    >
    > Not too sure about that one, just had a look in the BIOS and couldn't see
    > any options regarding this.
    >
    > Just in case anyone wasn't aware of this, I did find a GPO setting that
    > can
    > be enabled that disables all those screens though : ) but alas it was not
    > configured/enabled so not sure what it is : / no viruses either the
    > machines are clean as whistles. Any other ideas ladies/gents?
    >

    > "Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP]" <cwshultz@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> Isn't there a BIOS setting that controls this?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Cary W. Shultz
    >> Roanoke, VA 24012
    >> Microsoft Active Directory MVP
    >>
    >> http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
    >> http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com
    >>

    >> "Andrew Story" <andrewDOTstoryATjameswalkerDOTbiz> wrote in message
    >> > Guys/Gals,
    >> >
    >> > Strange one that has just started hapenning on our network (Win2k AD,
    > all
    >> > clinets win2k pro).
    >> >
    >> > All of a sudden, we no longer have the 3 screens before the
    >> > ctrl+alt+del
    >> > one
    >> > that advise, applying sec, preparing network conns etc. Also at logoff
    > we
    >> > no longer get 'saving you settings'.
    >> >
    >> > Is there a gpo setting that a member of staff could have inadvertantley
    >> > modified to alter this behaviour? Or could it be an MS update?
    >> >
    >> > TIA

    Okay, if I were to actually read the post correctly then I might be in a
    better position to give an intelligent response.....

    --

    > Maybe it is just with some of the systems...I *believe* that it is the
    > 'OEMSplashPage'......or something similar. Maybe not what you want.
    >
    > --
    > Cary W. Shultz
    > Roanoke, VA 24012
    > Microsoft Active Directory MVP
    >
    > http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
    > http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com
    >

    > "Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP]" <cwshultz@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> Isn't there a BIOS setting that controls this?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Cary W. Shultz
    >> Roanoke, VA 24012
    >> Microsoft Active Directory MVP
    >>
    >> http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
    >> http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com
    >>

    >> "Andrew Story" <andrewDOTstoryATjameswalkerDOTbiz> wrote in message
    >>> Guys/Gals,
    >>>
    >>> Strange one that has just started hapenning on our network (Win2k AD,
    >>> all
    >>> clinets win2k pro).
    >>>
    >>> All of a sudden, we no longer have the 3 screens before the ctrl+alt+del
    >>> one
    >>> that advise, applying sec, preparing network conns etc. Also at logoff
    >>> we
    >>> no longer get 'saving you settings'.
    >>>
    >>> Is there a gpo setting that a member of staff could have inadvertantley
    >>> modified to alter this behaviour? Or could it be an MS update?
    >>>
    >>> TIA

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    Andrew,

    I found very quickly what settings you probably mean in Computer
    Configuration \ Administrative Templates \ System. One of the settings
    simply adds additional information in the three screen that you mentioned.
    The other one, however, completely removes these screens. This is the one
    that is most likely set in your environment.

    The one that completely removes these screens is the 'Disable Boot /
    Shutdown / Logon / Logoff Status Messages'. This is most likely the culprit
    in your environment.

    The other one that I mentioned above is the 'Verbose vs. normal status
    messages' setting. This simply adds additional information in the status
    message. However, it goes by very quickly ( as you might expect ).

    I do not know what happened with me reading the initial post. I somehow had
    in my head something completely different.
    --

    > Andrew,
    >
    > Where did you find these settings that can be configured? I have a little
    > test lab here ( WIN2000 AD with WIN2000 clients ). I will gladly check it
    > out for you so that you do not need to worry about mucking up the
    > production environment.
    >
    > --
    > Cary W. Shultz
    > Roanoke, VA 24012
    > Microsoft Active Directory MVP
    >
    > http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
    > http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com
    >

    > "Andrew Story" <andrewDOTstoryATjameswalkerDOTbiz> wrote in message
    >> Hi Cary,
    >>
    >> Not too sure about that one, just had a look in the BIOS and couldn't see
    >> any options regarding this.
    >>
    >> Just in case anyone wasn't aware of this, I did find a GPO setting that
    >> can
    >> be enabled that disables all those screens though : ) but alas it was not
    >> configured/enabled so not sure what it is : / no viruses either the
    >> machines are clean as whistles. Any other ideas ladies/gents?
    >>

    >> "Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP]" <cwshultz@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >>> Isn't there a BIOS setting that controls this?
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Cary W. Shultz
    >>> Roanoke, VA 24012
    >>> Microsoft Active Directory MVP
    >>>
    >>> http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
    >>> http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com
    >>>

    >>> "Andrew Story" <andrewDOTstoryATjameswalkerDOTbiz> wrote in message

    >> all

    >> we

Microsoft Active Directory Windows